register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 07-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
Bikejunky22

Edu flash or dyno tune?

I have a shop local to me that can dyno tune bikes. He quoted me $300 to tune my fz1 as I already have a power commander. What I'm wondering is would that be a good route or would it be better to do an ecu flash like ivans or vcyclenut? I want to get rid of the fuel cut for sure as it's so annoying
Bikejunky22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
barryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikejunky22 View Post
I have a shop local to me that can dyno tune bikes. He quoted me $300 to tune my fz1 as I already have a power commander. What I'm wondering is would that be a good route or would it be better to do an ecu flash like ivans or vcyclenut? I want to get rid of the fuel cut for sure as it's so annoying

I would get the ecu flashed to remove the fuel cut and the restrictions in the first 3 gears, also to make the fans come on sooner, around 190. You cant tune these problems out of the ecu. Since you have a PC you have the luxury of then having a map built specifically for your bike. It doesn't get any better than that.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
Bikejunky22

I just wasn't sure which would be the better option. I mean dyno tuning is specific to my bike and conditions. But the flash can eliminate other things
Old 07-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
barryc

you are right, the flash makes the bike run like it should have from the factory. No fuel cut is the big one, I think the other tuner does that and more for like 80 bucks. Then you get the dyno. No tune can eliminate the fuel cut, only a flash can do that.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
Bikejunky22

Which flash is better? Vcyclenut or ivan?
Old 07-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
barryc

vcyclenut is less expensive. That said I used Ivan. Perhaps you should call them both and decide for your self. They both will get the job done.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
fermic37

If you already have the pc you might as well go with Ivan.

That being said I have vcyclenut and couldn't be happier.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
dschult2

If you plan on getting it dynotuned go with vcyclenut. If not, go with ivan.
dschult2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Bikejunky22

Can both get rid of the fuel cut and 1-3 minutes? Why ivan if I don't dyno?
Old 07-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Can both get rid of the fuel cut and 1-3 minutes? Why ivan if I don't dyno?
Because Ivan's map is already ideal for most bikes if you follow his recommendations and setup. He's done the dyno work according to his setup. If you use vcycle, its not adjusting as many parameters, and the money you save buy using vcycle can be used for dyno time. (this surmised from what I've read)

That seems like some expensive dyno time though.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #11
dschult2

They'll both get rid of the restrictions and then its a matter of where and how you want your fuel map. You can get a fairly custom map from Ivan based on your mods. You can get a very custom map from a dyno. You can get a map flashed directly on you ecu from vcyclenut but since you already have a pc that would not be an efficient way to go as any changes would require a reflash. So to maks a long story short you would either be paying Ivan or a dyno shop to make your fueling changes.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:03 AM   #12
ballmead
I like em Naked

As you already have a PC I'd go with Ivan's ECU flash.

His flash combined with his PC map equals mega smooth power.
2010 FZ1N - Mivv Speed Edge with Arrow headers - Ivan's ECU flash - PCV - Modded Airbox with DNA air filter - 49T rear sprocket - 2008 R1 Forks and brakes - Penske 8983 rear shock - LighTech rear sets
ballmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #13
Bikejunky22

I'm thinking ivans. How do I remove the way? From what I'm reading remove the tank, air box and then it's there. Do I have to pull the tank completely? Won't the gas inside leak out once I disconnect the lines?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #14
ballmead
I like em Naked

You don't need to completely remove the petrol tank, just prop it up. I can't remember if I removed the air box or not to get it out but it should become apparent once you prop the tank up.
2010 FZ1N - Mivv Speed Edge with Arrow headers - Ivan's ECU flash - PCV - Modded Airbox with DNA air filter - 49T rear sprocket - 2008 R1 Forks and brakes - Penske 8983 rear shock - LighTech rear sets
ballmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:39 AM   #15
Nico

Prop tank, you don't have to disconnect fuel. The fuel line is long enough, just exercise care when lifting the tank and bringing it back down not to pinch line. The air box has to be removed completely... easy peasy!
Old 07-09-2017, 05:48 AM   #16
Bikejunky22

Ok thanks guys. Also wondering I've seen something about am air pump block off plates he offers which can gain an extra hp or 2? Where is this pump and how do I know if I have it blocked off already or not. Because from what I've been told my exhaust if just a coffman slip on with the original headers but there is definitely no cat in this bike. I pulled the shorty off and shined a flash light down in there and definirely dont see any resembalence of a cat and then it splits to the 4 single pipes. So if someone gutted the cat I'm wondering what else they've done. It has a pcv on there but Idk what map or if there ieven is a map on there. But I'm not sure what else someone could have done to this bike. For all I know they have already flashed the ecu? Idk. I don't have another fz1 to compare to but it seems like sometimes it "fuel cuts" but others not so much? So Idk
Old 07-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #17
Bikejunky22

i just went to go see where the ecu is and how easy it would be to get and i removed my air box cover then took the filter off and noticed it was right below the filter. I could see it clear as day, well come to find out thats what the airbox mod is correct? I looked it up and my airbox doesnt look anything like the OE looks just like the cut ones. I really wish i knew what all was done to this bike. How do i know it hasnt already been flashed?
Old 07-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #18
dschult2

Vcyclenut will sign his ECU's that he reflashes and I think that Ivan will put on a sticker. If there is nothing on the ECU is has most likely not been reflashed.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #19
Big_Dave
Gratefully Deadicated

Quote:
Which flash is better? Vcyclenut or ivan?
Geez is that a loaded question or what?
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #20
Bikejunky22

I have no idea which way to go. Ivan or vcycle..... obviously vcycle is cheaper and can still do the fuel cut removal as well as 1-3 limiter removal. But ivans seems like a better option for someone with a power commander which I have. Is it really worth an extra 150 though?

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance