click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 06-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Blind Spot
Represent

Blind Spot's Unkinkable Fuel Line Mod.

Strip the old plastic host off the fitting on the quick release connectors.

Go to autozone, purchase Prestone 1/4th inch ID EFI hose (I tried the 5/16, it goes on easier and clamps better but the ID of the 1/4th matches more closely to the stock pipe and is easier to route). Pick up a package of EFI hose clamps.

Use some soap/water inside the ends of the hose to scoot it onto the connector.

Before placing the second connector, make sure you have 2x clamps on the line.

Viola!

You now have a 10 dollar fix to a 40 dollar problem, with 0 down time and a part that's BETTER than OEM. No more crappy plastic OEM fuel pipe.

Yes, it needs to be trimmed a bit, but if it fits as is I'm going to keep it since it'll just let me prop the tank open further before requiring a disconnect.

Haven't tested it yet, but no reason it shouldn't work.

Enjoy!

http://yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105290

Businesses love a working server, don't trust India, see an IT admin and get rid of it.
Blind Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
jlewis_02
Dragracer

I like it.
Now go hook it up and see if the fuel pump blows it apart.I hope it dont as I like the idea.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis_02 View Post
I like it.
Now go hook it up and see if the fuel pump blows it apart.I hope it dont as I like the idea.
Likewise.

I have a FP gauge I'll hook up to make sure the line's length and ID aren't making a change for the worse.

Though, I will be making a mobile fuel pipe changeout kit that I'll tow for the next month while I'm leakdown testing.

I'm pretty confident that even without the clamps that line isn't going anywhere. It took me 15 minutes of twisting to get both ends on.... even after having applied a bit of soapy water (I'll need to purge the line with alcohol before use).

Businesses love a working server, don't trust India, see an IT admin and get rid of it.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #4
ATC Crazy
One-Tire Fire

Nice. I thought about this a while back but I didn't think the connectors came off. Partly because I never took the time to study them.

I've got some extra fuel line laying around, so I'll do this in a couple days when my PCIII comes in!
Old 06-19-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Duken4evr
Map Maven

I picked up a set of iridium plugs for my bike - definitely will follow in your footsteps while I am under the tank. The '02 DRZ 400 fuel hose is OEM too and stiffening up, should probably replace that as well.

Thanks for the prodding!

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
TKO
Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Very nice work. Thanks for doing all the hard stuff for the benefit of others.

If I would have tried to come up with this mod . . .

• 2007 - R1 Front End w/AK 20's-Penske 8983-PC-IM-ECU Flash-BMC-Lars AB- AIS-Full Yosh R-77-15T/46T- DJ Quickshifter--Rizoma Rearsets-Graves FE-Magical Racing Screen-Factory Chin Cowl-ASV Shorties-Sargent Seat-55 Watt HID's-Gear Indicator-GPR V4 Stabilizer-Steel Braided Brake Lines-Speedo Healer-StompGrips-Watsen Design Flushmounts-Integrated Tailight-MP Axle Block Sliders-Engine and Fork Sliders-Bar End Mirrors-Zumo 550-Tail Rack w/48L CooCase-Givi V35PLX Side Cases

2011 WR250R
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Rockhound
7 kinds of Smoke

Did you try buying an OEM? The one I bought seemed to be made slightly different than the stocker. Seemed more rigid, but this is definitely cheaper.

I really like this and will definitely do it if it kinks again. Thanks for the hard work and ingenuity.

As of now, I disconnect the fuel line as soon as I can fit my hand in the area. I also kept the stocker for when I sync the TB's so I can use that and have the tank lifted without kinking my new one.
Rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
rafartist

You might want to install a HALON system under your seat and tank too LMAO! I hope this works out because Im gonna do it too, when I was under there doing the AIS, the gas line definetly wasnt perfectly round! Nice work dude.
07 lineX'd,Dan Moto modded pipe,no flies,chopped box,Tag metals copper bars with SV mounts,HEL lines,punched cat,delrin sliders,15t,no o2,no exup,swingarm mounted tag,hidden key switch,smoke taillight,integrated mirrors,bark busters,Hayabusa headlamp,custom made guage bracket,wrapped headers,pc111 with stage 3 smoothed map,06 R1 forks brakes and shock,08 r1 dog bone to raise the rear,fce,copper shorty levers,soon to be bare bars except for clutch lever and brake setup
rafartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
chaparral

Location: Guernsey channel islands uk (35mph max speed limit)
When i do this mod i also put an anti-kink spring on the fuel line...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparral View Post
I wonder if putting an Anti-Kink Coil Spring on the stock fuel line would stop it from kinking

Something Like the ones used for PC watercooling hoses http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/...e.php?cat=1522

chaparral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
Did you try buying an OEM? The one I bought seemed to be made slightly different than the stocker. Seemed more rigid, but this is definitely cheaper.

I really like this and will definitely do it if it kinks again. Thanks for the hard work and ingenuity.

As of now, I disconnect the fuel line as soon as I can fit my hand in the area. I also kept the stocker for when I sync the TB's so I can use that and have the tank lifted without kinking my new one.
I have a brand new OEM on the bike right now; I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot modifying the original line with nothing to fall back on.... especially since Yamaha is seriously backordered on these lines.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
Adjuster
Retired from the WR.

Get some braided hose, it will not kink easy, or leak easy. (However, it will abrade anything it rubs up against, so it might be wise to use a nylon cover v/s stainless steel.)

I very much doubt that any rated fuel line would not hold the pressure from the FZ1's pump. Most of the fuel line for EFI vehicles is rated for pressures 2x or 3x what most pumps can put out. The braided stainless stuff is more like 100x.)

Nice tip on replacement of the hose, using the existing fittings. Why not just use worm clamps? Either clamp can cut into the hose if you overtighten it.
Gone, but not forgotten: Shift Red 06 with all the fun free/cheap mods done. Down to just one car, soldering on with a 2001 S8, AKA Ronin-mobile in silver with black leather, could be worse I suppose...
As an Independent Claims Adjuster, I offer free consultations for claims, and insurance questions.

http://www.adjusteridaho.com
Check out my blog.
http://www.adjusteridaho.com/blog.html

greg@adjusteridaho.com
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Get some braided hose, it will not kink easy, or leak easy. (However, it will abrade anything it rubs up against, so it might be wise to use a nylon cover v/s stainless steel.)

I very much doubt that any rated fuel line would not hold the pressure from the FZ1's pump. Most of the fuel line for EFI vehicles is rated for pressures 2x or 3x what most pumps can put out. The braided stainless stuff is more like 100x.)

Nice tip on replacement of the hose, using the existing fittings. Why not just use worm clamps? Either clamp can cut into the hose if you overtighten it.
The efi clamps have a taper at their edges and no sharp points. It's a 'safe than sorry' kind of thing. They're cheap enough.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
orangetruck
Part time lurker

Any road testing yet? My line appears to be kinked as well.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetruck View Post
Any road testing yet? My line appears to be kinked as well.
I've delegated the line to being used the next time I have the tank up.... been riding too much for fiddling.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #15
Adjuster
Retired from the WR.

Yep, I noticed that my fuel line is kinked when I did the airfilter...

If I get under there for a PCIII, I will replace the fuel line at that time.. It does not seem to restrict flow that I've noticed, but I did turn the line to a new angle, and tried to work the kink out of the line, but the hard material used in the stock line seems to develop a memory for the kink in it...
Gone, but not forgotten: Shift Red 06 with all the fun free/cheap mods done. Down to just one car, soldering on with a 2001 S8, AKA Ronin-mobile in silver with black leather, could be worse I suppose...
As an Independent Claims Adjuster, I offer free consultations for claims, and insurance questions.

Check out my blog.

greg@adjusteridaho.com
Old 08-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #16
Vroonie

......maybe a dumb? question, but according to what specifications does a EFI hose have to apply? Been looking for a replacement, but yeah, yeah, yeah, guess what, almost impossible to find in Bali....
Fitch, Lars airbox mod. & Wire Re-Route, K&N filter, 16T front sprocket, Cat gutted, PC-III, FCE, Yoshi TRC slip on, Flies and spindle removed, AIS plugged, O2 sensor disconnected, seat mod. leather, custom rear fender eliminator, R1 rear shock, forks raised 10mm, 13 layer pearl paintjob, Copperdog Race screen & rear seat hugger, Evotech can hanger, Watson Design MicroAlloy signals, frame sliders
Vroonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #17
Vroonie

....EFI fuel hose that is...
Fitch, Lars airbox mod. & Wire Re-Route, K&N filter, 16T front sprocket, Cat gutted, PC-III, FCE, Yoshi TRC slip on, Flies and spindle removed, AIS plugged, O2 sensor disconnected, seat mod. leather, custom rear fender eliminator, R1 rear shock, forks raised 10mm, 13 layer pearl paintjob, Copperdog Race screen & rear seat hugger, Evotech can hanger, Watson Design MicroAlloy signals, frame sliders
Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #18
Vroonie

well, finally I came around to solving my kinked fuel cable, heat resistant epoxy does the trick perfectly and man,....I didn't realize the bike suffered so much from it...
Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #19
Adjuster
Retired from the WR.

Yep, it's next on my list of things to do when I get around to it.....

Check out my blog.

greg@adjusteridaho.com
Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #20
ks_cowboy

Alright guy since none of you have been brave enough to try this I had to man up and do it myself. I haven't done extensive testing yet but my bike runs better than with a kinked line and hasn't burst into flames yet. Getting the fittings in was a bitch but I don't think they are coming out without a knife. I'll keep you updated as I put more miles on the bike.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance