register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 05-01-2010, 04:50 AM   #1
Ivan
Performance Master

An idea about cams - Gen2

We know that the intake cam can be used from an 04-06 R1. But what about an exhaust cam?? The 04-06 R1 exhaust cam cannot be used due to the different clocking of the cam sensor pickup peg.

Well, it seems to me that the 07-08 R1 share the same ignition module as the Gen 2 FZ-1..... This tells me that the cam sensor phasing and crank triggers are the same.

So the cam combo would be:
Intake from 04-06 R1
Exhaust from 07-08 R1

I would have to do some checking to see if the journal diameters and lobe spacing are the same for the exhaust cam.

Probably this coming fall....

Ivan
Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
V10KLZZ71S
Ford Lover

Keep us informed. I wonder what that would do to the mid range and low end?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Ivan
Performance Master

It would not be worth doing without a compression increase.... Also R1 valve springs and a higher rev-limit.... Also re-gearing too.

Exhaust system design would be somewhat of an issue if it was going to be used as a "normal" FZ-1.

Low end would definetly be softened.... how much would depend on the above.

Ivan
Old 10-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
billis21

Hello. Reviving that dead post .
Did Anyone finally use r1 exhaust cam, and if yes from what year?
I am about to upgrade my fz1 with r1 cams, thinner head gasket, custom made exhaust header, custom made velocity stacks etc....
But I definety won't go with just the intake cam, because I believe that at very high rpm I will have more air-fuel mixture that I definately won't manage to send it to the header.
Thank you.
billis21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
kjm

Let us know how it goes!
kjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Sounds like your moving all your power to the top end. Which, is okay if you live above 7k rpm. I wont say I havent seen 11k but dont need to often. I admire the hunt for hp but, do you wanna wring its neck to get there?

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
LDH

I wonder what the r1 head would do on the fz1, it would be almost the same work to swap as to do a valve adjustment.
LDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I wonder what the r1 head would do on the fz1, it would be almost the same work to swap as to do a valve adjustment.
Again, moving hp up top. Sure it would make better power, but youd wring its neck. I have played this game over and over. Even on my v twin Italion bikes. You trade low end for top end. YMMV

Old 10-19-2017, 04:28 AM   #9
fermic37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billis21 View Post
Hello. Reviving that dead post .
Did Anyone finally use r1 exhaust cam, and if yes from what year?
I am about to upgrade my fz1 with r1 cams, thinner head gasket, custom made exhaust header, custom made velocity stacks etc....
But I definety won't go with just the intake cam, because I believe that at very high rpm I will have more air-fuel mixture that I definately won't manage to send it to the header.
Thank you.
Seems like a lot of work just to get closer to the power and characteristics of the R1 engine. Why not just swap in a whole R1 engine and wiring harness? Its been done before.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:36 AM   #10
Big_Dave
Gratefully Deadicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
Seems like a lot of work just to get closer to the power and characteristics of the R1 engine. Why not just swap in a whole R1 engine and wiring harness? Its been done before.
Or just buy an R1 and forego the whole swap. =)
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #11
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Risers and a seat would be the more logical approach...

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #12
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Dave View Post
Or just buy an R1 and forego the whole swap. =)
And R1 with handlebars, and moving some pegs?! That makes too much sense!
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #13
fermic37

R1 insurance is still way to high, and the price of the bikes are still up there. You can get an engine for 1k. Swap it in the fz frame and away you go.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #14
billis21

Many post with no replies . The question is if r1 exhaust cam can be fitted. Does anyone know?
billis21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #15
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by billis21 View Post
Many post with no replies . The question is if r1 exhaust cam can be fitted. Does anyone know?
As Ivan said above, certain years. Get a GOOD micrometer and get to measuring. Your cheapo harbor freight micrometer won't cut it when thousandths matter. Building a engine is no joke. If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't. But if you insist, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a dial type starrett, at the very minimum. Check and recheck everything. By the time you buy a parts, and the specialty tools this job REQUIRES, you'd have far more invested than if you'd have just bought a r1 and put a good seat and risers on it.

I get the feeling there is a reason Ivan never came back with his experiences from this, it likely isn't worth the time.

Swapping in a whole r1 motor will be cheaper and better in the long run. R1 internals are much better, lots more titanium in the components, it's why they can rev much higher.

If your whole goal is more power, this is your ticket. https://www.tts-performance.co.uk/si...aha-Fazer-1000
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #16
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Michael Fz1, well said.

OP, if you insist on going this way, sounds like your on your own. Possibly there is an engine builder that can help. Back in my day, I could call Yoshimura, they wouldnt give me exact figures on their motors but would instead tell me the best combinations on the air/oil cooled gixxer motors. Kaz was and is a great guy, very approachable and a kind individual. I wouldnt know who builds Yamaha R1 motors, or if they'd be willing to give you info.
Just a word of advice, head porting and polishing is generally the best way to get more power. I had more success with it than even a big bore kit. Cams will help but do nothing compared to a flowed head. If you combine the two, now you've gotta watch piston squish. Too much and your bending valves, too little and you get a loss of compression. Detonation is yet another worry. You have alot to think about other than a simple cam swap. To do it right, youd want both intake and exhaust cams changed, omitting the fact that maybe the intake cam is the same in both motors.

At any rate, I ve said enough. Wish you the best, stick around and post up your progress.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #17
bjamick

I would be curious to see what the cams would do. However I don’t want to lose the low end grunt either. My bike kinda has best of both worlds. Good top end and good low end. Although it took Ivan’s whole arsenal along with some free mods. I felt bad the other day when my buddy on his 2016 r1 was catching me pretty quickly after about 130-140mph. However can’t feel to bad riding a 10 year old bike with 11-12 year old technology lol.

Also I’ll be getting a dyno tune in my bike hopefully this next week. I will be finding out the max hp you can get out of one of these bikes. I’m honestly hoping for around 160-165 rwhp. Either way I’ll let you guys know how it does without any internal mods yet.
1993 mustang coupe with ls1. Oh and N2O.
bjamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:42 AM   #18
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamick View Post
I would be curious to see what the cams would do. However I don’t want to lose the low end grunt either. My bike kinda has best of both worlds. Good top end and good low end. Although it took Ivan’s whole arsenal along with some free mods. I felt bad the other day when my buddy on his 2016 r1 was catching me pretty quickly after about 130-140mph. However can’t feel to bad riding a 10 year old bike with 11-12 year old technology lol.

Also I’ll be getting a dyno tune in my bike hopefully this next week. I will be finding out the max hp you can get out of one of these bikes. I’m honestly hoping for around 160-165 rwhp. Either way I’ll let you guys know how it does without any internal mods yet.
I'll throw a guess at 153whp. Best of luck!
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #19
Duken4evr
Map Maven

This recent post is interesting. A modded FZ1 really holds no advantage over a similarly modded R1 down low, and gets smoked on top. Yamaha did not "retune for torque" with the FZ1, they detuned...

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...62&postcount=1

We still have a great motor for the class, but it does not hold really have any advantages vs. a similar vintage R1. The graph does show a down low dip on the R1 curve, but that may be a side effect of that dyno. Even if not, it is not that big a deal when looked at in totality.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #20
bjamick

The r1 could have same problem as the fz1 did. That nice dip because of the header design flaw. Once you up the compression with gasket and the better header maybe that dip goes away and you keep mid range and gain the top end. Maybe one day, I do know jlewis tried it but didn’t use exhaust cam though and said it was a waste of time and money.
1993 mustang coupe with ls1. Oh and N2O.
bjamick is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance