click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 03-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #41
giddyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
all of the above.

but Mainly the airbox mod and fuel line mod
I have a yosh slip on now.
Worth gutting the cat?

Past Rides: Kawasaki KX80, Honda CB350, CAN-AM 125 Qualifier, CAN-AM 250MX, CAN-AM 500MX, 1990 Kawasaki ZX6, 2001/2003 KLR 650, 2006 Yamaha FZ1
Current Rides: 2012 Yamaha FZ1/2014 KTM 690 Enduro
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #42
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
all of the above.

but Mainly the airbox mod and fuel line mod

I would do Ivan's airbox mod. Lars' is quite loud. You can always cut more later.

Last edited by okrider; 03-10-2018 at 01:40 PM.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #43
fermic37

i would gut the cat.. yes the lars mod is loud, even louder with vstacks.. but POWER
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #44
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

While the ECU is out with Ivan, I would take the down time to do the AIS block off.

I wouldn't bother with airbox mod, or velocity stacks.

I would then get it on a dyno and get a tune that suits your bike.

That's just my $0.02.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #45
bplaxton

do the airbox, fuel line, AIS block. I haven't tried the velocity stacks so can't comment. Definitely gut the cat too. These are all simple/cheap mods that make a real difference.
2006 shift red, TBR slip-on, cat gutted, modded flies, lars airbox, Ivan's ECU flash and map, DJ PCIII, AIS block, Blind Spot's fuel line, EXUP eliminator, speedohealer, ventura tail rack, HID conversion, throttlemeister bar ends, yamaha gel seat, Watsen Design signals, Satan666 adaptor & R1 shock, Fen Tubo SS lines.
bplaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #46
okrider

I've been debating gutting the cat on my bike. This thread pushed me over the edge. I'm murdering that sombich this weekend
Old 03-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #47
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I have rode both flashs in the same configuration on my 2015. I had the the vc flash first and posted up that I still felt the on off transition was rough, putting the tps to 20 helped but did not eliminate it . I got a Ivan's flash ecu on here and even running a zero map on the pcfc it was smoother running and the on off transition is nearly seamless. I am sure the vc flash could be made better with a little cleanup of the fueling or even better maybe no fueling changes and let the pcfc handle it. I did appreciate the speedo calibration and the all inclusive nature and value of the vc flash. Just two different ways of trying to get to the same spot. I am now running some of the map pack maps with the Ivan's ecu and am happy with it. Never tried any Ivan's maps as I don't have access to them.
Send Ivan a PM and he will email his map to you.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #48
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
CAT out baby, like a sock stuck in your exhaust. Let it breath. **** the epa. Headers are better but close with stock cat delete.
More air in (airbox mod) more fuel (Ivan) more exhaust out (cat delete, slip on) It all adds up, smoother throttling, smoother power and MORE OF IT! Did I mention **** the epa?

2008 Ducati Hyper
2012 Aprilia V4 Tuono

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #49
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
I've been debating gutting the cat on my bike. This thread pushed me over the edge. I'm murdering that sombich this weekend
Hehehe.........like you already.........Pro Tip, be careful of O2 sensor just ahead of that sombitch.

2008 Ducati Hyper
2012 Aprilia V4 Tuono

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #50
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Hehehe.........like you already.........Pro Tip, be careful of O2 sensor just ahead of that sombitch.
Good tip. Thanks WileE!
Old 03-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #51
Dicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Unscrew it, unplug it and chuck it in the parts bin. With the flash and a PCV you don't need it. Then get a bolt and plug the hole.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Old 03-14-2018, 04:50 AM   #52
old sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
Unscrew it, unplug it and chuck it in the parts bin. With the flash and a PCV you don't need it. Then get a bolt and plug the hole.
If he goes with the PCFC per Ivan's recommendation, he can still use the O2 sensor...
old sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #53
Dicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by old sparks View Post
If he goes with the PCFC per Ivan's recommendation, he can still use the O2 sensor...
Then unscrew it while you remove the cat.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #54
larry1911

Just curious: with the VCycle flash, is it worth removing the AIS and EXUP, since he can disable them in the ECU? Just thinking it might be simpler to restore the bike to stock (should I want to, someday) if all the changes were in software.

Larry
larry1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #55
fermic37

Well you would have to send the ecu back to him to have the stuff turned back on. Just remove it. exup removed makes a nice cubby hole, ais removed makes sparkplug changes much easier.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #56
giddyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry1911 View Post
Just curious: with the VCycle flash, is it worth removing the AIS and EXUP, since he can disable them in the ECU? Just thinking it might be simpler to restore the bike to stock (should I want to, someday) if all the changes were in software.

Larry
If you want to return to stock easy then just block the AIS instead of removing. Same effect.

Past Rides: Kawasaki KX80, Honda CB350, CAN-AM 125 Qualifier, CAN-AM 250MX, CAN-AM 500MX, 1990 Kawasaki ZX6, 2001/2003 KLR 650, 2006 Yamaha FZ1
Current Rides: 2012 Yamaha FZ1/2014 KTM 690 Enduro
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #57
Duken4evr
Map Maven

For what it is worth, having the ECU flashed on my '14 Super Tenere yielded really nice results. It seems the Japanese bikes especially are all compromised by their ECU settings to some degree.

In my S10's case, engine braking was greatly reduced, fuel cut eliminated, ignition timing optimized for power and response, and the throttle response was livened up at small throttle openings. The latter is more of a "trick" as the bike has a bit more power perhaps, but feels livelier in ordinary riding at the throttle is more responsive, like adding a quicker turn throttle tube. The bike shifts a lot better now without the heavy engine braking and fuel cut. Snick city now, very nice! This with a budget ($225) VCycle type flash from an ADV forum member that a lot of people used. My S10 also was getting 48 mpg, now I am averaging 54 mpg on open road riding, I attribute that to the ignition timing tweaks. That bike has loads of low end and 5K is really spinning it, so it spends a lot of time on cruise control I am very pleased with the flash on my S10.

My '06 FZ1 was more dramatically improved by Ivan's flash. My '06 had seriously F'd up ECU calibrations, the fuel cut was horrible (had an FCE on it, no longer needed with the flash) and it buzzed like a chain saw compared to the glassy smooth rev happy turbine it is now. To be honest, I am also running Ivan's map. Tried the flash with a few from the map pack, it ran great, but was not quite as vibrationless as it is with Ivan's map settings. Fuel economy is seemingly the same either way, maybe a little worse now, as it is so fun to flog

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #58
Cougar
Nerd Herder

I am also running Ivan's map but I tweaked it (leaned it) in the few cells where I spend 98% of my time cruising and I'm getting a little better fuel mileage now. The ECU flash completely transformed the bike.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Old 04-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #59
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Jim, I thought you sold your FZ1?
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #60
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
Jim, I thought you sold your FZ1?
Nope, I still have it. They are worth so little that I kept it as a back up. I may sell the KTM though.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance