register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 03-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #181
maaaak

Quote:
Originally Posted by old77zrider View Post
I was at a Christmas party talking very politely about motorcycles with a retired successful businessman who puts 35k miles a year touring the country on a 24k dollar Harley that he spent 10k more modifying. 35k dollars!!
He said that he would never tour on anything but a Harley. I had to ask why. He blew me away when he said, "Because when you break down no matter where you are in this country a Harley dealer is within a hundred miles". What logic!
This guy was a millionaire! How does this happen?
That reminds me of an experience at an auto show. I was looking at a Mercedes when an older woman came up to me and started bragging about how well Mercedes had taken care of her when the transmission in her brand new Mercedes had blown (this was when Mercedes was dead last in reliability, now they beat Chrysler and GM and are only third from last). It had ONLY taken a month to do the repairs and they had given her a loaner. I couldn't help myself and just said "If you had bought a Lexus you wouldn't have needed any repairs at all".
maaaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 AM   #182
TKO
Miles To Go Before I Sleep

JD you had better stick to foot modeling.

Now I know your secret to staying so waif-like. Colored water for beer. Maybe I should switch from Black and Tan (where there are enough calories in a can to simulate eating a loaf of bread) to a more carbohydrate friendly beverage.

Who knows, the weight you save by drinking BudLight might be just the edge you need to break into the nines this season.
  • 2007 - R1 Front End w/AK 20's-Penske 8983-PC-IM-ECU Flash-BMC-Lars AB- AIS-Full Yosh R-77-15T/46T- DJ Quickshifter--Rizoma Rearsets-Graves FE-Magical Racing Screen-Factory Chin Cowl-ASV Shorties-Sargent Seat-55 Watt HID's-Gear Indicator-GPR V4 Stabilizer-Steel Braided Brake Lines-Speedo Healer-StompGrips-Watsen Design Flushmounts-Integrated Tailight-MP Axle Block Sliders-Engine and Fork Sliders-Bar End Mirrors-Zumo 550-Tail Rack w/48L CooCase-Givi V35PLX Side Cases

2011 WR250R
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:28 AM   #183
'Dumbdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws Justice View Post
Dam, and she is wearing white!
yeah but it's her first time. (with a bald guy in a bow tie on a tues afternoon in june of that year. That still counts, right?)
'Dumbdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #184
okaugust
Show me the candy first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Stop being so reasonable and fair, Tina!
Fair and balanced, that's my motto, you betcha!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #185
outlaws Justice
Outlaws Justice

Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoluni View Post
I witnessed that display of skill personally. In fact, that may be my blue FZ-1 in the background. You are in Total Control of that bike!

Hey Dave, How many Harleys show up for a Total Control class? Or do they just skip to the more advanced Lay er Down class!
The ambulance is part of the training for the Lay er Down Class!

Actually I get more Harleys than you might think, and those bikes like the Vmax and the Harleys need it more than anyone else to try to keep the hard parts off the ground.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #186
Chip

Two friends and I were stopped at a semi rural Sheets. IIRC, my S3, a Hypermotard and an SV650. While my friends were inside, a decrepit pick up truck pulled up. A rather large woman in need of an upper lip shave and dressed in a manner that's gives white trash a bad name, walked passed me going in and said "If it ain't a Harley, it ain't shit." I stood there somewhat dumbfounded and related the experience to my friends when they came out. They were shaking their heads when the woman emerged from the store and said again, as she passed us, "If it ain't a Harley, it ain't shit."

One of friends looked at her and said, "You're right, if it is not a Harley, it probably is not shit."

None of us thought she got it.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #187
outlaws Justice
Outlaws Justice

Harley Tale

A Couple years ago I started teaching the Total Control Class, and I wanted to get someone from each of the local Shops to participate in a class to get them to see the benefit and help promote it, Was going to do a glass and let the owners Shop managers in for next to nothing (Cover my costs) so I stop a local independent shop (The stereo typical Harley guy) I am talking to the owner (He is older, maybe early 60's) but he is blowing me off, how great he can ride and no one can teach him anything, he has raced before....... and of course everyone there thinks he is cool and I am an idiot thinking I can teach him anything. Ow well I move on, feeling bad for them. A year or more later while teaching a MSF Class, who do I have in the class but his wife. She is rough, and although we did our best and keep her in the class, she fails the testing. To her credit she does some back for more practice and eventually passes the class. At least he had the brains to send her to a class.

With all his riding skills, he is now alive, but brain damaged, wrecked the Harley one night and his little novelty helmet did not help him when it was no longer on his head. Sad ending and I feel bad, but helps me understand you can never learn too much, and the importance of gear.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #188
Racer Boy
I'm married to a Norwegian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Two friends and I were stopped at a semi rural Sheets. IIRC, my S3, a Hypermotard and an SV650. While my friends were inside, a decrepit pick up truck pulled up. A rather large woman in need of an upper lip shave and dressed in a manner that's gives white trash a bad name, walked passed me going in and said "If it ain't a Harley, it ain't shit." I stood there somewhat dumbfounded and related the experience to my friends when they came out. They were shaking their heads when the woman emerged from the store and said again, as she passed us, "If it ain't a Harley, it ain't shit."
The best come-back I ever came up with was in high school, when a guy (who actually had an ancient Harley) in class was giving me a hard time about riding my Kawasaki 650. He told me that I wasn't shit if I didn't ride a Harley. I said, "You are right, I ain't shit. What does that make you?" He couldn't come up with anything, and looked really mad. The rest of the class laughed at him. If only I could come up with more of those!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #189
saesph1
BIRDSEED

A former Marine/Police officer friend of mine comes into my shop, looks at the FZ1, says,"When are you going to get a real bike". Every time he visits. I respond every time, "How many mile did you ride last year on your 'real bike'".

That changes the subject to why he stopped by, what I can do for him at no charge.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #190
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

When people ask me if I'm ever going to get a Harley, sometimes I'll say "Why, so I can spend more to go slower?"

Stops them in their tracks every time.

- Some Loser
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #191
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyrider View Post
When people ask me if I'm ever going to get a Harley, sometimes I'll say "Why, so I can spend more to go slower?"

Stops them in their tracks every time.
Aw man but you would look so cool
2016 Suzuki DR650
2015 Road Glide
2007 FZ1
1978 Suzuki GS1000
2014 Victory Cross Country (Gone)
2011 WR450F (Gone)
2010 FJR (Gone)
2009 BMW R1200R (Gone)
2008 FJR (Gone)
2005 Roadstar Warrior (Gone)
2003 WR250 (Gone)
BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #192
kstafford

funny ass $hit

That guy was a total a hole and he got what he deserved. I saw that guy stunting in the ran in laconia last year he is pretty good.
kstafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #193
Charlie Brown

I can't wait to get caught in a pack of Davidson's at 10 MPH below the posted speed limited while trying to pass them, on the MT-01. Even with the stock pipes, it sounds like a PISSED OFF Harley! Drop a gear or two, twist the throttle, and wonder how many will take the bait. Really hoping to be able to put a stage 3, or stage 4, kit from Patrick Racing, into the beauty this summer. This bike is the most fun I have evey had, in 42 years of riding. It only makes 90HP, but a 150Lbs of torque, it sticks to my buddies 2001 Honda 929 like glue, up to about 180Kph, then really needs a fairing for anything above that. Yamaha Canada wants $1800 hundred dollars for their factor one. Looks Tit's though!
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #194
Slash1
like ridin' on air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
I can't wait to get caught in a pack of Davidson's at 10 MPH below the posted speed limited while trying to pass them, on the MT-01. Even with the stock pipes, it sounds like a PISSED OFF Harley! Drop a gear or two, twist the throttle, and wonder how many will take the bait. Really hoping to be able to put a stage 3, or stage 4, kit from Patrick Racing, into the beauty this summer. This bike is the most fun I have evey had, in 42 years of riding. It only makes 90HP, but a 150Lbs of torque, it sticks to my buddies 2001 Honda 929 like glue, up to about 180Kph, then really needs a fairing for anything above that. Yamaha Canada wants $1800 hundred dollars for their factor one. Looks Tit's though!
I'd love to take one of those for a spin. Unfortunately, we never got the chance in the U.S.
Slash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #195
Rttoys
insurance poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
I can't wait to get caught in a pack of Davidson's at 10 MPH below the posted speed limited
I call those guys "55ers". All they do is cruise around at 55 mph. Why??? Is that the correct Harly speed/rpm where your teeth won't vibrate out of your jaw???

Thanks for the comments on my V Max story, I have a TON of them. I'll try and think of the best of them and type them in as time permits. 7 years of V Max stories, hard to remember all of them.

Oh, and if you've never ridden a V Max, make it one of those things on your "bucket list". Guaranteed to grin from ear to ear.

'07 Yamaha FZ1- Micron GP slip-on, kitty gutted, Ivan's flies, Ivan's ECU programming, Exup eliminated, AIS blocked, air box mod, BMC filter, PCIII, synchronized throttle bodies, Corbin seat, Powerbronze screen, FZ6 Handlebars, Throttlemeister, Dunlop Q3

2009 Ducati Hypermotard
2014 Yamaha TW200
2013 Kawaski Ninja 300
2018 Honda Grom 125

FZ1- exhaust sound clip
2012 Honda Fury sound clip

CMRA #982
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #196
Rttoys
insurance poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws Justice View Post
Yes the V-Max will knock off the Harleys, but I have been know to take out a few squids in the twisties with a max as well. (Sure makes them feel bad)

Some of you might remember this trip to Maryland.

I can safely say I have made my Vmax take corners at speeds and conditions it was never made to do, BUT I have never gone that low before on it. Bad ass dude.

'07 Yamaha FZ1- Micron GP slip-on, kitty gutted, Ivan's flies, Ivan's ECU programming, Exup eliminated, AIS blocked, air box mod, BMC filter, PCIII, synchronized throttle bodies, Corbin seat, Powerbronze screen, FZ6 Handlebars, Throttlemeister, Dunlop Q3

2009 Ducati Hypermotard
2014 Yamaha TW200
2013 Kawaski Ninja 300
2018 Honda Grom 125

FZ1- exhaust sound clip
2012 Honda Fury sound clip

CMRA #982
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #197
Damascus

As more experienced riders know, it's 80% rider and 20% bike. All I can tell you is that over the last couple of weeks me and my Road King have been blowing past other riders in the twisties on FZ1s, Tuonos, R1s, GSXRs, and a few other kinds I couldn't get a good look at. I wouldn't sell all Harleys short if I were you.
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #198
'Dumbdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
As more experienced riders know, it's 80% rider and 20% bike. All I can tell you is that over the last couple of weeks me and my Road King have been blowing smoke past other riders in the twisties forcing riders on FZ1s, Tuonos, R1s, GSXRs, and a few other kinds I couldn't get a good look at to pull over and wipe oil off their visors. I wouldn't sell all Harleys short if I were you.
fixed it.
'Dumbdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #199
james71
The action is the juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post

One of friends looked at her and said, "You're right, if it is not a Harley, it probably is not shit."

None of us thought she got it.

Quote:
the woman emerged from the store and said again, as she passed us, "If it ain't a Harley, it ain't shit."

Priceless!!
james71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #200
Alpha Wolf
Crushing Repli Racer Egos.....

Location: Salinas, Deep within the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia....
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
Back on topic, here's one of my HD stories:

After I bought my V-Max (back in '02) the wife and I went to the Republic of Texas Biker Rally with a bunch of our Harley friends. We met up with everyone at the rally grounds, walked around looking at stuff and then the trash talking started to fly. "I have Sream'n Eagle this and that.....bla bla bla", "Oh ya, well my bike has scream'n Eagle this and that, plus that....bla bla bla"....."well I dyno'ed bla bla bla".....I've got 10k in my motor alone...blablabla"..."I can out run you anytime...bla bla bla"

The ex-wife and I just sat back and listened while rolling our eyes. they then turned to me asking what I've done to my bike (like they cared), I said, just a Cobra exhaust and a backrest so the lady doesn't fall off. was their reaction.

Well, we leave the rally grounds all together and they take off reving the dog snot out of their bikes. Of course we are at the back of our group so I just kind of 'keep up' with them. Well well well We are at a stoplight all sitting there side by side no one in front of us and a long straight away. We were all in the right lane side by side, I (ex-wife on the back, all of them running solo) was 3rd row back at the end of our group and there were cars in the left lane. They are all reving their bikes just choping at the bit to take off. I tell my ex-wife "when we clear these cars I'm coming over and wasteing them." So she was ready.

Well, the light turns green and we are off. I stay in 1st as I clear the car next to me, move over and proceed to full throttle...... As I qiuck shift 1 to 2 the front wheel flies in the air (normal for a V-Max) and comes down, by 2nd gear I've caught the guys in the front, pound 2 to 3 and do another short wheelie as we are now gone and she is waving at them.

We get to the next light and they were none too happy with me. Needless to say we never talked about "who's faster" the entire weekend.

Was riding with my buddy Kelly on my Virago and him on his VMax at the Hollister rally a few years back. We find out Corbin has a free dyno session going so over we ride. We get there and there are 3 Harley guys in line ahead of Kelly as he wanted to dyno his Max. First guy all proud and thumping his chest and saying his bike is so bad Screaming Eagle this and that, what a monster it is to ride blah blah blah.. .Dyno runs.............................. 65 hp!

Next guy another Road King same thing..... 69 hp!

Last guy is on a Big Dog or some such custom bike with a "full blown S&S Race Motor" blah blah.. He is laughing at the first two Harley guys....
The dyno runs.......................85 hp!

He is all proud and talking smack to the other 2 guys. He sees Kelly pushing his Vmax up and starts the ricer crap talk blah blah how his bike could CRUSH that POS Vmax on and on.....
The dyno runs.................... 118hp!

You should have seen the look on those Harley riders faces....
01 Blue FZ: Bitubo: SBK Rear Shock RaceTech: Fork Springs/Gold Valves CarboTech: CF Front/Rear fenders Yosh C/F Slip On Hole Shot: Jet Kit, Timing Advancer, AIS Eliminator Givi: Rack, E41 Side Cases, E52 Center Case/top rack/backrest Pyramid: DB Windscreen Yamaha: CF Fairing Inserts, 15/44 gearing,Shaved Mud flaps. Hot Bodies: Turn Signal Integrator LP: Flush Mount Front turn indicator lights Bike Master: Superbike Handlebar

Alpha Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion