click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories

Old 11-06-2018, 02:45 AM   #1
thegutterpoet

Will Risers solve the problem? Back paiN!

Apologies for duplicating some questions across threads but I am very eager to make a decision on this issue and hope to find some direct advice to help me with this.

I was off the FZ1 for most of this last year, riding a 05 Hornet instead, and after a while some longstanding upper steady pain between the blades and left shoulder tightness went away. The riding angle is different, which likely helped ease the situation. I rode 600 sporty whippets for too many years before this!

I have since returned to the 09 FZ1 and desperately wish to keep it and get rid of the Hornet but those pains have come back with horror, very quickly.

I naturally find myself sitting more upright with just my finger tips on the handles when I cruise. Now there do seem to be options...majorly the risers. Yet some have also said pegs will help. And then a few have suggested elsewhere that perhaps I can get a different bar.

The best option for risers seems the ROX. Yet I will need to get a longer brake line most but not all say. I reckon I need at least 2 inches back! Though the longer options will need more cables lengthened, which is hassle and cost.

https://www.amazon.com/Rox-Speed-FX-...1ZXK4YRAFQE4KP

Will these fit my 2009 FZ1 SY?

Are there any other options recommended? More simple to install is better!

Or are there also bars I should be considering?

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel

ALso...I had the satans adaptor with R1 spring installed a few years back. This perhaps has added to the lean.

Last edited by thegutterpoet; 11-06-2018 at 04:05 AM.
thegutterpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
ctfz1
corner carver

The right riding position usually works.
I've been swapping handlebars and risers for a long timr.

If tour Hornet riding position worked for you, compare.
Contrast the bar bend and reach between the 2.

Saddle position you closer or further from bars. Peg to butt location influences knee bend and back tention. Reach and bar angle are the other factor.

I've ridden enough I know what I like. you want to sit a bike that "fits" you, than decide the changes to make it so.
Or just buy the bar risers and see.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Ever consider using an inversion table to help alleviate the back pain? Your case might be different, but for me, who has a long history of back problems stemming from an injury when I was younger and in the Navy, an inversion table does wonders.

Oh wait, you're from down under and already upside down!

Seriously though, check it out.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:32 AM   #4
thegutterpoet

Thanks for the tips gents.

I do see obvious difference in the bars on my Hornet, which are almost heading vertical for 3 inches after straightening out sidewards from the clamp. Will need to take some measurements, but I like to think that if the 2" rox risers don't cure the ailments, I could also try an upward arcing bar for my FZ?

With bars, I assume its not as simple as finding something which looks comfortable and a universal length other than the 7/8 diameter of the bar?

Are there any specific bars to choose from for my FZ?

Last edited by thegutterpoet; 11-07-2018 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Get someone to take a pic of you sitting on the Hornet and then the FZ1 at the same angles from the side and the front. Then compare the two positions to know what you need to do to the FZ1 to get the same position.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Dicko's suggestion is good. If you haven't done this already, sometimes simply rotating the controls and/or the bars can make a huge difference to wrist position and what may seem completely unrelated neck, back, shoulder discomfort etc.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
thegutterpoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
Get someone to take a pic of you sitting on the Hornet and then the FZ1 at the same angles from the side and the front. Then compare the two positions to know what you need to do to the FZ1 to get the same position.
Was my plan earlier in the week but I fell foul of my two housemates who are offended by everything but themselves.

I hope the risers do the trick. Yet might well need a bar with extended cables. I have some $ I can use for this. I deserve a damn treat after a year of strife!
Old 11-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Also use this website

http://cycle-ergo.com/
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
ctfz1
corner carver

Emgo makes a Daytona bar (at least in USA, $25 amazon, but you lose bar end weights). should be cheap enough to try. Higher flatter bar which may or may not need longer brake line. Usually rerouting cables works.
Changing bars I light to have grips "on hand" just in case. Possibly a used Hornet bar might work (with risers?)
Depending on your leg length using an ATV pad raises the saddle a little, fold over to ty a little higher. (under $20 here)
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories