click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
isleoman

Can the Can....Man

https://www.unionleader.com/news/cri...ca10d1ab2.html

Still have my OEM exhaust and love it. Not a fan of loud exhausts. I'm even less a fan of Big Brother and Nanny State technologies.

" A French town on the outskirts of Paris Orly airport has begun tackling loud motorcycle exhausts, by installing a 'noise radar' capable of identifying the offending vehicle, pinpointing their location and automatically issuing a ticket.

Located in the centre of Villeneuve-le-Roi, as reported by Reuters, the system is set to go live once a law permitting the technology is passed, with the device linked to Police CCTV cameras in order to automatically issue fines.

Much like the UK, France already employ a noise vehicle limit, however it relies on the police’s ability to catch them in the act.

Created by Bruitparif, This new system instead uses four microphones to measure decibel levels every tenth of a second. This can then be used to track the original source of the noise, illustrated as a series of coloured dots behind the machine, known as 'acoustic wake.'

Away from the urban sprawl, noise is now also being tracked in the hills of Saint-Forget, outside Paris. A popular route with bikers, a further two devices are set to be installed in central Paris in September.

The Department for Transport has this morning announced that they will be trialling new 'noise cameras' designed to crack down on motorists breaching legal volume limits.

The cameras will be tested at several locations over the next seven months and, if successful, could be further developed across the UK.

Aimed at drivers and motorcyclists with illegal exhausts, as well as those that rev their vehicles excessively, a microphone will record the sound of a passing vehicle, before ANPR and video and image capturing cameras collect visual evidence against the offending machine.

Speaking about the new initiative, Transport Secretary, Chris Grayling said: "Noise pollution makes the lives of people in communities across Britain an absolute misery and has very serious health impacts.

"This is why I am determined to crack down on the nuisance drivers who blight our streets," He added. "New technology will help us lead the way in making our towns and cities quieter, and I look forward to seeing how these exciting new cameras could work."

Enforcing legal noise limits is currently done subjectively by patrolling police officers, however these new systems will be able to determine whether the law has been breached by taking into account the class and speed of vehicle, relative to the camera's location.

CEO of the Motorcycle Industry Association, Tony Campbell, also said: "With growing pressure on the environment, including noise pollution, illegal exhausts fitted by some riders attract unwanted attention to the motorcycle community and do nothing to promote the many benefits motorcycles can offer.

"All manufacturers produce new motorcycles that follow strict regulations regarding noise and emissions and we welcome these trials as a potential way of detecting excessive noise in our community."

The trial comes after studies revealed that continuous long-term exposure to noise can cause both physical and mental health implications, with stress and high blood pressure being just two of the conditions linked."
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

So we have that going for us!
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
killer5280

Gummint is love.

I put an Akrapovic can on my FZ1. It came with a dual stinger Devil slipon that was super loud and annoying. The Akrapovic is much, much quieter (can't be much louder than the stock pipe) and I do like it better. Runs better too.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Skiman
Renaissance Man

If that comes to the US, 95% of the Harleys on the road will be in trouble.
Skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
Duken4evr
Map Maven

No way 'Mericans will tolerate that sort of government nannyism. License plate flippers are a big deal in countries that do this sort of thing, I can see why.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

I am in favor of noise abatement. But I agree the government should stay out of it.

I would favor some sort of citizen based enforcement system. Sort of a "stand Your Ground" law for your ears. Maybe with a monetary reward for those who bag the worst offenders.

Where's Charlie Bronson when you need him?
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
No way 'Mericans will tolerate that sort of government nannyism. License plate flippers are a big deal in countries that do this sort of thing, I can see why.
My first thought as well
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:18 PM   #8
organ donor

If they could target the Harley crowd and the inline 4 crowd and leave everything else alone I’d be all for it. Strictly talking about bikes otherwise I’d include diesels and fart can ricers.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
killer5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
We are up to our eyeballs in government nannyism already.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
grommet
kinetic mentality

Politicians creating noise pollution laws?

Oh the irony.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #11
Lickety Split

Decibel limits are already Federal law. The left coast states enforce them. It won't be much longer before your locale does too.
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #12
WDD

I generally go with "do what you want to do, as long as it doesn't infringe on others".

Want to loose your hearing with 200 db pipes to compensate for something lacking in your life, go ahead. As long as I don't hear it.

But for those who blast your "hey, look at me. Really, look at me. Hey, I'll blip my throttle so you listen to me. Over here. Oh crap, it died. Hang on, let me restart....." You don't have the right to make others go deaf. Or be forcibly annoyed.

So.... I'm kind of in support on this one. I know, slippery slope, camel nose under the tent, etc.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #13
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety Split View Post
Decibel limits are already Federal law. The left coast states enforce them. It won't be much longer before your locale does too.
Unless my vigilantes get 'em first.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Quote:
The left coast states enforce them.

The only thing in the CVC that cops can really enforce is 27150. It’s basically “you need a functioning muffler” law. Harley’s with straight pipes can get nabbed for that. But they are still common.

There are also regs in CVC for a DB level at X number of feet behind the bike as measured by dB meter. I am not aware of any police agencies that carry such a device so there’s no way to enforce that.

And in the end, it’s a “fix it ticket”. $50, and then you get a cop to sign off and you’re done. No points. No nuthin. Then go home and put the straight pipes back on.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #15
Skiman
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
There are also regs in CVC for a DB level at X number of feet behind the bike as measured by dB meter. I am not aware of any police agencies that carry such a device so there’s no way to enforce that.

Denver passed a law similar to this, but found it impossible to enforce because there was too complicated to accurately implement it. The wind, other traffic, coming or going, calibration, what rpm, accelerating, steady speed, decelerating, which side the reading is being taken, orientation of the microphone, the range of frequencies, and so on. So many variables that even Renda could beat it in court.
Skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #16
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Just texted a buddy of mine who’s a cop out here for about ten years. Asked if he or others in his dept had ever cited anyone for excessive noise.

Quote:
I have not and don’t know of any guys that have. I’m pretty sure the vehicle code is specific about what decibels it has to be over to cite

I don’t even know if we have decibel meter.
Asked him whether straight pipes would violate the “need a muffler” code.

Quote:
I’m sure it would but the officer would have to be able to articulate how he/she knows they’re “straight pipes”
Old 09-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #17
Lickety Split

From a few news articles, I assumed Oregon and California were now enforcing a generalized "modified exhaust" law. Something about if it did not have an EPA stamp or something similar. Probably fake news that I am helping to perpetuate. Thanks for stopping me.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #18
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Yah there's no such law on the books in CA so....

I'm also not sure how a police agency would write up a person based on a federal law regarding something like the fed mandates DB levels.

As I understand it they can only cite someone for a state vehicle code violation.

Anywho. If you have a loud pipe out here I wouldn't sweat it.

Hell, we don't even have vehicle inspections.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #19
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Quote:
O man! Sorry for the late reply. I must have been knocked out much longer than I remembered! Whew! What a rush! Friends report that I fell out of my chair laughing and hit my head on a coprolite!
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #20
Lickety Split

Well, you stumped me there Stella. Thanks for teaching me a new word too.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion