register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
RiderJC

Seat Lock

Bought a 2012 FZ1 and it only came with one key, and that key will not unlock the rear seat. How can I open it, and remove the tumbler to have it re-keyed?
RiderJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
BKFZ1

Just incase you haven't consulted the manual - I didn't, and 2 weeks later when I did, I found out...

Key turns counter clockwise (only) and it trips a latch to remove the pillion seat, you then access a latch that allows the main saddle to be removed.
BKFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
9Lives

Pushing down on the back of the seat while turning the key helps. It takes the pressure off the latch
9Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
RiderJC

Turned out to be a worn out key. So, you take the two anti-theft bolts that hold the seat tumbler. They take a special allen head. The kind with the hole in the middle. Once you remove those two bolts, you can put a flat-head screwdriver into the key slot and turn the whole tumble counter-clockwise. The cable is mounted on the top of the tumbler, and when turned, it pulls the cable just as if you had turned it with the key. I then had the seat open, but to remove the tumbler was going to be a bitch. The whole tail section would have to come apart I think. The tumbler can’t be pushed out far enough to remove it, and get to the cable mounted to it. I got so lucky. As I was looking around under the seat for the first time, I saw a key zip-tied to the frame. I could have accessed it by taking off the small panel on the right, and would have been able to get to it, but had no idea that it was there. That key was brand new, and when I tried it on the lock, it worked perfectly!
RiderJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
bplaxton

something to be thankful for!
2006 shift red, TBR slip-on, cat gutted, modded flies, lars airbox, Ivan's ECU flash and map, DJ PCIII, AIS block, Blind Spot's fuel line, EXUP eliminator, speedohealer, ventura tail rack, HID conversion, throttlemeister bar ends, yamaha gel seat, Watsen Design signals, Satan666 adaptor & R1 shock, Fen Tubo SS lines.
bplaxton is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion