register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 05-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
okrider

Maybe bike's born with it, Maybe it's Thermowax

After reading all the threads about thermowax failures, I have a couple questions, would love the input of people who have had to mess with it.

My bike is an '08 with 25k miles on it. Throttle bodies recently synced. Problem existed before and after the sync. For the past couple thousand miles, I've noticed that the bike starts fine, then once it warms up, naturally the idle goes down, it goes to about 1100 or so. After I've been riding for a bit (10-15 mins), I notice that the idle goes up to 1400-1500 or so. I can change the idle using the adjustment knob on the left side. I also have a very slight rpm hang. I assume my issue is with the thermowax based on what I've read. Am I supposed to replace the unit? If I need to replace it, do I replace number 16 on this link or do I need to replace the whole unit. I can get a used set of throttle bodies with the unit attached for about $80.

Also, as far as I understand, the two hoses running to the unit have coolant in them which makes sense as it needs the heat to for the wax to melt. What do you do with those coolant lines when you're removing the unit.

Most pictures from the old threads aren't available anymore so it's hard to wrap my head around it.

Just realized this should've been in the Problems & Issues topic, my bad

Thanks in advance,
OK

Last edited by okrider; 05-17-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Wrong topic
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

There is at least one thread on "repairing" the thermowax, I think using a penny? Somebody might know what exactly it is, but you could search for it...

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
There is at least one thread on "repairing" the thermowax, I think using a penny? Somebody might know what exactly it is, but you could search for it...
I've read it all, the penny "repair" isn't really a repair, it's more of a way to "disable" thermowax altogether
Old 05-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

The Gen 1 has a tendency to have the idle go up slightly and hang just a bit more when reved after getting very warm. Maybe only a 200 rpm increase. The rev hang was even more pronounced on my old XS650 which also raised idle when real warm. I thought all 4 stroke multiple cylinder motor cycles did this.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:36 AM   #5
yamrider1

Hi All,
When I bought my 2010 FZ1-N new I had 6 months of it continuously going back to the dealers with erratic running issues, once the bike warmed up it would just splutter to a halt and only restart after cooling down. Several things were tried but no faults could be found. Eventually I told the dealer to take it out for a ride instead of only starting it up in the workshop and Hey Presto the fault was proven and the dealer had to agree it was what he described as the cold start mechanism. He told me complete new throttle bodies were needed as the Thermowax mechanism could not be purchased separately. I thought at the time this was strange but put it down to the repair being done under warranty. Does anyone know if the item can be bought separately as it seems to be a part that is held in place with just 2 screws. Surely you don't have to buy the whole lot.
yamrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Waculjr903
Twisted One

The part you can purchase is the upper portion of the thermowax unit. That is the part with the wax in it. Best thing I can recommend is taking the two screws and hoses off the unit. Next, there is a rod in the lower portion of the unit that can get some crud on it and stick, causing the real issue. Thouroughly clean and then lube this rod and see that it does function properly with the linkage below it. Once its working good, put it back together and rock on! I had to use a needle nose channel lock pliers on the edge of the two screws on top to keep from stripping out the phillips screw heads. Hope this helps you...
Waculjr903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waculjr903 View Post
The part you can purchase is the upper portion of the thermowax unit. That is the part with the wax in it. Best thing I can recommend is taking the two screws and hoses off the unit. Next, there is a rod in the lower portion of the unit that can get some crud on it and stick, causing the real issue. Thouroughly clean and then lube this rod and see that it does function properly with the linkage below it. Once its working good, put it back together and rock on! I had to use a needle nose channel lock pliers on the edge of the two screws on top to keep from stripping out the phillips screw heads. Hope this helps you...
Much appreciated, I think I'll attempt this tomorrow. Quick question, do the hoses going to the unit have coolant in them? Do they make a mess when you pull them off?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #8
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

They do and they will

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
They do and they will
So do you just wait until it's over? Do you turn them up so it kinda stays in the hoses? Do you connect the two via a plastic fitting of some sort?
Old 05-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #10
okrider

Ok that was much less dramatic than I feared. I cleaned everything up with very little break cleaner, followed by lubing the moving parts. Didn't remove the lower half of the thermowax unit but instead used needle nose pliers to lube the rod in there.

After reassembly, I noticed the outside of the bottom unit was pretty dirty, sprayed some brake cleaner on there too. I'll check it out again tomorrow morning, run it up to temp, see what happens.

Last edited by okrider; 05-23-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:39 AM   #11
okrider

No change whatsoever. Still idles low until it's up to temp, then idle goes up.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:35 AM   #12
yamrider1

Hi,
Sounds to me like your Thermowax unit isn't working at all. Whereas mine worked but would not shut off, basically like running on full choke till it wouldn't run at all. On initial start from cold everything seemed fine, that is high idle dropping down to normal idle when warm, then spluttered to a halt because it hadn't actually shut off. Yours seems to be the opposite like trying to start from cold but with no choke. Low idle till it warms up.
yamrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:01 AM   #13
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamrider1 View Post
Hi,
Sounds to me like your Thermowax unit isn't working at all. Whereas mine worked but would not shut off, basically like running on full choke till it wouldn't run at all. On initial start from cold everything seemed fine, that is high idle dropping down to normal idle when warm, then spluttered to a halt because it hadn't actually shut off. Yours seems to be the opposite like trying to start from cold but with no choke. Low idle till it warms up.
I can see the thermowax getting closer to the idle cable as it the bike warms up. So I'm pretty sure the thermowax is doing something. If it wasn't working at all, it would be touching the idle cable all the time.

I cleaned the thermowax again. I didn't clean the one rod on the bottom the first time I was in there, I didn't know it was removable. I'm in the middle of a valve adjustment job right now so I don't know if cleaning again worked or not. I'll report back soon

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance