make a donation to the fz1oa
fz1oa chat
fz1oa picture uploader
maintain your own photo albums
locate fz1oa members
search the entire board
click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
fermic37
Registered User
 
fermic37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,225
Aviation job outlook.

For any of those with kids in high school who are mechanically inclined. Now would be the time to set them oncourse to start looking at aviation schools.

Or adults looking for a career change. There was a 45 year old in my graduating class.

I know over the last five years the number of aviation students at my old college has been declining, and there will be another shortage here shortly. So none of that “I have a college degree and I can’t find a job” talk


https://generalaviationnews.com/2018...anic-shortage/

Last edited by fermic37; 09-21-2018 at 07:48 AM.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer
 
YamahaMan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 5,207
How much was mech school? I’m working oilfield for the money. I would love another high paying job but one that isn’t as remote and with a regular schedule
__________________
.
YamahaMan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?
 
gotfz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 21,220
The primary reason I didn't pursue working in aviation was the salary level compared to other career paths. Maybe that has or will change but the comments below the article aren't encouraging.
__________________
SCRIMSHAW!
gotfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
fermic37
Registered User
 
fermic37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,225
general aviation doesn't pay crap, mainly because its full of 70s era planes owned by money pinching old guys. I did that for two years.

Going into the jet or helicopter field is where you make the good money.

And 12 years ago the same outlook was forecasted, and it was correct, I was able to get a good job right out of college due to the shortage.. ( after working in general aviation during my last two years of school)
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
fermic37
Registered User
 
fermic37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,225
Latest requirements.

https://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/experience/
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer
 
YamahaMan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 5,207
After my freshman year of being an aviation major and realizing I didn’t have the money for flight school, I should’ve done this instead of going to 4 year for my CJ degree. I actually used to be a decent welder in high school shop. Coulda wooda’s *sigh*
__________________
.
YamahaMan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend
 
LiquidSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Foleadelphia, Wentzylvania
Posts: 7,110
I worked with a guy in his 40's who worked as a licenced A+P mechanic at PHL and Pittsburgh. He spent too many hours traveling and not enough working, he had too little seniority after nearly 15 years. That's why he was working part time as auto mechanic.
Last I heard he was working for a computer services company in Virginia, sharing a long term hotel there while living in Philly suburbs. He spends less time commuting and more time working, makes more than enough extra money to pay for gas vs. free air travel commuting.
Your mileage may vary.
__________________
Don

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend
 
LiquidSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Foleadelphia, Wentzylvania
Posts: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
After my freshman year of being an aviation major and realizing I didn’t have the money for flight school, I should’ve done this instead of going to 4 year for my CJ degree. I actually used to be a decent welder in high school shop. Coulda wooda’s *sigh*
There is very little welding done by aircraft mechanics.
I would imagine it would be illegal to use a welded up part on an aircraft, unless it was done by a certified welder and passed some type of inspection process.

Most common welding jobs around here. Truck Body installer, trash dumster repair, Body Shops, Sign Fabricator, industrial machine shop, chain muffler shop.
__________________
Don

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
jredford
Musical Metal
 
jredford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 15,017
Don’t forget pipe welders. The good one make a lot of money.
__________________




2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #10
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend
 
LiquidSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Foleadelphia, Wentzylvania
Posts: 7,110
They are doing the Mariner I and II pipelines around here.
They are not local guys doing the welding.
When the Alaskan pipeline was done, most of the Welders were from a Kansas Union.
__________________
Don

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #11
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer
 
YamahaMan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 5,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
There is very little welding done by aircraft mechanics.
I would imagine it would be illegal to use a welded up part on an aircraft, unless it was done by a certified welder and passed some type of inspection process.

Most common welding jobs around here. Truck Body installer, trash dumster repair, Body Shops, Sign Fabricator, industrial machine shop, chain muffler shop.
Oh i just meant I enjoyed shop class and could’ve been down for the wrenching
__________________
.
YamahaMan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:42 AM   #12
fermic37
Registered User
 
fermic37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
I worked with a guy in his 40's who worked as a licenced A+P mechanic at PHL and Pittsburgh. He spent too many hours traveling and not enough working, he had too little seniority after nearly 15 years. That's why he was working part time as auto mechanic.
Last I heard he was working for a computer services company in Virginia, sharing a long term hotel there while living in Philly suburbs. He spends less time commuting and more time working, makes more than enough extra money to pay for gas vs. free air travel commuting.
Your mileage may vary.
Yeah that's why you don't work for a major airline union shop, my father did that for a little while in Charlotte when I was a kid. If I was given the option to work for a major airline or do something else with my life.. I would do something else.

And you do take welding courses when getting your license, but no, you cant legally make weld repairs unless you're certified.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #13
82packer
Shoe King
 
82packer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Base of the Pinkie
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
And you do take welding courses when getting your license, but no, you cant legally make weld repairs unless you're certified.
I just took another TIG classes at Ferris State and many of the videos we watched were from people in the airline industry. They are the cream of the crop for sure. Very strict inspections and every weld is art work.
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #14
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....
 
iluvmyfz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82packer View Post
I just took another TIG classes at Ferris State and many of the videos we watched were from people in the airline industry. They are the cream of the crop for sure. Very strict inspections and every weld is art work.
Over in Big Rapids? Had a fantastic burger at Schubergs a few weeks ago. I could dig living in Michigan if required.
__________________
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #15
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend
 
LiquidSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Foleadelphia, Wentzylvania
Posts: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82packer View Post
I just took another TIG classes at Ferris State and many of the videos we watched were from people in the airline industry. They are the cream of the crop for sure. Very strict inspections and every weld is art work.
The tig welding of titanium parts such as fuel tanks on youtube videos is sheer artwork.

Do you have a tig welder?
I've heard really good things about that green unit, designed in US and manufactured to strict standards in China.
A reasonable alternative to the blue and red machines.
Something like $1200 vs $4500. Water cooled torch units seem to be plentiful on the used market too.
__________________
Don

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #16
82packer
Shoe King
 
82packer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Base of the Pinkie
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
I've heard really good things about that green unit, designed in US and manufactured to strict standards in China.
A reasonable alternative to the blue and red machines.
Something like $1200 vs $4500. Water cooled torch units seem to be plentiful on the used market too.
Probably Everlast, professor really talked highly of them.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...iew-video.html
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #17
fermic37
Registered User
 
fermic37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82packer View Post
I just took another TIG classes at Ferris State and many of the videos we watched were from people in the airline industry. They are the cream of the crop for sure. Very strict inspections and every weld is art work.
Yeah I loved it so much I took another elective class outside of my major. Tig, mig, and oxy were the main ones.

Damn hard to get the hang of tig, but once you do its very satisfying.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #18
jredford
Musical Metal
 
jredford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 15,017
I took a class on tig, it taught me that my skills with mig were going to have to do.
__________________




2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #19
82packer
Shoe King
 
82packer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Base of the Pinkie
Posts: 3,123
My middle son went to Western Michigan for aviation. After his freshman year he never went back. Jobs were hard to get, must have been around 2006. My wife's step brother is going to be a pilot soon and he is in his mid 40's. Things really changed in a dozen years.
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #20
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!
 
hooligan998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82packer View Post
My middle son went to Western Michigan for aviation. After his freshman year he never went back. Jobs were hard to get, must have been around 2006. My wife's step brother is going to be a pilot soon and he is in his mid 40's. Things really changed in a dozen years.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was at Western Mich for aeronautical engineering. But it was my penchant for partying that led me to seek other avenues in life.

But I do remember that what I did learn was pretty cool.
__________________
"Hey Cancer, Téigh trasna ort féin!" - Saying on one of Jackie's pink t-shirts.
hooligan998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Questions? Comments?
Click on name below to contact via PM
Rabeet (Admin) Desmo (Admin)

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website and Message Board Contents Copyright 2001-2007 FZ1OA
The marks YAMAHA® and FZ1® are used under license from Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.
The information on this web site is NOT approved or endorsed by Yamaha Motor Corporation in any way.
Page generated in 0.11008 seconds with 9 queries