register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #41
Blake0116
Lets Ride

I agree with the sentiment that horns and other noises are often an afterthought to a near deadly situation.

Hell, I hardly ever use the horn in a car. The time that would be wasted mashing the center of the steering wheel is much better spent performing an evasive maneuver to avoid an accident.
Blake0116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #42
Blake0116
Lets Ride

I appreciate everybody who has posted useful information. I have read all of your thoughts and will be taking them into consideration if I choose to modify the bike in any way.
Blake0116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #43
motomania

It is OK to have a louder exhaust, just don't expect or claim any safety gains from it because there are none that are documented in any study.
2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 MC, SSL lines, custom tail, raised Sargeant seat, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130119
motomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #44
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania View Post
It is OK to have a louder exhaust, just don't expect or claim any safety gains from it because there are none that are documented in any study.
there's a lot of things about riding bike that aren't documented in a study.

if a tree falls in the forest with no one to study and document it- did it ever exist and fall in the first place?

there is no right answer to this question. comes down to where you ride, how you ride, and more importantly, where you ride.

out here, in Massachusetts LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES. mostly in the cities. new bedford, fall river, boston. (providence is close enough). City riding is the main place where pipes can help, man do people do some un-called for shit in the city.

but when i found myself out near deals gap,tn and the mountains, things changed and generally the pipes had little effect on my relative safety.
jd14771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:32 AM   #45
XRedJar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd14771 View Post
there's a lot of things about riding bike that aren't documented in a study.

if a tree falls in the forest with no one to study and document it- did it ever exist and fall in the first place?

there is no right answer to this question. comes down to where you ride, how you ride, and more importantly, where you ride.

out here, in Massachusetts LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES. mostly in the cities. new bedford, fall river, boston. (providence is close enough). City riding is the main place where pipes can help, man do people do some un-called for shit in the city.

but when i found myself out near deals gap,tn and the mountains, things changed and generally the pipes had little effect on my relative safety.
I agree, but need to add one critical element to the equation: Driver Awareness (or lack of it).

You can run an open exhaust or a whisper quiet pipe and it will make no difference if the drivers around you are not paying attention. Distracted driving is now more the norm than the exception, and that is probably our biggest safety issue. I was taught to ride like you're invisible, though I do find it refreshing when you see someone actually paying attention and maybe cuts you a break. We've always had issues with other vehicles "seeing" us. It's just much worse now that everyone has a cell phone and most seem to think that their vehicle is some kind of rolling entertainment pod.

So for me, a middle of the road loud/quiet slip-on is what I run. Not for safety reasons, but because I like the sound of it.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #46
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
I agree, but need to add one critical element to the equation: Driver Awareness (or lack of it).

You can run an open exhaust or a whisper quiet pipe and it will make no difference if the drivers around you are not paying attention.

So for me, a middle of the road loud/quiet slip-on is what I run. Not for safety reasons, but because I like the sound of it.
end of the day that is really just your opinion, as was mine.. it does help, in narrow situations, ones that normal riders don't finds themselves in (stuck in cities with blind spots everywhere).

i don't care how much you aren't paying attention- when i chuck a 12,000RPM rev ( i feel for my bike everytime i have too), attention is quickly found.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #47
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
Same here. The Akra full exhaust on my bike is polite in town, and a screaming gimme revs maniac when the times comes to have some fun in the "privacy" of a nice rural area. That pipe is much like a good woman

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #48
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

See riders chuck revs every day in traffic. It takes the drivers so long to refocus and locate the source that its main effect seems to be that of an expensive horn/flipping the bird.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:35 AM   #49
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
See riders chuck revs every day in traffic. It takes the drivers so long to refocus and locate the source that its main effect seems to be that of an expensive horn/flipping the bird.
keyword there- "refocus and locate the source". thankyou!

ill take a few seconds to locate me, than no seconds to not locate me!

whatever works, 55k and counting on my fz1, working well thus far, and the loud revs have helped in the past. why slam on my brakes when i can slam on my brakes and let out the clutch for a rev chuck to let the person know that they are ****ing up in front of me.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #50
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd14771 View Post
keyword there- "refocus and locate the source". thankyou!

ill take a few seconds to locate me, than no seconds to not locate me!

whatever works, 55k and counting on my fz1, working well thus far, and the loud revs have helped in the past. why slam on my brakes when i can slam on my brakes and let out the clutch for a rev chuck to let the person know that they are ****ing up in front of me.
That's not a loud pipe saving a life, thank you. It's look at me/don't like what you're doing/revenge etc.

Revving isn't going to hurt anything but for those fourteen year old moments I'd rather put the wear on the horn.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #51
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

The time it takes me to get on the horn or rev.... those are things I do AFTER I'm in the clear. I'm not going to rev or honk and hope it gets their attention. I do it after I've analyzed the situation and my evasive maneuver... It's at THAT point I honk or rev, to get their attention to shame them. I'm certainly not counting on the noise to save me though, as I've already saved myself with my actions beforehand.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #52
OldBiker

I only use the horn to either shame them once the act is done or to let them know I'm in the lane they want to change to.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #53
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
That's not a loud pipe saving a life, thank you. It's look at me/don't like what you're doing/revenge etc.

Revving isn't going to hurt anything but for those fourteen year old moments I'd rather put the wear on the horn.
yes,, it is a look at me move- because if somone is about to hit me by changing lanes, thats EXACTLY what i want them to do. thanks.

dont care if you view it as revenge or look at me- thats only your perception of the move. my motives are clear, dont hit me. should have looked before you moved.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #54
dan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Such a squid question. Pipes don't change your riding habits. Spend that pipe money on a riding course or a track day
Lol this from a guy that dumped his shit just a few days ago. Come on down off that high horse and treat the man's question with a little respect.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #55
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan13 View Post
Lol this from a guy that dumped his shit just a few days ago. Come on down off that high horse and treat the man's question with a little respect.
Yeah because an oil patch on a freshly wet road, doing absolutely nothing wrong or reckless, is the same as expected a loud pipe and revs to stop a dumb cagers.

You're as much as an idiot for that response as someone who thinks loud pipes will do more to save lives than proper riding technique and training. He took. My response really well and I offered good advice as well. I'm sorry I used the "S" word. Didnt mean to invade your safe space Dan.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #56
dan13

In one thread you've managed to call one guy a squid and another an idiot.
Your advice was good take away the first sentence and I would have never batted an eye.
But you're right I am an idiot. For thinking that maybe we could answer questions with out insulting the person asking it Jake.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #57
Desmo
Riiiiiight

Peeps need to simmah down nah.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #58
dan13

Yes sir. Lol
Old 05-26-2017, 12:55 AM   #59
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan13 View Post
In one thread you've managed to call one guy a squid and another an idiot.
Your advice was good take away the first sentence and I would have never batted an eye.
But you're right I am an idiot. For thinking that maybe we could answer questions with out insulting the person asking it Jake.
dont mind the trolls. some people cant share ideas without insulting eachother.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #60
isleoman

I could have typed this in all caps to get everyone's attention, but I thought it might be safe enough to use regular type with Desmo policing the interwebs.

I'm old enough to remember the intro to the Doors song "The Soft Parade"

To paraphrase it goes like this.....

"When I was back there in Seminary school / there was a person who put forth the proposition / that you can "Petition the Lord, with Loud Pipes"

"Petition the Lord, with Loud Pipes"

"Petition the Lord, with Loud Pipes"

"YOU CAN NOT PETITION THE LORD WITH LOUD PIPES"
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion