register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 08-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #1
giddyup

Flash ECU-Convince me!

So I was considering sending the ECU to be flashed and it got me to thinking...always a scary thing.
By the time I pay for the flash and shipping I am in the $400-$450usd ballpark.
I found an company in Canada that sells the flash units and it would cost me $445usd.

https://www.baysideperformance.ca/10...4sg81scdaq8c62

So...should I send the unit away and wait or buy my own flash unit?
If I buy it and flash at least one more ECU I have started to make a profit.
Interested to hear your thought and opinions.
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
fermic37

Are you looking at ivan or Vcyclenut?

Vcycles is only $200usd, and I am more than pleased with the results. Without any prior flashing knowledge or dyno to test your results, I think spending the $445 for the tool would be not be wise.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
giddyup

It is $200 here as well with slip on only.
https://ftecu.com/shop/10-14-yamaha-...shing-service/
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
fermic37

my buddy bought their "custom" flash and he likes it for his gsx1000
Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 AM   #5
kjm

Go with Ivan. I've mailed stuff back and forth with him from Canada several times, in my opinion he is the best and the little bit of extra shipping costs is worth it. When I bring my gen 2 home in a couple weeks i'll be sending the ecu out to him.
kjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
fermic37

depends on how much the OP wants to spend, flash tune and vcycle do not require a power commander, saving $200-400 depending on what PC you get.

Contact Ivan, vcycle, and flashtune. Feel them out. That's what I ended up doing.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
Duken4evr
Map Maven

A good flash is well worth it, removing the power restriction in the 1st three gears, optimizes the ignition timing, smooths it out a ton and really makes the engine fun to flog. Every time I take my bike out, it sees 10,000 rpm. It just begs for it now, and I am weak that way

I have Ivans on mine, very pleased with it.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

It completely transforms the bike into a new machine, better in every way. That'd be well worth it to me for a few hundred bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post
Go with Ivan. I've mailed stuff back and forth with him from Canada several times, in my opinion he is the best and the little bit of extra shipping costs is worth it. When I bring my gen 2 home in a couple weeks i'll be sending the ecu out to him.

Onto the Gen2 now eh?!
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
kjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
It completely transforms the bike into a new machine, better in every way. That'd be well worth it to me for a few hundred bucks.

Onto the Gen2 now eh?!
Yep, but keeping the 09 as well as a toy which also has Ivan's flash to keep things relevant..
kjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
_Will_

Got my 06 done, somehow the engine is smoother, easier to modulate, has more power, and returns better mileage by 2-3mpg. That was through Ivan; never rode any bike with a different flash so can't comment on them.
_Will_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
I have an '06 Ivans flashed and an '09 which is stock except for slip on and airbox mod............

Night and day difference. The '06 is so much easier to ride its ridiculous. In a corner no lurch, out of corner it rockets correctly. I cannot say the gas mileage is any better as I hammer it so much harder on the '09. I have no knowledge of v cycle........... hear good reviews. I will say that Ivan developed it and yes it does use a PC. I think he deserves the knod for putting in the work and giving me flawless fueling.

YMMV

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #12
dschult2

Well I think the general consensus is to get the flash done and I could not agree more as I went through Vcyclenut and could not be happier. But to answer your original question about doing it yourself for me that is something I would not care to deal with just to potentially make a couple bucks and avoid a few days of downtime. I would rather leave it to the experts who have the experience and know how and also have access to info and maps from countless dyno runs on similiar modded machines. So I would send it out. I don't think you can go wrong with either Vcyclenut or Ivan. If you do decide to go about it on your own please post back with results as I would be very curious to hear how it went.
dschult2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschult2 View Post
Well I think the general consensus is to get the flash done and I could not agree more as I went through Vcyclenut and could not be happier. But to answer your original question about doing it yourself for me that is something I would not care to deal with just to potentially make a couple bucks and avoid a few days of downtime. I would rather leave it to the experts who have the experience and know how and also have access to info and maps from countless dyno runs on similiar modded machines. So I would send it out. I don't think you can go wrong with either Vcyclenut or Ivan. If you do decide to go about it on your own please post back with results as I would be very curious to hear how it went.
Yeah, what dat guy said too.........

Old 08-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #14
Waculjr903
Twisted One

I am fixin' to send mine to Ivan's. From receiving to out the door, how long did that take? Couple of days? Has anyone also sent thier power programmer V with it to get it set too? Going to go for a ride this weekend, then ship this shit off... lol! Will return as badass shit!
Waculjr903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:42 PM   #15
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waculjr903 View Post
I am fixin' to send mine to Ivan's. From receiving to out the door, how long did that take? Couple of days? Has anyone also sent thier power programmer V with it to get it set too? Going to go for a ride this weekend, then ship this shit off... lol! Will return as badass shit!
About that.........

There are also maps available here for the PC5 although I havent wanted to screw with it. Again, night and day difference. I have got to get my '09 sorted so I ride it more.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:06 AM   #16
stomp347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waculjr903 View Post
Just send the ECU. He gives you a map to use if you like.
stomp347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #17
Big_Dave
Gratefully Deadicated

Willing to bet most people couldnt tell the difference between a vcycle and an ivan flash. If you care about customer service and saving hundreds, do yourself a favor...send it off to David aka: Vcyclenut.
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:21 AM   #18
fermic37

Im really regretting not convincing my roommate to get the ivans so I could physically compare the two and give a good assumption. As far as I can tell no one on here has ridden two bikes with the exact same mods except for different flashes to give an accurate review.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #19
LDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
Im really regretting not convincing my roommate to get the ivans so I could physically compare the two and give a good assumption. As far as I can tell no one on here has ridden two bikes with the exact same mods except for different flashes to give an accurate review.
I have rode both flashs in the same configuration on my 2015. I had the the vc flash first and posted up that I still felt the on off transition was rough, putting the tps to 20 helped but did not eliminate it . I got a Ivan's flash ecu on here and even running a zero map on the pcfc it was smoother running and the on off transition is nearly seamless. I am sure the vc flash could be made better with a little cleanup of the fueling or even better maybe no fueling changes and let the pcfc handle it. I did appreciate the speedo calibration and the all inclusive nature and value of the vc flash. Just two different ways of trying to get to the same spot. I am now running some of the map pack maps with the Ivan's ecu and am happy with it. Never tried any Ivan's maps as I don't have access to them.
LDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #20
NakednNuts

So you are saying that IT IS possible to have the same ECU reflashed by Ivan after it has already been reflashed by vcyclenut?
NakednNuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance