register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

View Poll Results: What would YOU do?
Get the repair done over the winter. I like my car pristine! 23 71.88%
Check the oil and top off whenever. Get it fixed when I'm tired of dripping oil in the parking lot! 3 9.38%
Use some type of "Stop Leak/Seal Restorer" and see if it works! 2 6.25%
Screw it, oil is cheap and the car has 140K on it! 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #101
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Alright you leak nazis, back to the original purpose. Here is my plan.

Just switched the gallon of conventional oil I had for High Mileage. Like Arkie said, I've been missing out on seal conditioners. I'm gonna go through that whole gallon. Hopefully seeing a reduction in loss. If that doesn't stop it completely, gonna put a bottle of Lucus seal conditioner in (8$. I don't wanna hear it. It's 2017 and it's not gonna clog anything). Then if that doesn't work, fixing it. I don't think the gasket is cracked or broken, just needs a little pump up juice probably. Mechanic was very nonchalant when he inspected it and watched it run. I only waste 20$ by doing this plan if I then decide to fix it. Big whoop.

Also going to check and change the PCV valve. It's easy to get to and I did notice my plugs were a little blackened when I bought the car and changed them out so it makes sense.

In the meantime, going to list it for sale as well just to see if there's any interest.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #102
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
It's not something you want to jump on and go to right to 11.

I got the tires nice and hot before I let him ride it. He did fine. I think he was scared to hang off because it's kind of a tall bike, but he passed me anyway.
Yea, he said the riding position was wonky... but I think that would suit my tall lengthy bones quite well!
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #103
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Okay, so back to the issue. To sell the Celica or not. I have been selected to attend Air Force OTS (was selected way back in April) and will leave sometime in 2018 or 2019 (2018 likely, unknown when exactly).

So do I really need 2 automobiles AND 2 bikes? If I can sell if for over $3,000 then the truck was an even trade, and more importantly, could help stock the funds for when I quit 3 months before I leave for OTS to visit FZ1OA friends all over the country and ride and enjoy myself (I could do it now with the funds I have but an additional 3G would be nice).

I do love the GTS, drives and handles amazing, and if I fix that leak, I'll keep her. But it just doesn't seem practical. Hell, I live in an apartment right now and taking up 3 parking spots and having tools and parts in a little closet isn't practical.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #104
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

I'll post to CL around 3700 and see what happens. I'll post the link so y'all can see.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:35 PM   #105
rdcusmc

Congrats on selection! Sell the car. Other things to if you can. Limit distractions and logistics burden since this is a big attention and resource consuming transition. You need to be consumed with new profession, training, culture in order to set yourself up for success. Hard to recover from a slow start in military service. Move heaven and earth to be lean and focused.

Best
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #106
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Okay, so back to the issue. To sell the Celica or not. I have been selected to attend Air Force OTS (was selected way back in April) and will leave sometime in 2018 or 2019 (2018 likely, unknown when exactly).

So do I really need 2 automobiles AND 2 bikes?
I have THREE vehicles and FIVE bikes. Man up.
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (*Not a real Harley)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #107
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Sell some stuff just 'cause it'll spread you too thin. The Celica is always a reliable back up, a truck sells fast around here.
This is all assuming you will be traveling for the new gig.

Buy a house. Rent it out while you are away, that apartment is a waste of equity.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #108
WDD

Congrats on OTS! What do you want to do for Uncle Sam?

Agree to focus on your new career. Keep the truck, sell everything else. Have a garage sale to clear out your apartment of what you don't need, put the small amount of stuff you want to keep in storage. Do not buy a house and rent it out. Do you want to be landlord while at OTS? No way.

If you want a bike after you get your officer's papers and end up somewhere, you can always pick one up. Don't put the bikes in storage only to have them sit for a year or so before you get back to the area.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #109
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Stuff will go into storage yes.

Planning on letting some forum member or members watch over my bikes while I go to OTS and training. FZ isn't worth sh*t, and the SV isn't either without taking a loss. I'd rather someone else at least use it on the track and give me like a very minimal "rental" fee for the SV, renter takes care of maintenance and can flog it at the track.

Career will take focus for sure but the Fizzy has sentimental value and I don't wanna sell it just for 1000 just to move it. Then again, how cheap will the Gen 1 be when I get ready to buy again? Ha.

. I don't have much stuff at all besides my vehicles. Honestly, could probably fit it all in a 5x8 or 10.

Yeah I've been wanting to get into the housing market but I won't do that until after I get a base. I do have a 798 Fico score (768 Experian) to help with low interest loans. Vet benefits with home loans will be nice too. Plenty of time to prepare for everything luckily.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:54 PM   #110
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
I have THREE vehicles and FIVE bikes. Man up.
True but you aren't gone for 9 weeks and then another temporary 1-2 year training station. But I'm gonna set that as my goal now can 3 of the 5 bikes be little mini pocket bikes?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #111
WDD

So... what's the game plan?

What field going into? Pilot, etc.?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #112
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

I was gonna say, if you need someone to watch over the SV while you're gone, I'd be happy to give it a home
Old 11-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #113
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Jake, the FZ may not be worth anything but you know it's a good one. I would not let it go and buy another later.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #114
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Jake, the FZ may not be worth anything but you know it's a good one. I would not let it go and buy another later.
I think that's his point, it's not worth selling. Easier to pay storage or have someone else look after it.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #115
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

^^^
Old 11-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #116
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Well I bought the Celica for 3500$ 2 years ago. Put 22,000 miles on it. Listed it for 3700$. Selling it for 3400$ tonight. Even with upgrades and new tires put on early this year, I. Ink I'm coming out pretty good. I think it's the right move for this point of my life
Old 11-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #117
fermic37

Cant complain about that.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #118
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

No more conundrum. 4 hours and she's gone. I'll miss that 50HP kick at 6500 RPMs . Definitely a huge fan of the hatchback/hot hatch. What will be my next one? If that Kia Stinger GT (not kidding, look it up, could be a great car) does well and gets great reviews, it'll be my next car purschase in about 5 years???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1357.jpg (92.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-28-2017, 06:03 PM   #119
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

You enjoyed a great cult car for 22K and made out great on the resale. I loved the bear claw marks on select bodywork.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #120
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Seriously, 1st thing I'm doing with a time machine is to go back and see what type of pet the PO had

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion