click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum

Old 03-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
PWRMAD
Registered F'n User

FZ1 complete, and Ivan's results

Finally have some pics of my complete 2013 FZ1.

Not too much done to it, but just some clean-up mods, and THE WHOLE IVAN'S PERFORMANCE ENCHILADA. This bike is a raging beast now. Sounds great (not quiet, not too loud) and runs perfect, super-clean from idle to redline. Suspension is now set up perfectly for me, and the accessory handlebar, Pazzo levers, and Driven gel grips make it feel perfect on the hands. With changes and kickstand hardware gone, it probably lost 30lbs from stock. And the power and torque increase is immense. Power wheelies in 2nd gear whenever you want, and that's still with stock gearing. Slice and dice traffic at will, and embarrass literbike newbies with ease. Did a mild track day and had a ball. Loving it! Power and comfort, in spades. The bike is now so neat and clean. Couldn't ask for more.

Last edited by PWRMAD; 03-27-2015 at 04:55 PM.
PWRMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
grommet
kinetic mentality

Very nice

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRMAD View Post

Couldn't ask for more.
Put some suspension on it, you dont know what your missing!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
still_bluenoser

Beautiful. Makes me want a Gen2
still_bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Fizzman
Retired

Maybe some tires.

Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD 400E, '79 400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R
Fizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
PWRMAD
Registered F'n User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
Put some suspension on it, you dont know what your missing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzman View Post
Maybe some tires.

True, nicer suspension and stickier tires would further improve things, but really, after the stock suspension was sorted for me, it is now great for the street and did just fine for a 7/10ths track day. It was good to discover that, for me, this suspension will do well for now, and that the stock tires aren't crap. In another season or two, I'll improve those and it will probably be like having a new bike.

Tires aren't a problem, but living in the Chicago area, really good mechanics that would actually know how to improve my suspension are difficult to find. Believe me, good jap bike mechanics here are VERY few here - I've had plenty of bad experiences. Lots that can take your money and say "you're good to go!", but I haven't found one that has been able to deliver yet when it comes to spending bigger $$$$.

(Safety First racing was great, but they left the area)
Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Pull it off and send it out! My bike looks identical to yours, except R1 front end and penske rear shock. The blue is obviously the fastest color. Good choice!
Old 03-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
Duken4evr
Map Maven

What a sweet looking bike. Sounds like it is super well sorted and running awesome.

Since you are obviously serious about your ride, a Penske (or other quality aftermarket shock) with ride height adjustment would be worth considering. A bit of extra ride height in the back makes the steering feel sharper and more accurate. The action of the aftermarket shock is better too of course.

Digging the black tail and the tank pads! Dirt is not allowed near that machine either

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
lowercasee
Some dude that rides an FZ1

Damn that looks good! That Yoshi exhaust really makes it look great. Gotta start saving my pennies...
lowercasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
PWRMAD
Registered F'n User

Thanks, everyone. I figure next season I'll start interviewing everyone from this forum who has done Gen 2 suspension upgrades to see what works best.

That will be fun. Damn expensive, but fun. I'll keep that last part from the wife, or else
Old 03-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #11
PWRMAD
Registered F'n User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercasee View Post
Damn that looks good! That Yoshi exhaust really makes it look great. Gotta start saving my pennies...
And along with the full Yosh system, I think removing the centerstand and all that hardware really cleans the look up, and losing the 7 lbs or so doesn't hurt, either - swingarm spools work fine at home.

You wouldn't believe how much lighter the full Yosh system is compared to the full stock exhaust setup. It's gotta be 25 lbs lighter. The carbon muffler weighs like nothing. And it's sooo damn purdy...
Old 03-29-2015, 01:05 AM   #12
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Ya, the stock muffler is heavy as hell. Doesn't matter what bike we are talking about, they always are

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Old 03-29-2015, 01:43 AM   #13
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Suspension, wheels and tires make a huge difference. After I went Ohlins the bike was completely transformed. Lighter wheels make it more fun in the twisties with easier flickability and change of direction.

Nice looking bike, Once you start modding this thing you'll find you can't stop. Trust me.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:42 AM   #14
REDFAZER03

I just hooked up my Ivan's ECU & I have to agree with you. Single best mod you can do.
I have virtually the same exhaust & no center stand.
Great looking cycle.
07 Raven. Ivanized Stage 4, Zero Gravity, Full Fairing, Michelin PP3, R1 shock, Sargent Seat, Arrow/Graves All Ti, NGK Iridium, Evotech hanger, PC5, Rizoma Rearsets, LED Integrated Tailight, Valter Moto LED signals, Copperdawg Radiator Guard, Ivan's Flash, Lars, AIS delete. Graves EXUP delete, S/W Mototech mirror extensions. CRG Levers. Motovation USA Sliders & Bar End Weights. Lowered w/ PSR lowering link & PSR adjustable side stand. Dyno tuned tweaked map. 146 HP. Super Premium Gas, 35 MPG
REDFAZER03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:21 AM   #15
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Stock tires are NOT that bad. I ran my first trackday on them in June in Alabama. No issues. Yes, I'm certain I also did ride hard enough to really matter, but I gave them a decent go.

Stock suspension would be a no go for me at my weight (250)

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 AM   #16
Woodys2718
Lets light this candle!

Very nice bike... and the best color.
Throttle Rocker
Throttle Meister
TechSpec
Proton Flush Mounts
Bi Xenon HIDs
Speedo Healer
Power Bronze Lower Cowl
Competition Werks Undertail
Motodynamic Integrated Tail Light
OES Frame Sliders
Bestem Carbon Fiber Heel Guards
GB Racing Case Guards
Pro Bolt Anodized Bolt Kit
Cox Racing Radiator Guard
Arrow Header
Two Bros Black Series Carbon Slip On
Two Bros Juice Box Pro
BMC Air Filter
AIS Plugged
Woodys2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #17
PWRMAD
Registered F'n User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
Suspension, wheels and tires make a huge difference. After I went Ohlins the bike was completely transformed. Lighter wheels make it more fun in the twisties with easier flickability and change of direction.

Nice looking bike, Once you start modding this thing you'll find you can't stop. Trust me.
OK, I'm interested. What sort of cost and what brand are we talking to make big improvements to this bike, without going nuts on price?
Old 04-06-2015, 06:31 AM   #18
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
OK, I'm interested. What sort of cost and what brand are we talking to make big improvements to this bike, without going nuts on price?
Call Lee Spitler at Traxxion Dynamics. He owns a Gen 2 FZ1 and can set up a penske shock for you with custom valving that is excellent and cost effective. He also knows our bike's forks well and can offer a few different price point mods, all the way up to their AK20 setup. Lee has also been a supporter of the board for many years and is a good guy in general.

http://www.traxxion.com/meet-our-staff/

Running a Penske shock this is expensive of course, but worth it. I am running 5 weight oil on the compression side and heavier 10 weight on the rebound side on the forks. This makes the high speed rebound a little slower and is a cost effective mod that gives a nice little improvement over stock for peanuts. More money will buy far better results for the forks of course. Fork oil weights vary - "5 weight" is not the same across manufacturers. For no particular reason other than I think it is good oil and was available, I used Maxima 5 weight on the compression side and their 10 weight on the rebound side, filled to a little lower than originally and to shop manual specs (stock forks are often overfilled) and they do work better. At least I think they do

The harsh stock shock was not even close. With the Penske in place with proper spring instead of the truck spring that came with the '06, the oil swapped stock forks actually feel better as they are not getting jacked from the rear by the stock shock all the time - good enough for my purposes.

This post from Lee about the construction of the stock forks is informative.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96840

Last edited by Duken4evr; 04-06-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #19
ZX-Dominance

Beautiful bike!... but these guys are right- get on that suspension!

The satan/08 R1 shock swap was night and day for me.

As were the Ohlins 1.0's.

Of course aftermarket shocks and valving/drop in kits would be EVEN better, but I'm only running fast-intermediate track pace on the street (till my T30s start meeeelting). I have a zx6 for trackdays : )
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * AK20s * Elka Elite* Yosh R77 * Flashed * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * PCV+Ign+Autotune * TechSpecs * Carbon all over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #20
mikros

Quote:
Finally have some pics of my complete 2013 FZ1.
Sweet looking bike man. I love how clean it looks without the center stand, may have to pull mine off. I have a rear paddock stand but not a front. Not sure how a front stand holds the bike yet, need to do some google'ing. Recommendations welcome.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum