click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum

Old 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
AFM674
Getting into turn 4 at Sonoma

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Pushing the FZ a little on a technical road

Well...maybe a lot. This is the only road that challenges me. More trackdays next year for sure. I love beating $20,000.00 sportbikes...well quite a few of them anyway. Don't try this at home kids...Ha Ha.

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.
AFM674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
Desmo
Hello ladies...

The Loop!!!
Old 10-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Achy_Grappler

Nicely done. Don't have he stones yet to ride like that, but will be taking my skunk to Willow Spring for the California Superbike School on the 22nd. Maybe soon!
Old 10-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
roggiedog

You're getting down there real low on the turns. Cool to hear a good rider not having to have the rpms at redline.
roggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Nice smooth riding! Going quickly, but obviously comfortable and well in control. Interesting to see the rear end working over the bumps.

As for RPM, my thought on that is only "take what you need". The bike handles easier at lower rpm, a fast spinning crank generates more gyro effect and resists direction changes. Learned that real fast on a 500cc 2 stoke dirt bike. High rpm for high speeds and stability, lower rpm for tight bits and maneuverability

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
AFM674

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achy_Grappler View Post
Nicely done. Don't have he stones yet to ride like that, but will be taking my skunk to Willow Spring for the California Superbike School on the 22nd. Maybe soon!
Thanks...it's a great road.

Love Willow...Big Track...not the streets of Willows. Well I've never been on any other track in Willow Springs other than the old high speed track. It's not a difficult track to learn. Maybe once you've done a trackday and like it...you'll want to try some tracks up in Northern California. Sonoma and Laguna are pretty nice. Have you done the R6 shock mod yet. I put one of Dean's kits on my bike, it was like night & day. R6 shock $50.00-$75.00 + some cheap shorter dog bones. The Raven Rider fork mod is dirt cheap and will make a huge improvement. I went with all race tech internals. Good set of 190/55/17-120/70/17 Dunlop Q3's. With some of these mods your bike will ride really nice at the track. If it's just bone stock with some good rubber...you'll be fine. Make sure the suspension is set-up properly if you haven't already done it. The trackday organizer will usually have a suspension guy on hand. Pay him $25.00-$50.00 and he'll take care of you. Have a good ride and report back how the experience was for you.

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.

Last edited by AFM674; 10-11-2016 at 08:21 AM. Reason: updating my reply
Old 10-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #7
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM674 View Post
Love Willow...Big Track...not the streets.
Rode big Willow a few times on my TL1000, used Jesus as my braking marker in Turn 8

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
vitesse

So many do not know what our bikes are about, several times I've come up on a muscle car throttling up before he' becomes a wavering dot in my rear view. Good job, stay safe.
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Rode big Willow a few times on my TL1000, used Jesus as my braking marker in Turn 8
When I rode there years ago...I was looking for 7th gear heading into turn 8...I was red lined in 6th and thought I had another gear. This was in 1986...we just threw it in there flat out (140-145)...maybe rolled out just slightly going in and rolled in back on. Definitely no brakes. I was doing 1:32 lap times on a bone stock 750 that compared to a modern 750 sportbike was heavier, 45hp less power...inferior chassis,brakes,tires etc. I was hauling ass on that bike in the good old days of AFM club racing. Knock 6-8 seconds off on a modern day 750. Who's coming out and riding Laguna Seca next year? I'll provide a free room to stay in for a few days if anyone is interested. You have to try Laguna at least once in your life time...right? I might get a little R3 set up for trackdays and have fun trying to stay ahead of the big bikes or a 600 if I don't want to get smoked badly down the straights. Sorry for my reminiscing of my glory days and doing some bench racing. I'm turning 55 in a few months and plan on riding for many more years...I'll slow it down on the street at some point and ride at a good pace on the track mainly. Someday...someone is going to take my keys away...because I won't want to give it up if I can still throw a leg over the seat.

Thanks for watching my video...I'm keeping it safely in my lane at all critical moments and passing lots of bicyclist and cars with courtesy and a friendly wave. We don't want the community any more upset than some already are regarding motorcycles. Later and

09' FZ1
Old 10-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #10
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
So many do not know what our bikes are about, several times I've come up on a muscle car throttling up before he' becomes a wavering dot in my rear view. Good job, stay safe.
I always ride with my head and keep the concentration level very high. I've had a few little moments over the years, but considering how I ride ...having (8-10) non wrecking moments over 30 years of street riding isn't too bad I'd say. I'd love to be able to say I haven't had any, but this would mean I haven't been really riding the motorcycles. I will say I always learned from each one and made it a point to not repeat of course. It's when you're cruising in traffic when more things can happen. I don't do much freeway slabbing or long distance commuting...when I occasionally do I'm still just as focused, but it's a little different type of focus of course than when I'm riding some of my favorite back roads or trackdays. I've done two trackdays since my last race in 1987. Racing was the best...for the two years I did it.

The FZ1 is definitely a good overall bike. My wife loves riding with me on this bike. The tricked out RC51 I had only made it one block before she insisted on getting off it. True sportbikes just can't do it all...unless you do some serious mods to the tail section, passenger pegs and clipons. Plus...I love the street fighter look of the FZ1. I've had them all...and this is on of my all time favorite motorcycles. I've had both the Gen1 and Gen2...both are awesome. I'm rambling on...got laid off and have time on my hands sadly.

Thanks for watching the video and replying. This is one of the best motorcycle forums I've come across...of course we all know this.

09' FZ1
Old 10-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggiedog View Post
You're getting down there real low on the turns. Cool to hear a good rider not having to have the rpms at redline.
These bikes don't need to be riding like that to get down this road in the video. Things happen very quickly on are on you just like that...if you notice I'm not WFO very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Nice smooth riding! Going quickly, but obviously comfortable and well in control. Interesting to see the rear end working over the bumps.

As for RPM, my thought on that is only "take what you need". The bike handles easier at lower rpm, a fast spinning crank generates more gyro effect and resists direction changes. Learned that real fast on a 500cc 2 stoke dirt bike. High rpm for high speeds and stability, lower rpm for tight bits and maneuverability
Mostly just a bunch of short blips from 5k to 8k. 5-6k is right in the meat of the torque curve on my set up. When ever you don't hear the throttle on...I'm probably braking for dear life to make the next corner. Ha Ha. It was a good ride...come on out and try it someday when you're possibly vacationing on the West Coast. Later

09' FZ1
Old 10-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #12
klj7734
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achy_Grappler View Post
Jealous! Keith Code is the man!
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #13
Heathen
NNV

I've only ridden Mines Road once. Not like that, but still had a lot of fun. Nicely done!
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #14
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj7734 View Post
Jealous! Keith Code is the man!
I did the Keith Code Superbike School when it was first getting started. It was 1980 at Laguna Seca. I actually caught up to Keith with a pack of students coming out of turn 10...I passed all of them on the brakes for the hairpin turn 11. Flicked it in and I was down in the blink of an eye. Looking back I know what happened...those skinny Michelin M45's had a very unusual profile with a small contact patch. I had all the weight on the front and no load or subtle throttle to load the rear. I was used to riding those popcorn machine RD400 2 strokes. I wasn't used to four strokes at all or the amount of leverage those wide bars had. I wish I could do it all over...things might have been different if I hadn't crashed. It would have been cool to end the day with Keith actually wanting to help me with my riding technique. Would of could of should of. Gopro would've been cool back then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
The Loop!!!
You know it well Desmo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
I've only ridden Mines Road once. Not like that, but still had a lot of fun. Nicely done!
Thanks...you should ride it more often.

09' FZ1
Old 10-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #15
Achy_Grappler

Quote:
Thanks...it's a great road.

Love Willow...Big Track...not the streets of Willows. Well I've never been on any other track in Willow Springs other than the old high speed track. It's not a difficult track to learn. Maybe once you've done a trackday and like it...you'll want to try some tracks up in Northern California. Sonoma and Laguna are pretty nice. Have you done the R6 shock mod yet. I put one of Dean's kits on my bike, it was like night & day. R6 shock $50.00-$75.00 + some cheap shorter dog bones. The Raven Rider fork mod is dirt cheap and will make a huge improvement. I went with all race tech internals. Good set of 190/55/17-120/70/17 Dunlop Q3's. With some of these mods your bike will ride really nice at the track. If it's just bone stock with some good rubber...you'll be fine. Make sure the suspension is set-up properly if you haven't already done it. The trackday organizer will usually have a suspension guy on hand. Pay him $25.00-$50.00 and he'll take care of you. Have a good ride and report back how the experience was for you.
So far I'm just riding stock suspension. I set it to owner's manual recommended specs just to have a baseline. I've only had the bike for a month now, but have put on 1100 miles getting to know her. Once I get to know the bike and improve my skills in the corners I'll look to improving the set up. I bought the bike with brand new Q3's in the sizes you mentioned. No complaints so far.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #16
Heathen
NNV

Quote:
Thanks...you should ride it more often.
Agreed, I need to venture that direction more often. Lot's of roads that need my attention.
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:44 AM   #17
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

Maybe you could put the camera in front of your boot next time.

Just a suggestion.

- Some Loser
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:56 AM   #18
barryc

But what a nice looking boot!!!
Old 10-12-2016, 07:21 AM   #19
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Mines is fun and one of my local favorites. However you got to be careful while climbing up the mountain from Livermore as it has gravel, 0 shoulder and cliffs. Later on it just plain rocks and I do push it on that road especially the newly laid pavement as seen in the video.
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #20
DaveAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc View Post
But what a nice looking boot!!!

it really is
DaveAA is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum