click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Ivan
Performance Master

Ivan's ECU program

How much interest is there for this?

I'm not 100% sure what the pricing will be, but it will be a little less than what others are charging.

I'm not done with it yet, but I have control of:
sub-throttles
ignition timing
fuel cut
rev-limit
low gear power limiter eliminated

Although fuel changes are accessible, I am choosing not to mess with the fuel because the power commander is the easiest for everyone... easily adjusted by me or your favorite tuner without any down time.

If there is a fuel problem with the ECU's programming, the ECU will have to be sent back and cause people down time and more expense and most likely frustration and generally pissed off.

BTW, I was wrong about the valve springs in this engine.... I accidentally let it go to 13,200rpm and it's still in one piece...
So the new limit will be 500 rpm over stock... there is still useable power when the fuel and timing are set correctly.

Again, how many of you would spend money on this?

Thanks,

Ivan
Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
sparky80

would this ECU program negate the use of the FCE then?
any before/after dyno spec's as well?

That at the name of Jesus every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Phil. 2:10-11

I don't like texas... missing California!
sparky80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
whittlebeast

Congratulations if you truly have the ECU cracked. I would think that there will be a fairly large market for this. There are so really strange things going on under the covers on these bikes that I have not run into on any other ECU.

Way cool

Andy

Holeshot Highmount quiet, No-Mar Fender Eliminator, SW-MOTECH Bar risers and Crashbars with Saten666 highway pegs, HEL Stainless brake lines, PC5 with full time widebands and data logging running a MAP based custom map tuned with MegaLogViewer HD, T-Rex Frame sliders, 16 - 45 gears, Throttlemeister.
whittlebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

I have no idea what others are charging - I had no idea the FZ1 supported this. So it would depend on the price vs. benefit.

It sounds like it would at least eliminate need for FCE and add benefits of IM. Looking forward to dyno results.
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Hairball
Dazed and confuzed

Would be interested to see results of this and if it's repeatable as I've read many different reports of both great results and bad results from the same vendor. I have no doubt that you would work the bugs out before releasing this.
R-77 Carbon,PC111,ECU flash,Ivans flys,BMC filter,Air Box mod,Roth AIS plates, Mag-Knight Carbon Tank Bra, Clearalternatives taillight, Hyperpro RSC stabilizer,Penski Double Adjustable,07 R1 Forks with AK-20 carts, Rizoma Rearsets,Stealth Rear Sprocket, Spiegler SS brake lines, SW-Motech Crash bars, Dirt road seat,Rizoma conical bars and 42mm risers, Rizoma Reverse Retro Mirrors, speedohealer,16 tooth c/s, jwhelan's radiator guard
Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Ivan
Performance Master

Quote:
would this ECU program negate the use of the FCE then?
any before/after dyno spec's as well?
Yes it would

Quote:
I have no idea what others are charging - I had no idea the FZ1 supported this. So it would depend on the price vs. benefit.

It sounds like it would at least eliminate need for FCE and add benefits of IM. Looking forward to dyno results.
On target here....

Quote:
I have no doubt that you would work the bugs out before releasing this.
Everybody here knows that I would not let something out that I didn't test thoroughly.... I like to sleep at night.

The nice thing here is that anyone who has a PC3/5 will have full map support from me for my ECU program....

If you don't want to remove and send your ECU, you can still do the FCE.... people have different preferences....

The end results are pretty similar except for the low gear power limiter... fuel cut throttle transitions are slightly smoother when done through the ECU... the higher rev limit keeps the power coming a little longer.... it would depend on your budget and what problems with the bike that you want to fix.... also some people don't feel comfortable sending their ECU away.... with me, you will have both options.

If someone likes the bike stock and just wants a bit more midrange, and stop fuel cut's nasty throttle snatch.... then the FCE is still the least expensive fix.

I'll share some dyno charts pretty soon that compare the ECU changes to my current full package ...

I have a lot of testing/fine tuning to do... info to collect, to make sure that people won't have any problems.... I don't like problems.... problems are headaches.

Ivan
Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
Ivan
Performance Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
Congratulations if you truly have the ECU cracked. I would think that there will be a fairly large market for this. There are so really strange things going on under the covers on these bikes that I have not run into on any other ECU.

Way cool

Andy
This is as much internal ECU info as I will share on this subject....

This ECU is very simple (cheap) it does not have very many lookup tables as a lot of other bikes...

Ivan
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
AndyW

.. and these changes would be specific to the other mods on the bike, or generic enough that it wouldn't matter? I have the Yosh R77 full system, for example, with modified airbox, K&N, Graves stacks - and of course PC3, map by a local tuner that does dyno work (amongst other things) for an IOM TT team.

Depending on cost, I am quite interested..
..a

Which would you prefer?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
upinsmoke
What ya gonna do about it

Sounds good

2014 Triumph STR
upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Ivan
Performance Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
.. and these changes would be specific to the other mods on the bike, or generic enough that it wouldn't matter? I have the Yosh R77 full system, for example, with modified airbox, K&N, Graves stacks - and of course PC3, map by a local tuner that does dyno work (amongst other things) for an IOM TT team.

Depending on cost, I am quite interested..
..a
Initial tests seem to show changes to mapping should not have to be made for the things that I changed in the ECU.... timing & sub-throttles and power limiters...

These tests will have to be confirmed 100% by me before I say firmly that no changes to existing map are needed.... Initial tests on the dyno show exhaust gases are still reasonable with my "E" version-map.

Mapping will have to be touched up on the very top end where the rev-limit was extended though.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Of course I'm in if the price is reasonable. I'd like to see the bottom end unleashed.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Ivan
Performance Master

I haven't ridden it yet.... still real cold and the roads aren't safe yet..... coming soon though.

The way it feels is pretty violent when you grab a handful.

Ivan
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
Super Googan

You're kidding right Ivan ?? OF COURSE I'M IN !!!!!

You actually spend the time tuning and testing your products, provide us with
dyno sheets and support here and on the phone. My issue with the other ECU tuners has always been that you get one generic flash and they send you on your way. No real explanation of what exactly has been done. No when, where and why things have been changed. From the user reports here it seems more then half the guys with a flash have not been satisfied.
When it comes to the FZ1, I doubt anyone has spent more time developing, dynoing ,testing and tuning than you.
Super Googan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
Super Googan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
I haven't ridden it yet.... still real cold and the roads aren't safe yet..... coming soon though.

The way it feels is pretty violent when you grab a handful.

Ivan
Violent You mean I can finally have a 1000cc bike that feels like a 1000cc bike The whole timing retard, sub throttle thing from Yamaha made the FZ1 a real disappointment for me at first.

Last edited by Super Googan; 02-24-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Super Googan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
troyw
Krankor Will Rule!

Ivan,

I'd definitely find this quite worthy to keep up with, and indeed, spend some money on. I already have the FCE, PC3 and air box mods though. Would this be a problem? I would actually rather have an ECU doing the job of the FCE, but I guess I'd have to figure on plugging everything back in as stock. I do have a concern with running no flies though, as that servo motor went a bit wonky, and I'm not going to spend money on that to replace it. Could you work with that? I'd be in for sure, yes.

Very cool, Ivan!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
AndyW

.. but if map changes are needed, you say we'll have access to maps from you anyway, so it won't be an "issue" for us.

Cool. Can't wait to find out what this will cost.
..a

Which would you prefer?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
Ivan
Performance Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyw View Post
Ivan,

I'd definitely find this quite worthy to keep up with, and indeed, spend some money on. I already have the FCE, PC3 and air box mods though. Would this be a problem? I would actually rather have an ECU doing the job of the FCE, but I guess I'd have to figure on plugging everything back in as stock. I do have a concern with running no flies though, as that servo motor went a bit wonky, and I'm not going to spend money on that to replace it. Could you work with that? I'd be in for sure, yes.

Very cool, Ivan!

If it runs good with the map that you are using now, it still will..... I'll test no flies anyway to be sure.

Ivan
Old 02-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
Ivan
Performance Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
.. but if map changes are needed, you say we'll have access to maps from you anyway, so it won't be an "issue" for us.

Cool. Can't wait to find out what this will cost.
..a
As you know, my maps show rich with a wideband... if you need adjustment from what I come up with, you can take it to your tuner.... that's the nice thing about the power commander.

Ivan
Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
Ivan
Performance Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Googan View Post
Violet You mean I can finally have a 1000cc bike that feels like a 1000cc bike The whole timing retard, sub throttle thing from Yamaha made the FZ1 a real disappointment for me at first.
It was a disappointment for everyone... especially me.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
stomp347

Very interested.
stomp347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance