click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum

Old 11-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
AFM674
Getting into turn 4 at Sonoma

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Don't take your tires this far kids :)

Little video posted of my poor tortured rear tires last moments of life

This is a Dunlop GPA Pro 190/60/17 medium compound. It was used pretty good by one of the fastest R6 riders at Thunder Hill. He was done with them for his purposes. I then took them for a full trackday at a rippin pace...then I tortured them on the notorious Mines Rd...brutal on tires (you get about half the mileage on this road) and your gas mileage. I've only used Dunlops since 2009 when I put the Q2's on my VFR800...got about 5k out of the rear. I've been mostly using used Dunlop race take offs. One set I had on my old Gen1 lasted 4k on the rear, but this was on smooth Oregon roads. keep in mind the last few weeks of those particular tires life...I was using the throttle accordingly with the available traction left in the tire...which isn't that bad if the temperature is good on the road. The tire in this picture was being pushed very hard on Mines Rd and I was doing the mile markers between 42-57 seconds (fast on this particular road) at average speeds of 60-85mph. Don't try this at home kids. I've been using my Dunlop take offs on roads like this since 2011. I threw in a few pics of what they look like after I buy them used.

I have all the confidence in the world with the Dunlop brand. I will say this is the first time I've seen the cords like this. It only takes a few miles to do this once the rubber is this far gone. If you look you'll see I've also used most of the edge too. The center had at least other run or two up the mountain...but the left side acceleration section couldn't take anymore WFO throttle. I wouldn't say anything bad about Dunlops...It's usually the set-up or the rider. You can't blame the tires. See pics below of before and after. The tire won't even ball up anymore...not enough tread do to actually ball up...I got my $75.00 worth that's for sure.

Later fellow Fizzers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1105161412 (700x525).jpg (262.3 KB, 401 views)

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.

Last edited by AFM674; 11-10-2016 at 12:35 PM.
AFM674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

That about covers it.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

I've not gone that extreme, but I have gone to the cords in several large spots. I was planning on using the tire up in the mountains and on the way back I corded the rear pretty bad. I cruised home at about 60 on the highway and just babied it back.

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Got your money's worth out of that one!

Tires are much like a chain in this regard. A chain will go and go for a long time, and then when wear really sets in, it goes away fast. Tires are even moreso - once that rubber is thin, the cords come calling pretty quickly

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

A few miles indeed. This Pirelli went from looking ok to nothing perty quick... waiting for the tow

Old 11-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
AFM674

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
A few miles indeed. This Pirelli went from looking ok to nothing perty quick... waiting for the tow

It went flat? That's what I like about Dunlop...I trust they won't deflate on me when the tire gets to this point.

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

On the ride I just did down to the Gap etc one of the bikes had some serious tire wear down to the cords at the end of the trip. He ended up having to get a new one put on while he was down there. Started off with plenty of meat on it...those roads tear up the tires if you ride aggressively.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
gotfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM674 View Post
It went flat? That's what I like about Dunlop...I trust they won't deflate on me when the tire gets to this point.
Yep, went flat. Not my normal tires but the Versys was down for service so threw a set of Cycle Gear Pirelli specials on the Duke a few days before leaving on a trip. That tire had perhaps 2600 miles and certainly didn't give me much warning. When I felt it losing pressure I was sure I'd be getting out my tire plugger. Not so fast
Old 11-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
Duken4evr
Map Maven

It looked like that after 2,600 miles on a Versys? Wow.

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Old 11-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
gotfz1

No, Super Duke:

Quote:
so threw a set of Cycle Gear Pirelli specials on the Duke
Old 11-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Ah. Well, that explains it then

Old 11-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
Woodys2718
Lets light this candle!

Now that's trusting your tire.
Throttle Rocker
Throttle Meister
TechSpec
Proton Flush Mounts
Bi Xenon HIDs
Speedo Healer
Power Bronze Lower Cowl
Competition Werks Undertail
Motodynamic Integrated Tail Light
OES Frame Sliders
Bestem Carbon Fiber Heel Guards
GB Racing Case Guards
Pro Bolt Anodized Bolt Kit
Cox Racing Radiator Guard
Arrow Header
Two Bros Black Series Carbon Slip On
Two Bros Juice Box Pro
BMC Air Filter
AIS Plugged
Woodys2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #13
ZX-Dominance

I ride Dunlop NTECs on the track and those f*ckers will stick until every tread has vanished.

I run em backwards and forwards, until there aint nothing left. Gooooood rubber
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * AK20s * Elka Elite* Yosh R77 * Flashed * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * PCV+Ign+Autotune * TechSpecs * Carbon all over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #14
AFM674

Quote:
Yep, went flat. Not my normal tires but the Versys was down for service so threw a set of Cycle Gear Pirelli specials on the Duke a few days before leaving on a trip. That tire had perhaps 2600 miles and certainly didn't give me much warning. When I felt it losing pressure I was sure I'd be getting out my tire plugger. Not so fast
Tire plug... That could have been ugly. Mine also was on the sketchy side. The guy that took it off is a medium paced racer/trackday rider. He told me a little story about Doug Polen riding on Dunlops until the cords show. Doug swore by his Dunlops and I do too. Good old mister winter is arriving. Today it was above average...71 degrees and sunny in Monterey Ca. That's trackday material or a good coastal trip. I'm pretty lucky that I can ride any day it's not raining, but I usually don't venture out if it's under 60 degrees...I know...I'm a pu _ _ y. Can't wait until next spring so I can shred tires to the cords.

09' FZ1
Old 11-18-2016, 06:28 PM   #15
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
I ride Dunlop NTECs on the track and those f*ckers will stick until every tread has vanished.

I run em backwards and forwards, until there aint nothing left. Gooooood rubber
You know it... now that's what I'm talking about. I got 4k out of a set of used 2012 Dunlop GP-A's...love them. Cheap too! I like the GP-A Pro's now.

09' FZ1

Last edited by AFM674; 11-19-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #16
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Love Dunlops too. But I am going to try a new set of BT016Pros just because I got them for $140.
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #17
glory racing

Wear bars are just the first indication that tires are approaching end of life. When sparks start to fly is the notification that it is time to change tires! :-)
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #18
rswebscan
Nada Como El Sol

Bunch of hooligans! I would NEVER let my tires get down to the belts!
Old 02-03-2017, 10:34 PM   #19
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswebscan View Post
Bunch of hooligans! I would NEVER let my tires get down to the belts!
Well...I have a lot of experience with this particular tire and I know a lot of guys like myself that have the experience to take tires to the limits of the tires life. I usually pull them of about 20-30 miles earlier, but this road just eats tires and It caught me out...no biggie. Dunlops are tough. Thanks for the comment, but I'd worry about yourself. No one else was riding with me and I was in full control as always.

09' FZ1
Old 02-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #20
rswebscan
Nada Como El Sol

Oh, I often worry about myself - often when people don't get my humor....

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum