click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #1
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Malcom Stewart broke his femur last night

Malcom Stewart crashed in the whoops section last night and broke his femur...seems likehe is following in his brothers footsteps of being fast and inconsistent.
https://www.nbcsports.com/video/malc...event-glendale
Old 01-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
Duken4evr
Map Maven

That is too bad. Those guys are playing with fire for sure.

I always admired how Ryan Dungey was smart and strategic about his racing and managing the extremely high risk at his level. Dungey is fast, but not the fastest guy, and he managed to keep something in reserve and consistently finish well. Dungey wore his competition down. For the length of his career and the results he got, Dungey made it through with comparatively few injuries. His 2017 title win against Tomac, who had far more 1st place finishes, was a testament to Dungey's steady consistency. Ryan did what he had to do, finished behind Tomac but not too far behind, to claim the 2017 title, and then he retired. Ya, it would have been nice for Dungey to beat Tomac in that race, but he did not have to. Dungey did exactly what was necessary without taking on extra risk for ego's sake.

At an infinitely lower level, I try to model my dirt bike riding after Dungey's (and Mr. Smooth Kevin Windham) attitude. I wanna enjoy riding off road for as long as I can while avoiding injury. That means still holding something in reserve when riding fast. To hang it all the way out there like the Stewarts do is cool in the short term, but not terribly sustainable over the long term. All that said, nobody blitzed the whoops like James in his prime...

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
ralphcor

Mookie needs to hang it up. He's lucky he got a ride this season. He's fast on occasion, but has no stamina because he doesn't train like the others.

His biggest mistake was taking time off when he won the Championship, missed his best opportunities then.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
That is too bad. Those guys are playing with fire for sure.

I always admired how Ryan Dungey was smart and strategic about his racing and managing the extremely high risk at his level. Dungey is fast, but not the fastest guy, and he managed to keep something in reserve and consistently finish well. Dungey wore his competition down. For the length of his career and the results he got, Dungey made it through with comparatively few injuries. His 2017 title win against Tomac, who had far more 1st place finishes, was a testament to Dungey's steady consistency. Ryan did what he had to do, finished behind Tomac but not too far behind, to claim the 2017 title, and then he retired. Ya, it would have been nice for Dungey to beat Tomac in that race, but he did not have to. Dungey did exactly what was necessary without taking on extra risk for ego's sake.

At an infinitely lower level, I try to model my dirt bike riding after Dungey's (and Mr. Smooth Kevin Windham) attitude. I wanna enjoy riding off road for as long as I can while avoiding injury. That means still holding something in reserve when riding fast. To hang it all the way out there like the Stewarts do is cool in the short term, but not terribly sustainable over the long term. All that said, nobody blitzed the whoops like James in his prime...
James was good but I watched Travis Pastrana wheelie the entire whoops section at Washougal just skimming the tops. It was amazing to watch.

It sucks that Malcolm broke his leg and I wish him a speedy recovery.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
COOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
I watched Travis Pastrana wheelie the entire whoops section at Washougal just skimming the tops. It was amazing to watch.
I saw him do the same thing in Daytona
Old 01-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Sucks for Malcolm. It looks like he was in good physical shape this year and ready to stop crashing out of every main.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
QuietRider
Officer it won't go that fast

Sorry to hear about Malcolm - he was riding pretty well. When he crashed I thought "he's following in his brother's footsteps."
Old 01-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #8
bikeridermark

Sorry to hear about Malcolm. Very good rider at times, but never great. James, Wow, he was the fastest guy I've ever seen. Shame it didn't last.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #9
Racer Boy
I'm married to a Norwegian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
James was good but I watched Travis Pastrana wheelie the entire whoops section at Washougal just skimming the tops. It was amazing to watch.
I saw that, too. We must have been at the same race years before we met! Small world.

I remember Pastrana being really impressive through the whoops, and Ricky Carmichael (who was still racing in 125s then) also being really fast.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
RIDER1

I was looking forward to seeing Malcom doing well this year, and now Anderson is hurt too
RIDER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #11
Buckeye2wheeler

All of the top level riders can all ride just as fast and on the edge like the Stewart brothers. They don't ride that way all the time, to limit the risk of getting hurt and not being able to race. You have to ride smart to win championships
Buckeye2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion