click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum

Old 06-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
Chef

Gen1- My favorite bike I've owned

Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Awesome, awesome bike. I'm the proud owner of a gen 2, but for some reason I still think of my '69 Honda CL350 as my favorite. Probably just memories.
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
longeze

I like the all black look - nice!
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Yes it's beautiful!
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
ctfz1
corner carver

Gen1 rocks.
Easy to change fit, modify, or improve. Good stock, fun to make better, ages gracefully.
Powerful enough, reasonably light, Good size gas tank, not bad to work on.
Great forum, too.

How does the naked compare to faired version?
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
klj7734
Banned

I hate my 1st Gen. Especially after all the mods I've done to it. Every time I get on it all it wants to do is go well over the speed limit, raise the front wheel with just the twist of the wrist, lean way over at high speeds in corners and make me smile from ear to ear. Hell I had to stop riding it because I can't afford to take her to the track and unleash the Beast! I hate it man I just hate it!
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
Chef

Thanks a lot. I've owned her for 5 years now, year by year she's been getting upgrades. Only left on my 'list' is fork upgrade and maybe headers. Previous owner had layed down and the front fairing and windscreen were absent so I can't comment on differences in full faired or not. Overall the most reliable, comfortable, and efficient bike I've had.
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
fermic37

The fork upgrade is a nice upgrade, it was one of the last things I did to mine before I sold it. I too thought my gen1 was my favorite bike.. until I started modding my gen2!
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:02 AM   #9
cccolin

I did a very similar thing to my first one. except with double headlights.

cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
longeze

The double headlights look great! Do you have some pix showing how you mounted them up? Did you use a kit like they sell on Amazon or could you describe how you did that? If I ever need to strip my bike of its plastics, I'd be pretty happy with a look similar to yours. Strikes me as a semi old-school look while staying contemporary akin to a newer Triumph.
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
cccolin

I don't know where the pics are anymore. If i get a minute, I'll make a quick CAD drawing and post it. I bought some Speed Triple headlights off ebay, and made my own adjustable (in the sense that you can aim the headlights) mounting bracket out of aluminum plate and steel tubing. It bolted to the stock fairing stay mounting points on the headstock. I made a bracket to hold the gauges as well, I believe I actually got the basic design for the gauge bracket from this site and modded it a bit.

Last edited by cccolin; 07-13-2017 at 03:35 PM.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #12
rdcusmc

I'll admit I've been tempted to move to another bike but nothing so far combines all of the attributes I value as much as the Gen 1. Of course, I've modded mine about as much as is possible which has only made it better. Outright performance is very good to excellent with Ivan's and a great slip on. Suspension upgrades made for better handling and comfort - just super! Fuel mileage and range are excellent, extending well over 200 miles on a tank even while hauling full panniers and a trunk. Luggage, heated grips and the beloved Gauge of Eternal Coolness paired with a Dirt Road seat make for icing on the cake. Even considering the cost of mods added in, I'm out for a fraction of what anything else I'd replace it with would cost. I've got a bike that goes fast and far in all conditions in relative comfort. It's reliable as an anvil and still looks smart to my eyes. Doubt I'll ever sell my Fizzy, even if I add to the stable. Super work by Mother Yamaha designing a building this awesome ride.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #13
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

My Gen 1 was my favorite bike ever until I got my Gen 2.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
t84a is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum