click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 08-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #101
ballmead
I like em Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFKISTHENAME View Post
So, with V Cycle Nuts Flash, it makes the sub-throttle flies obsolete as well?
I think you might have it mixed up. Ivan's flash works with the stock flies, it doesn't make them obsolete.

I'm not too sure about the Vcycle flash, maybe someone who has one can pipe up.
2010 FZ1N - Mivv Speed Edge with Arrow headers - Ivan's ECU flash - PCV - Modded Airbox with DNA air filter - 49T rear sprocket - 2008 R1 Forks and brakes - Penske 8983 rear shock - LighTech rear sets
ballmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:41 AM   #102
fermic37

Both flashes make the "modded" flies obsolete. Since in the flash they are made to open much sooner.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #103
okrider

So I figured out a solution to my problem. While on a trip to NYC, I increased the idle on my bike to 1300ish (from 900, where it has been since I bought it) and my throttle lag issue went away. Just like that.
I tried the R6 throttle tube, didn't like it so I switched back. I've played with the tps a bit, liked it best at 18 so that's where it stays. Also got vstacks now. Didn't notice much of a difference with them on.

Bike does feel sluggish under 6k rpm, (before you say anything, I know it's a 4cyl with power at the higher rpms). So since the on/off is gone now, I'm in search of mods to increase low end torque. Still haven't done the airbox mod so that may happen soon.

Also realized the VCyclenut flash gave me a much better mpg.

Last edited by okrider; 09-06-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: clarification
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #104
kjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
So I figured out a solution to my problem. While on a trip to NYC, I increased the idle on my bike to 1300ish (from 900, where it has been since I bought it) and my throttle lag issue went away. Just like that.
I tried the R6 throttle tube, didn't like it so I switched back. I've played with the tps a bit, liked it best at 18 so that's where it stays. Also got vstacks now. Didn't notice much of a difference with them on.

Bike does feel sluggish under 6k rpm, (before you say anything, I know it's a 4cyl with power at the higher rpms). So since the on/off is gone now, I'm in search of mods to increase low end torque. Still haven't done the airbox mod so that may happen soon.

Sprocket change may get you where you want to be.
kjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #105
fermic37

Did you install a -1 front sprocket?
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #106
okrider

No I'm still rocking the original chain and sprockets at 21k miles. Will need to be changed soon. I'm going to try the airbox mod this weekend, and then start searching/preparing for the new chain and sprockets. -1 front sounds like the way to go so far. I can send the ECU for a speedo fix as well.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #107
dschult2

Quote:

Yeah, 900 is way too low. Should be around 1200-1250 but I'm sure 1300 is fine as well.
dschult2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #108
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschult2 View Post
Yeah, 900 is way too low. Should be around 1200-1250 but I'm sure 1300 is fine as well.
Yeah bike seems to not mind the higher idle, I'm definitely happier with the better throttle response.

Talked to David yesterday, he said I don't have to send the ECU back for a reflash after cutting the airbox since it's very minor differences between the two maps

Last edited by okrider; 09-07-2017 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Reasons
Old 09-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #109
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

That's where idle should be (1100-1300), to ensure sufficient oil flow at idle.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #110
ZX-Dominance

airbox and velocity stacks go a long way to giving a tad bit more oomph below 5.5k.

I went Graves, and its (feels) much stronger (with a beautiful wail from the intake) starting around 4k.

Others like FP which probably do better down low and only sacrifice a bit up top.
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * AK20s * Elka Elite* Yosh R77 * Flashed * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * PCV+Ign+Autotune * TechSpecs * Carbon all over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #111
ZX-Dominance

PS- if youre using a 190/55 rear tire, Id suggest 17-49.

In fact, Even if youre not Id suggest 17-47. Lots to be said about chain wear/noise/wheelbase/etc when comparing sprocket combinations.

The -1 is the "cheap" options, but if youre already changing the sprockets and/or chain, my personal opinion is to leave a stock size front option and go larger in the rear.

www.gearingcommander.com has more info than one would ever need when looking at possible setups.
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * AK20s * Elka Elite* Yosh R77 * Flashed * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * PCV+Ign+Autotune * TechSpecs * Carbon all over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
Old 10-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #112
okrider

Does anyone notice a lag in the throttle when shifting up? My on/off mid-corner is pretty smooth but I feel a lag when I upshift and reapply throttle. It didn't bother me before, but I think it's a little more obvious now with the -1 on the front.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #113
LDH

Stock my 2015 wasn’t too bad, once I trimmed the flies,did the airbox, 16t and r6 throttle tube it was really bad. I run my idle at 1400 and tried the zady5 diode mod, the vc flash but the only thing that eliminated it completely was the Ivan’s ecu flash. I also use the pcfc with the 02 sensor fitted to tune the closed loop area as the vc flash does not address that area and many have commented that just turning off the fuel cut didn’t work, you must add fuel to that area.
I think the diode mod would have worked with the vc flash to fix the snatch but did not try them together.
LDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #114
ZX-Dominance

Quote:
Does anyone notice a lag in the throttle when shifting up? My on/off mid-corner is pretty smooth but I feel a lag when I upshift and reapply throttle. It didn't bother me before, but I think it's a little more obvious now with the -1 on the front.
Quick-bump (shorter throw) the shift lever and give a little extra gas as you apply clutch.

The FZ1 and R1 do NOT like a break, e.g. its almost smoother to not release the throttle (or to only reduce throttle) when upshifting.

If youre slow at all, its going to be a lag as the gear engages
Old 10-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #115
ZX-Dominance

Riding my zx6 (finally back in street garb) this weekend back to back with the fz made me appreciate kawi's slick transmission.

The fz is great, but again, "relaxed" upshifts are not smooth, this girl is made to GO, and i continually find my smoothest upshifts use only the minimal amount of clutch with some early gas as the gear engages

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance