click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 03-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #161
BumpaD_Z28

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Spot View Post
It's not necessary. All it is is a slide cover that prevents accidentaly pressing of the release tabs and both of those release tabs require a good amount of effort to release. I wouldn't worry about it personally.
Well I don't plan on letting it stop me from riding ;) .. BUT I'm more than a little OCD, so if I can find one I'll sleep better at night ...

ALSO ... I'll cover someones postage

~DaVe
BumpaD_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #162
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
It's not necessary. All it is is a slide cover that prevents accidentaly pressing of the release tabs and both of those release tabs require a good amount of effort to release. I wouldn't worry about it personally.
Agreed, mine is broken don't really need it.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #163
jp51mustang
Suspended but can view board

My plan is to do this mod over the weekend. Is there any trick to lifting the tank and disconnecting the line with a full tank of gas?
jp51mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #164
Netdemon01

Your fuel tank won't drain any gas when you disconnect the hose. The only gas that will spill will be from any left over in the hose, so you may at least want a paper towel handy.
Netdemon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #165
jp51mustang

perfect, thank you
Old 03-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #166
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp51mustang View Post
My plan is to do this mod over the weekend. Is there any trick to lifting the tank and disconnecting the line with a full tank of gas?
Just disconnect it. A little bit of gas will dribble out, but if the fuel pump isn't running it won't leak until empty, even on a full tank.

That said, this is NOT the case if you recently ran the bike (had the fuel pump primed/running). In this situation the residual pressure will eject the hose off the fitting and you'll get a nice spritz of gasoline. Want to ask me how I know?

Meaning, just have a rag around the connector if you disconnect the fuel line within a few minutes of having run the bike or had the pump primed (bike in the on position)

http://yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105290

Businesses love a working server, don't trust India, see an IT admin and get rid of it.
Blind Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #167
alexd
Fast Feline

Quote:
Just disconnect it. A little bit of gas will dribble out, but if the fuel pump isn't running it won't leak until empty, even on a full tank.

That said, this is NOT the case if you recently ran the bike (had the fuel pump primed/running). In this situation the residual pressure will eject the hose off the fitting and you'll get a nice spritz of gasoline. Want to ask me how I know?

Meaning, just have a rag around the connector if you disconnect the fuel line within a few minutes of having run the bike or had the pump primed (bike in the on position)
Thanks! I plan to do this next weekend. I bought lengths of both 1/4" and 5/16" and fasteners. The only worry I have before I start if how much wiring I have to move out of the way to get the fuel-rail connector off and on...is this tricky at all?

By the way, to put the connectors back on, do you squeeze them or not?

Alexd
2006 FZ1, 16T, FCE, PCIII, BMC, airbox, cable re-route, AIS plug, Akrapovic with gutted catalytic, Ivan Flies, Ignition Module, Exhaust Servo Eliminator, Ivan Map("E"), Werkes Fender Eliminator, SpeedoHealer, LED license plate bolt/illuminators, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, modified Gen 1 footrests, Gold magnetic oil plug,
replacement fuel line.

2005 Yamaha XT225 (two)
2006 Yamaha XT225
Modified Nissan 9-sec. GT-R (first car I've owned faster/quicker than my bike)
alexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #168
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
Thanks! I plan to do this next weekend. I bought lengths of both 1/4" and 5/16" and fasteners. The only worry I have before I start if how much wiring I have to move out of the way to get the fuel-rail connector off and on...is this tricky at all?

By the way, to put the connectors back on, do you squeeze them or not?

Alexd
As I recall, you squeeze to get them back on as well. Though, I think the locking barb on the fitting has a ramp coming in the 'putting on' direction so you may not have to. You'll know when it's in, tug on it when you're done to be sure.

You don't need to disconnect anything electrical, unless you need the working room. IIRC there are 3x electrical plugs on the bottom of the tank, they all come off way easy.

Businesses love a working server, don't trust India, see an IT admin and get rid of it.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #169
alexd
Fast Feline

Quote:

You don't need to disconnect anything electrical, unless you need the working room. IIRC there are 3x electrical plugs on the bottom of the tank, they all come off way easy.
Thanks, but I don't quite understand this last part. I usually just put an 18" sawed off broomstick between the tank and the top of the handlebars, to swing it up and keep it out of the way...so I'm just thinking about removing the fuel line from the tank.

But, I was mostly worried if my FCE or other items have to be disconnected to get at the OTHER END of the fuel line. I'd rather not dislodge a perfectly engaging electrical contact, if I don't have to.

Alexd
2006 FZ1, 16T, FCE, PCIII, BMC, airbox, cable re-route, AIS plug, Akrapovic with gutted catalytic, Ivan Flies, Ignition Module, Exhaust Servo Eliminator, Ivan Map("E"), Werkes Fender Eliminator, SpeedoHealer, LED license plate bolt/illuminators, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, modified Gen 1 footrests, Gold magnetic oil plug,
replacement fuel line.

2005 Yamaha XT225 (two)
2006 Yamaha XT225
Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #170
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

you can do it with out disconnecting, just there is less room. No need to fiddle with the FCE though.
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #171
Fazer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpaD_Z28 View Post
In the process of doing this mod my tank side connector is missing it's orange "lock" ... anyone have an extra ???

~DaVe
so i tried messing with mine last week and was worried i would break the connector so i just said the heck with it for the time being. that grey box is what you have to squeeze to remove the connector??
im pretty sure that mine is kinked from how everyone is stating their bike runs before the mod.
06 Shift Red, 17/49, PCIII, Ivan's ECU, Yoshimura TRC full system, K and N filter, lars air box mod, AIS removed, cut down flies, cat gutted,"un-kinked" fuel line, EBC clutch springs, frame sliders, swing arm spool sliders, ebay shorty levers
Fazer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #172
alexd
Fast Feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
you can do it with out disconnecting, just there is less room. No need to fiddle with the FCE though.
Thanks!

Alexd
replacement fuel line.

2005 Yamaha XT225 (two)
2006 Yamaha XT225
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #173
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
Thanks, but I don't quite understand this last part. I usually just put an 18" sawed off broomstick between the tank and the top of the handlebars, to swing it up and keep it out of the way...so I'm just thinking about removing the fuel line from the tank.

But, I was mostly worried if my FCE or other items have to be disconnected to get at the OTHER END of the fuel line. I'd rather not dislodge a perfectly engaging electrical contact, if I don't have to.

Alexd
Oh no, the Fuel rail end of the line is pretty much as out in the open as anything could be in that rats nest of cable/hoses.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #174
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer06 View Post
so i tried messing with mine last week and was worried i would break the connector so i just said the heck with it for the time being. that grey box is what you have to squeeze to remove the connector??
im pretty sure that mine is kinked from how everyone is stating their bike runs before the mod.
Two "Grey Boxes." You slide the cover back and then pinch the two releases on either side together. If you look at the line after you get it off you'll understand why.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #175
jp51mustang

Thanks for the help earlier. I did the mod, that 1/4 tube is a very tight fit. My line wasn't kinked , pinched or anything. (From what I could tell). Hopefully it helps the slight buzz around 5,000 rpms.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #176
alexd
Fast Feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp51mustang View Post
Thanks for the help earlier. I did the mod, that 1/4 tube is a very tight fit. My line wasn't kinked , pinched or anything. (From what I could tell). Hopefully it helps the slight buzz around 5,000 rpms.
There're several threads about the "buzz; a mechanical vibration associated with pieces of plastic above the speedometer...cured several ways (mechanically).

Alexd
replacement fuel line.

2005 Yamaha XT225 (two)
2006 Yamaha XT225
Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #177
russperry

I was a loser in the "is your fuel line kinked" raffle

Have the tank off to do the PCIII/flies/AIS/airbox mods and sure enough the fuel line was classic kinked. I can't say if its been this way since I got it but surely thanks are in order to Blind Spot and all the attention paid to the issue.

I went for 5/16th line - didn't want to fight the 1/4" line onto the barbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 074 (640x427).jpg (182.0 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by russperry; 04-05-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: fix typo
russperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #178
Blind Spot
Represent

Careful, your first time out you're likely to loop the bike now with an unkink and the mods.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #179
russperry

Quote:
Careful, your first time out you're likely to loop the bike now with an unkink and the mods.
I've been thinking about that a bit as well. A little caution the first lap is certainly in order - if it doesn't startle me the first few yanks of the throttle I'm gonna be disappointed

Related question: I've got the fuel line back in but can't recall if the black fitting was all the way flush against the manifold or not. Right now I've got about 1/2" of the feed pipe showing. The fitting appears to be on securely but it doesn't look quite right. Should I keep working it or am I OK where it is?

thanks again
russperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #180
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by russperry View Post
I've been thinking about that a bit as well. A little caution the first lap is certainly in order - if it doesn't startle me the first few yanks of the throttle I'm gonna be disappointed

Related question: I've got the fuel line back in but can't recall if the black fitting was all the way flush against the manifold or not. Right now I've got about 1/2" of the feed pipe showing. The fitting appears to be on securely but it doesn't look quite right. Should I keep working it or am I OK where it is?

thanks again
I don't remember, but it should snap/click since the barbs on the fitting push out the lock tabs and then snick into place.

If the hose ejects when pressurized it wasn't on right.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance