register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Purchasing, Insurance, & Warranty

Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #41
1BAD02RT

Hello All,

I am working on quotes for a new 2008 FZ1 and came up with the following.

Background info: I am 24 years old, have been riding for 10 years, no tickets, and will be financing the bike through Yamaha credit, so will have the option to get pl/pd. Otherwise I couldn't afford it!

So far I've gotten 3 quotes:

Full coverage quote are for 20/40/10 bodily injury/damage, 20/40 uninsured motorist, and 25 medical benefits, $500 comp./coll. deductibles.

Full Coverage:

Progressive: $3,163
Esurance: $2,165
Dairlyland: $2642

PL/PD:

Progressive: $675
Esurance: $650
Dairlyland: $485

I keep thinking in the back of my mind:
PL/PD is a savings of $140+/mo., which is a risk that is worth taking. Also, it will be in the back of my mind everytime I want to speed or wheelie! Hell in one year of choosing PLPD over full coverage, I would have $1680 in the bank for repairs!

Let me know your thoughts/ideas. Thanks.
1BAD02RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #42
vsiddhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD02RT
Hello All,

I was in a real similar boat as you last October. I was amazed at these $2K-$3K quotes for full coverage on my new FZ1. I live in NJ now, but when I was in TN, I had full coverage on my Vulcan 750 for $300/yr. New Jersey is just expensive. What state are you in? Anyways, I tried calling State Farm and All State on a whim, and it turns out I could get full coverage from State Farm for ~$1000. Really weird because State Farm was always more expensive when it came to car insurance. So I went with State Farm and got full coverage. You should check with them. If you still can't get a manageable quote for full coverage, then you should think about not getting it. You can fix a lot of broken stuff on a crashed bike for the $1500 saved. If you have a garage, and live in a low-risk-of-theft area, then I would recommend you go without the full coverage. If there's a chance it could get stolen though...you should probably get it.
vsiddhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #43
mtn.fz
It's all about the ride

Try Foremost Insurance.I pay around 485.00 yr. for full coverage.I'm in Colo. so I don't know if ins. is that much cheaper here or not.Bought this policy day one with 3/10's of a mile on bike in July of 06.All mods and gear covered up to 3000.00 and brand new replacement on totaled bike for 1st 2yrs.They are a subsidary of USSA I believe.
"06" Silver FZ1, Dan Dan GP Slip-on, PC3, Lars' air box mod, BMC, FCE, Ivan Throttle Plates, 16T, Watsen Design Signals, Comp Werkes Trick Fender Eliminator, Graves AIS plates, Graves Exup servo eliminator, Uncaged Sliders, Pazzo levers, Spiegler brake lines,, Brake vents, Shogun swingarm spools, CRG lanesplitter barend mirrors, JDA mirror plates, TechSpec pads, mtn.fz custom windscreen, NoMar exhaust hanger, R1 forks, R1 shock w/ Satan adapter
mtn.fz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #44
Mr.Rob

My fiance' has 2 cruisers insured with Progressive. Full coverage comp and collision with a thousand deductible and thousand coverage for accessories.
2000 Honda Sabre 1100 and an 05 Honda Shadow 750. Cost for both bikes combined for the year is $212.00.

I got a quote last year from them for my 98 CBR900RR and it was over a thousand a year for same coverage. I went with Geico for about 650.00 a year.

Sold my CBR and bought my 03 FZ1 last week. Set up the insurance with Geico for 579.00 a year. We had to go online yesterday to get extra verification forms for the shadow to get new tags for it, and I remembered seeing this thread so just for the heck of it, got a quote from Progressive for the FZ1. I was shocked as it came back $275.00 a year, less than half of Geico's rate.

I am 39 and get a married, multi vehichle discount with both companies. Go figure...

2003 Yamaha FZ1 - The Much Faster Blue One - Two Brothers M5 Slip-on, Factory-Pro Jet Kit, Russell Stainless Steel Front Lines, K&N Air Filter, Color Matched Lower Cowling, Fender Hugger and Chainguard. Flushmounted Signals - Front and Rear, Rear Signal Eliminator, Pilot Powers, Adjustable rear suspension links to adjust ride height to plus 1" in rear. Vista Throttle Lock.
Mr.Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #45
fz1crash

Thought my renewal was a little high at $400 a year so i decided to check with geico. Received a quote for $1398 for full coverage. So I went back to my agent, and he got me an even better price of $335 for full coverage(lib, comp, collision). $250 deductable. I'm 30, been riding 4 years, totalled my 1st fz1 less than 2 years ago. I was happy as a pig in sh...
fz1crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #46
mattg
Not lost, just unfound.

I have the benefit of being an independant insurance agent with access to 5 companies that will write bikes. I also have the benefit of living in Wisconsin, the home of some of the least expensive insurance in the country. I'm paying $334 per year with 100/300/50 liability and comp and collision with $100 deductibles plus rental coverage and roadside assist. I'll be the first to say it doesn't hurt to shop around. I tend to have the best luck with Dairyland and Progressive, but that doesn't mean that a better price can't be found. I admit that I am biased, but the best move to make is to go to an independant agent as they have several companies to choose from and can very often find you excellent coverage at an excellent price. Also it can pay to shop around every 2 years or so. Rates change quite often, and the company that didn't do it for you this time, can very easily come in first later. Furthermore some companies have a specific "appetite", meaning that they only want to write Goldwings and cruisers, and would prefer to stay away from sport bikes. It's easy for me to tell because I have seen many times the rates that are quoted for certain bikes. If somebody comes to me with a sport bike, I already know which companies to not bother quoting. Works great for me being an agent, but it does make it harder for the consumer as they don't know what the appetite is for a specific company. All the more reason to shop around. On a final note. If you buy a new bike, be sure that the company offers GAP or replacement cost coverage. This is usually for the first 2 years of owning a brand new machine. It costs a little more (not much at all really) but it takes depreciation out of the equation. Nothing is worse than cracking up a new machine and getting a check for 2/3 its value. And to comment about a question earlier, I don't know of a single company that will provide coverage in a track enviroment. Track days are at your own risk.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #47
buckeye96
Love me a 8 min walk to work

Nationwide gave me a great quote and it was a lot lower than Dairyland (who I currently have). In addition you get a 10% discount for being an AMA member. My yearly for Diaryland was $450 for full coverage, Nationwide was $375.
buckeye96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:27 AM   #48
takimanpgt
Resident Alien

The numbers in this thread are scary as hell. I'm paying about $180 per year with 150/300/100 and a $100 deductible for full comprehensive/collision on an '02.
takimanpgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #49
superrat

This is for a 2005 FZ1 in Calif. I'm 46
Here are some different companies:
For third party liability, collision, uninsured motorist, fire/theft/vandalism, and roadside assistance on a yearly premium:
Markel $878
Farmers $770 (Foremost)
Geico $664
Sentry $549 (Viking or Dairyland - same thing)

I didn't try Nationwide yet.
superrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #50
Dudgeon
a fit or state of indignation

Might be Progressive for me

So, I didn't have to have ins. in WA state, but I guess I do in Missouri. I have Auto ins. with GEICO, so I tried them first.

1st quote was $3,080 with:
  • 50k/100k UM/UI
  • 500 Ded - Col/Comp
  • Tow
2nd quote was 1687 with
  • 25/50 UM only
  • 1000 Ded - Comp only
  • Nothing else
3rd quote was $421(finally), but only with:
  • 25/50 UM only
  • That's it. Just to get a proof of ins. slip so I can ride it legally!
I was willing to for-go any real coverage, in an effort to at least be able to ride my bike this year, legally, but I listened to reason (from my wife), and decided to search around.

Now, I'm looking at Progressive online, and I'm looking to get much better coverage for only $250/yr.???
  • 25/50/10 BI
  • 25/50 UM only
  • 250 Ded. Comp (this is really what I wanted out of ins. since I'm in the city, with no garage)
I'm leary of ordering it online, then having it jacked up on me or something. I may call them and do it over the phone instead, to make sure I didn't miss something on the web application. I think it will be Progressive, though. That's a hard-to-beat deal, especially since I was willing to go with little-to-no coverage. I wasn't about to pay $250/mo. That bike would stay parked if that's all I could get.

Dudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #51
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Festino

My coverage is with Progressive (recommended by USAA who does NOT cover motorcycles).

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $70.00
BI $100,010 EACH PERSON - $300,010 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $50,010 EACH ACCIDENT
UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY $124.00
$50,010 EACH PERSON - $100,010 EACH ACCIDENT
UM/UIM PROPERTY DAMAGE $14.00
$25,010 LESS $250 DEDUCTIBLE
COMPREHENSIVE $499 DEDUCTIBLE $22.00
COLLISION $999 DEDUCTIBLE $117.00
ACCESSORY COVERAGE $1,000 INCL
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE $10.00
PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION - REJECTED

Premium by Vehicle $357.00
Theft Prevention Authority Fee $1.00
Total Policy Premium $358.00

My question is - should a claim be made for a non-ticketed no-fault wreck - how will my rates be affected?

Anyone have history with this?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:53 AM   #52
mattg
Not lost, just unfound.

To answer that, a lot depends on the nature of no fault in your state. Is it straight no fault for everything, or does it apply to only bodily injury? I am not familiar with the laws in Texas, but in general, if the accident was ruled to not be your fault, that will reflect much better on your premium than an at fault accident. There should still be a fault determination more for the benefit of the insurance industry than anything else. The other big question is how much is the damage? If the damage is only a couple hundred over your deductible, bite the bullet and just pay it. Insurance is primarily designed to protect you in the worst possible case scenario, and believe it or not, a bunch of little claims can have a greater effect than one big one. If you have any more questions, go ahead and p.m. me and I will try my best to help you out. Keep in mind though that I am a licensed agent in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and the laws can vary greatly from one state to the next.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #53
arshishb

Hi guys, I just got my new to be 2002 FZ1 & after lots of quoting around, I settled with American Modern Insurance, full coverage with 500 collision & 250 comp for $409 per year !!!

You cannot get a quote through them directly, you will need to contact http://www.hughesrecreational.com or call 1 888 321 1210

To put in perspective I was quoted $650 with State farm, $2000 !!! with Geico, $900 with Progressive.

BTW I found this company by a flier I received in the mail & I was just about to throw it but I just tried it for the heck of it. Worked out well
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #54
TransporterFZ1

Love It!

Called Dairyland after seeing them listed on here. Just moved back to San Diego, and need to get new insurance. They quoted me almost 50% cheaper than Progressive.
TransporterFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #55
xracer390

MN rider, Full coverage through Progressive on my 02 with a $500 deductable is $229
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmallind
Damn I never realized I was getting such a good deal!

Possibly because I live in MN where only the truly brave or the truly stupid ride for more than 8 months a year tops but Mendota provides full coverage for me for $204 - just renewed this week.

I'm 37, married, with a couple of minor tickets in last five years and 20+ years riding. Have taken MSF and ERC courses although I think I'm out of date by now on the ERC.

Thing is I've been insuring bikes all but one of the 15 years I've lived here, so covering a period when I was much younger and even when I was single, and have never paid more than $300 or so.

I wonder how much locality has to do with this. Any other MN riders paying a lot more?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #56
mattg
Not lost, just unfound.

I just thought that I would pass on that Mendota is no longer covering motorcycles. If you have a policy with them it will be not be renewed. Start shopping and don't let your coverage lapse.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #57
sjo
The Redcoats Return

Not being picky, but how can you have ridden for 10 years? You can't have as far as any insurance company is concerned...

I just insured for 435 Comprehemsive with Progressive, 39yo, ) years inthe US but 20 in the UK (which counted for, you guessed it, zero).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD02RT
Hello All,

Background info: I am 24 years old, have been riding for 10 years, no tickets, and will be financing the bike through Yamaha credit, so will have the option to get pl/pd. Otherwise I couldn't afford it!

So far I've gotten 3 quotes:

Full coverage quote are for 20/40/10 bodily injury/damage, 20/40 uninsured motorist, and 25 medical benefits, $500 comp./coll. deductibles.

Full Coverage:

Progressive: $3,163
Esurance: $2,165
Dairlyland: $2642

PL/PD:

Progressive: $675
Esurance: $650
Dairlyland: $485

I keep thinking in the back of my mind:
PL/PD is a savings of $140+/mo., which is a risk that is worth taking. Also, it will be in the back of my mind everytime I want to speed or wheelie! Hell in one year of choosing PLPD over full coverage, I would have $1680 in the bank for repairs!

sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #58
drnknmnky13

Some of you are seriously lacking in your coverage.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the quotes insurance companies give. I mean I have Geico for my R6 and my 748 because they are waaaay cheaper. But yet for the FZ1 and Nighthawk Liberty Mutual was cheaper than Geico.

Makes no sense.
drnknmnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #59
mik6055

I am a licensed Property and casualty insurance broker(not practicing) in California. In March of '08 bought a new FZ. It was after hours when I left the dealer so I called GEICO. They quoted $2,870.00/year for Comp/Collision with minimum liability(15/30k)and $1000.00 deductible. I am 51, 32 years riding experience ,and no claims on my record. I was shocked, but needed coverage before taking the bike home so I gave him my credit card number. The next morning I called my old broker who had insured my previous bike and she quoted Dairyland at $785.00 for full coverage and a $500.00 deductible. GEICO is a pathetic joke. Insurance is much more expensive here, as is everything else, but it's January and 70 degrees so I guess we pay to play. GEICO still sucks.
mik6055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #60
mattg
Not lost, just unfound.

I'm not a fan of Geico either. Out of boredom one day I quoted myself online with Geico. now in the course of this they asked what my current coverage is. Not only were they WAY more expensive, I was quoted with coverage that was less than half what I carry. Now if somebody doesn't fully understand what they are seeing, and don't be ashamed if you are one of them, they could really end up screwing themselves by getting a policy that may cost a few bucks less, but doesn't give you nearly the same coverage. I also hate their ads. Its all about money and really has nothing to do with what insurance is for which is saving you from financial ruin and getting you back what you have lost.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Purchasing, Insurance, & Warranty