register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #61
eurban

Stepped away for a week and look at what is in the works! This is very exiting news!

I will definitely be interested in this service once it is all worked out. For those of us already in possession of the IM and FCE we should be able to recoup at least some of the cost by selling these items. With the new product we will finally get unrestricted power in all gears and hopefully even better performance with the control of the secondary throttle bodies etc.

It seems to me that offering alterations to the fuel curve in the ecu would be a desireable option for at least some of us. There certainly are a large number of FZers out there with Ivan's "full package" setup (Airbox mod, Ivans secondary plates, BMC filter, Yosh R77 full system {presumably no longer needing FCE, and IM}) and would be happy with Ivan's fuel tune right in the ECU. I would probably keep the PCIII (at least for a while) and could leave it zeroed out with the option of fine tuning at a local dyno if desired. Shouldn't be too difficult to make the fuel curve mod at least an option on the reflash with the understanding that some fine tuning might still need to be done.

Ivan, thanks for taking this on! It definitely seems like a wise business move to start dabbling in the ECU waters. I'm sure the GenIII will benefit from your hands if we ever see it!
06 Shift Red,FCE, PCIII, IM, E Map, AIS removed, Airbox Mod, BMC filter, Smaller Flies, Full Yosh R77 Titanium, 16t, Speedo DRD, Penske 8983, 08 R1 forks and front brakes, Speigler brake lines, Easton EXP bars and risers, Copperdawg Speed Screen, Sargent seat, Givi rack and top case . . . . . . .
eurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #62
stomp347

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurban View Post
Stepped away for a week and look at what is in the works! This is very exiting news!

I will definitely be interested in this service once it is all worked out. For those of us already in possession of the IM and FCE we should be able to recoup at least some of the cost by selling these items. With the new product we will finally get unrestricted power in all gears and hopefully even better performance with the control of the secondary throttle bodies etc.

It seems to me that offering alterations to the fuel curve in the ecu would be a desireable option for at least some of us. There certainly are a large number of FZers out there with Ivan's "full package" setup (Airbox mod, Ivans secondary plates, BMC filter, Yosh R77 full system {presumably no longer needing FCE, and IM}) and would be happy with Ivan's fuel tune right in the ECU. I would probably keep the PCIII (at least for a while) and could leave it zeroed out with the option of fine tuning at a local dyno if desired. Shouldn't be too difficult to make the fuel curve mod at least an option on the reflash with the understanding that some fine tuning might still need to be done.

Ivan, thanks for taking this on! It definitely seems like a wise business move to start dabbling in the ECU waters. I'm sure the GenIII will benefit from your hands if we ever see it!
I think I just drooled on my keyboard.......I love the way people think on this site!
stomp347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #63
barryc

I'm glad I have an 06, I'll hopefully be thrashing it at the track early summer with the new ecu, maybe those R1's wont pull away from me so much on the front straight at Road America.

Ivan is the man...
Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #64
FZ1 Gong

Ivan I would be willing to pay more if you would offer the option of fuel mods with this like the other companies I know it will be backed up with proven results from you.
FZ1 Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #65
Phil_RC_1

In!
My FZ1 was stolen July, 21, 2013. If you see a Cobalt blue 09 with all of the following mods, contact me or the authorities. MIVV Carbon GP, Gutted Cat, FP V-Stacks, Air box mod, 16T, PCIII w/Ivans map, Ivan's Flies, AEM A/F monitor, Blindspots fuel line mod. Soupy's lowering link, Speedohealer, AIS blockoff, ZG SR windscreen, 12volt power port, cig lighter, Top speed recall button, FZ6 handlebars, Plate Brake light, Reflective wheel stripes. PICTURE LINK
Phil_RC_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #66
JohnnyLfromCT
MILF bait

I.AM.IN.

My '08 is still friggin' stock for Christ's sake...

I'll drop her off and you can use her as as your stock baseline tester!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #67
Hairball
Dazed and confuzed

Would the IM still be worthwhile with the reflash or does it become redundant.
R-77 Carbon,PC111,ECU flash,Ivans flys,BMC filter,Air Box mod,Roth AIS plates, Mag-Knight Carbon Tank Bra, Clearalternatives taillight, Hyperpro RSC stabilizer,Penski Double Adjustable,07 R1 Forks with AK-20 carts, Rizoma Rearsets,Stealth Rear Sprocket, Spiegler SS brake lines, SW-Motech Crash bars, Dirt road seat,Rizoma conical bars and 42mm risers, Rizoma Reverse Retro Mirrors, speedohealer,16 tooth c/s, jwhelan's radiator guard
Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #68
Blue Meanie

Ivan, your last post has me thinking about paying even more!! Just think...... having a little higher rev ceiling and a better bottom end with no restrictions has me also slobbering on my keyboard!!!
My 2009 usually picks up the front end just past 5500rpm with no clutch and just a whack at the throttle so to get it to lift 1000rpm lower would be fun!!!
I would also love to know does it feel any better at the 3000rpm to 4000rpm mark as we all know she is really weak there. I ride in the city a bit and coming around a tight corner right at 3000 and she just feels flat and almost like a bid fat 250. Just curious, I can’t expect everything gets fixed by this ECU re-do.
Can’t wait feel like a kid at x-mas, am I going to get a bb gun or socks again???
Blue Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #69
cohl

Am I the only one that thinks an Ivan tune ECU should be called an ICU?
cohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #70
2stangs6991

Will it eliminate the need for the Ign module to get the fuel millage back? sounds like it. Plus turn around time is a factor also. After I sell a bike I am planning on getting your combo set up anyhow.
2stangs6991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #71
Ivan
Performance Master

I'll have some dyno charts some time next week....

I was not 100% correct about the sub-throttles only 90% open max...
(I was looking at only one of the tables)

There are a few sub throttle tables in there.... they open 100% in the upper gears, like my first dyno tests showed back in 2006.

There are more restrictions in there besides the sub throttles... the timing is held back as well in the lower gears... combine this with the subs and you get some of the picture. This is all old news anyway... Well documented from the beginning.

Again, I am very much against fuel adjustments without a pc3 or pc5 at this time.... too many different mods, and if it's not to your liking.... a big pain in the ass, and shipping expenses that you will incur and downtime too.

At some point I will try to graft one of my maps into it and see what happens.... I'm not up to that point yet. Still a lot of other stuff to test and prove out.

Most of you have a PC3/5 anyway.... this is what I believe is best for everyone.

Ivan
Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #72
stretched06

Again, I am very much against fuel adjustments without a pc3 or pc5 at this time.... too many different mods, and if it's not to your liking.... a big pain in the ass, and shipping expenses that you will incur and downtime too.

At some point I will try to graft one of my maps into it and see what happens.... I'm not up to that point yet. Still a lot of other stuff to test and prove out.

Most of you have a PC3/5 anyway.... this is what I believe is best for everyone.

Ivan [/quote]

When its all ironed out will you do fuel adj. if you can put the bike on your dyno for the tune?
custom paint, C.D. strike, dehandled tail, 10"Holeshot exaust, cat gutted, air box mod, Dobeck programmer, smog block offs, 16/48sprockets, m&r front strap, lowered 1.25in. front, 3in rear, stretched 6 inches, frame sliders, frame plugs, flush mount front blinkers, Clear Alternatives integrated tail light, Speedohealer, no flies, all silver parts changed to flat black, FDB shorty levers, fender eliminater, short throw shift, DanMoto 3d clip-ons, tuned by Ryan Schnitz.(sold)
stretched06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #73
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post

I was not 100% correct about the sub-throttles only 90% open max...
(I was looking at only one of the tables)

There are a few sub throttle tables in there.... they open 100% in the upper gears, like my first dyno tests showed back in 2006.

There are more restrictions in there besides the sub throttles... the timing is held back as well in the lower gears... combine this with the subs and you get some of the picture. This is all old news anyway... Well documented from the beginning.

Ivan
I agree 100% with you Ivan. I still want to play with the fueling after the re-flash.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #74
duts87ss
I ride slow.

Ivan,
I absolutely understand your concern about doing fuel mods is most cases. There will be a lot of work involved; I've got many hours of driving my car around getting data logs and making adjustments (and I still don't feel like it's quite close enough to put on the dyno for fine tuning). Once you do a full tune for your fully modded bike, though, this new tune should apply equally (I personally think better) well as your E-map.

I would definitely recommend looking into making acceleration enrichment/pump shot adjustments for the first run of mail order tunes, though. It will help clean up throttle transitions (I'm sure you know this already, I'm just thinking out loud so to speak).

I don't care for the method of modifying the fuel by PC III/IV because it makes changes at a given TP and given RPM. An engine at half throttle and 5000rpm will need different fueling and timing going up hill as opposed to down hill. Load-based mapping is a much better method. As much as I don't like it, the PC is the only method we having for making changes at the moment.
'07 Raven - |'N Conversion|BMC|AB Mod|Graves Stacks|Ivan's Flies|Harness relocated|PCIII&Ivan's ECU Flash|Full Yosh TRC|AIS removed|Graves servo Eliminator|'04 R1 Forks w/ Traxxion AK-20|Penske 8983|Spiegler Brake Lines|Gilles Rearsets|16/46 520 Conversion|MotionPro Revolver Throttle|Brembo RCS 19 Braker Master Cyl|
duts87ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #75
SoCalFZRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post

Ivan
Any consideration of correcting the fueling vs temperature when the ECU is open loop/O2 sensor disconnected, or is that buried too deep in the fuel table algorithms?
SoCalFZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #76
KBay84

I have a '10 that is bone stock. My last ride was a '97 Bandit 1200S with a slip-on and carb kit, that bike had tremendous bottom end, my FZ1 can't match it. If the ECU reflash will cure the FZ1's bottom & mid range woes, I'm in.

“Try to fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not prove they are a citizen.”

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum
KBay84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #77
duts87ss
I ride slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBay84 View Post
I have a '10 that is bone stock. My last ride was a '97 Bandit 1200S with a slip-on and carb kit, that bike had tremendous bottom end, my FZ1 can't match it. If the ECU reflash will cure the FZ1's bottom & mid range woes, I'm in.
Regardless of tune, the FZ1 will never have bottom end like a bandit; it's a completely different animal.
'07 Raven - |'N Conversion|BMC|AB Mod|Graves Stacks|Ivan's Flies|Harness relocated|PCIII&Ivan's ECU Flash|Full Yosh TRC|AIS removed|Graves servo Eliminator|'04 R1 Forks w/ Traxxion AK-20|Penske 8983|Spiegler Brake Lines|Gilles Rearsets|16/46 520 Conversion|MotionPro Revolver Throttle|Brembo RCS 19 Braker Master Cyl|
duts87ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #78
KBay84

Quote:
Originally Posted by duts87ss View Post
Regardless of tune, the FZ1 will never have bottom end like a bandit; it's a completely different animal.
Well, I was hoping a 2010 FZ1 with EFI & reflash versus '97 bike with carbs and a slip-on would produce better results. I'll wait for Ivan's responce, but you may be right. I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. If the bottom end and mids are significantly better, I'd be in.

“Try to fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not prove they are a citizen.”

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum
KBay84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #79
upinsmoke
What ya gonna do about it

^ It won't be a bandit down low, just like the bandit will never be a FZ/R1 up top.

2014 Triumph STR
upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:18 AM   #80
need4speed428

I'm in!

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance