click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum

Old 09-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
fermic37

Aviation job outlook.

For any of those with kids in high school who are mechanically inclined. Now would be the time to set them oncourse to start looking at aviation schools.

Or adults looking for a career change. There was a 45 year old in my graduating class.

I know over the last five years the number of aviation students at my old college has been declining, and there will be another shortage here shortly. So none of that “I have a college degree and I can’t find a job” talk

https://generalaviationnews.com/2018...anic-shortage/

Last edited by fermic37; 09-21-2018 at 07:48 AM.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

How much was mech school? I’m working oilfield for the money. I would love another high paying job but one that isn’t as remote and with a regular schedule
Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

The primary reason I didn't pursue working in aviation was the salary level compared to other career paths. Maybe that has or will change but the comments below the article aren't encouraging.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
fermic37

general aviation doesn't pay crap, mainly because its full of 70s era planes owned by money pinching old guys. I did that for two years.

Going into the jet or helicopter field is where you make the good money.

And 12 years ago the same outlook was forecasted, and it was correct, I was able to get a good job right out of college due to the shortage.. ( after working in general aviation during my last two years of school)
Old 09-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
fermic37

Latest requirements.

https://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/experience/
Old 09-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

After my freshman year of being an aviation major and realizing I didn’t have the money for flight school, I should’ve done this instead of going to 4 year for my CJ degree. I actually used to be a decent welder in high school shop. Coulda wooda’s *sigh*
Old 09-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

I worked with a guy in his 40's who worked as a licenced A+P mechanic at PHL and Pittsburgh. He spent too many hours traveling and not enough working, he had too little seniority after nearly 15 years. That's why he was working part time as auto mechanic.
Last I heard he was working for a computer services company in Virginia, sharing a long term hotel there while living in Philly suburbs. He spends less time commuting and more time working, makes more than enough extra money to pay for gas vs. free air travel commuting.
Your mileage may vary.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
After my freshman year of being an aviation major and realizing I didn’t have the money for flight school, I should’ve done this instead of going to 4 year for my CJ degree. I actually used to be a decent welder in high school shop. Coulda wooda’s *sigh*
There is very little welding done by aircraft mechanics.
I would imagine it would be illegal to use a welded up part on an aircraft, unless it was done by a certified welder and passed some type of inspection process.

Most common welding jobs around here. Truck Body installer, trash dumster repair, Body Shops, Sign Fabricator, industrial machine shop, chain muffler shop.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
jredford
Musical Metal

Don’t forget pipe welders. The good one make a lot of money.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #10
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

They are doing the Mariner I and II pipelines around here.
They are not local guys doing the welding.
When the Alaskan pipeline was done, most of the Welders were from a Kansas Union.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #11
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
There is very little welding done by aircraft mechanics.
I would imagine it would be illegal to use a welded up part on an aircraft, unless it was done by a certified welder and passed some type of inspection process.

Most common welding jobs around here. Truck Body installer, trash dumster repair, Body Shops, Sign Fabricator, industrial machine shop, chain muffler shop.
Oh i just meant I enjoyed shop class and could’ve been down for the wrenching
Old 09-26-2018, 03:42 AM   #12
fermic37

Quote:
I worked with a guy in his 40's who worked as a licenced A+P mechanic at PHL and Pittsburgh. He spent too many hours traveling and not enough working, he had too little seniority after nearly 15 years. That's why he was working part time as auto mechanic.
Last I heard he was working for a computer services company in Virginia, sharing a long term hotel there while living in Philly suburbs. He spends less time commuting and more time working, makes more than enough extra money to pay for gas vs. free air travel commuting.
Your mileage may vary.
Yeah that's why you don't work for a major airline union shop, my father did that for a little while in Charlotte when I was a kid. If I was given the option to work for a major airline or do something else with my life.. I would do something else.

And you do take welding courses when getting your license, but no, you cant legally make weld repairs unless you're certified.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #13
82packer
Shoe King

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
And you do take welding courses when getting your license, but no, you cant legally make weld repairs unless you're certified.
I just took another TIG classes at Ferris State and many of the videos we watched were from people in the airline industry. They are the cream of the crop for sure. Very strict inspections and every weld is art work.
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #14
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82packer View Post
I just took another TIG classes at Ferris State and many of the videos we watched were from people in the airline industry. They are the cream of the crop for sure. Very strict inspections and every weld is art work.
Over in Big Rapids? Had a fantastic burger at Schubergs a few weeks ago. I could dig living in Michigan if required.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #15
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
The tig welding of titanium parts such as fuel tanks on youtube videos is sheer artwork.

Do you have a tig welder?
I've heard really good things about that green unit, designed in US and manufactured to strict standards in China.
A reasonable alternative to the blue and red machines.
Something like $1200 vs $4500. Water cooled torch units seem to be plentiful on the used market too.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #16
82packer
Shoe King

Quote:
I've heard really good things about that green unit, designed in US and manufactured to strict standards in China.
A reasonable alternative to the blue and red machines.
Something like $1200 vs $4500. Water cooled torch units seem to be plentiful on the used market too.
Probably Everlast, professor really talked highly of them.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...iew-video.html
Old 09-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #17
fermic37

Quote:
Yeah I loved it so much I took another elective class outside of my major. Tig, mig, and oxy were the main ones.

Damn hard to get the hang of tig, but once you do its very satisfying.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #18
jredford
Musical Metal

I took a class on tig, it taught me that my skills with mig were going to have to do.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #19
82packer
Shoe King

My middle son went to Western Michigan for aviation. After his freshman year he never went back. Jobs were hard to get, must have been around 2006. My wife's step brother is going to be a pilot soon and he is in his mid 40's. Things really changed in a dozen years.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #20
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Quote:
My middle son went to Western Michigan for aviation. After his freshman year he never went back. Jobs were hard to get, must have been around 2006. My wife's step brother is going to be a pilot soon and he is in his mid 40's. Things really changed in a dozen years.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was at Western Mich for aeronautical engineering. But it was my penchant for partying that led me to seek other avenues in life.

But I do remember that what I did learn was pretty cool.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum