register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 05-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Waculjr903
Twisted One

In need of help...

I just got done last weekend using the Morgan carbtune ll. Today i was checking header temps with the lazer thermometer and on the strait up n down area they were 328/331/437/389. Then i thought to take my measurements right next to the exhaust flange on the header pipe. Now they were so close i was happy with what I was seeing there. Am I correct in my measurements at the header flange? Or do I still have a lean issue on #3 still, from the lower headerpipe reading just after the initial turndown of the header? P.S. this is my first TB sync. So for the experienced ones, am I good to go ride? Or do I have a lean issue with #3? I checked the boot clamps on the base of the TB and all were good and tight. Let me know what u think peeps, please...
Gotta ride! Gotta go.... Gotta go ride.... says my brain as I salivate for that exhaust sound and getting my arms streatched out hitting the throttle... lol!

Last edited by Waculjr903; 05-05-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Waculjr903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Waculjr903
Twisted One

48 views so far... no one can give me a answer? Sure would like to know, so I can either fix it, or go ride... The only thing I can think of is try a different injector on #3. I did buy a TB complete assembly for a 2007 FZ1 that I could rob one off of if thats what it may be...
Old 05-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

I would not pass up a good sunny Sunday ride. My only experience has been looking for cold jugs and not the precise EGT. The pipe color might tell you something about any lean condition after a good test ride.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

I have no experience in this area but here goes. Prior to doing the Morgan sync, did you measure the temps in the same places? If the temps were fine presync that would suggest the sync was not perfect.
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #5
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

I'll chime in because you seem interested in feedback, but I know little about the actual science behind syncs other than that they smooth out performance.

That said, unless this laser method is actually some sort of proven technique, I'd venture to say that you could not accurately select comparable locations on 4 separate pipes to really know what is going on.

I've only ever synced FI bikes, so I have no idea what is really going on with leaning, richening, etc. Seems like you are going a little overboard. On the FI Yamaha I've synced, there is a white screw that I think is supposed to be the lowest vac, and the rest you just balance to that, so as to have a smooth running engine.

I'm curious to know if there's a better answer than this one. I still think choosing four random spots on four separate pipes, even if in similar locstions) is going to result in finding different temps, even on a perfectly running bike.
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

If this is a genII (just read throttle bodies") I think the sync is even more idiot proof. But I'm definitely a layperson. Take that advice for what it costed you. ;)
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #7
Desmo
Mein Führer!

I don’t think this test and it’s results reveal anything significant for your situation.

Fwiw. I have used an IR gun to determine which cylinder of the four on my 900RR wasn’t operating properly. The bike was clearly displaying carburation issues when I rode it. So to narrow it down I used the IR gun. A quick comparison with the gun revealed one of the cylinders was running a waaaay different temp than the other three.

IMO if youre not experiencing any noticeable issues while riding I am not sure there’s much to worrry about.

My .02
Old 05-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

If your headers are clean and shiny the very low emissivity of the surface will cause inaccurate readings on the pyrometer (IR gun). Shiny surfaces will act more as reflective mirrors than good emitters of infrared energy, so you may be meauring adjacent tubes or other external heat sources. If your headers are dull, somewhat non-shiny, then you may get a decently accurate temp measurement. Also, it is good to know the spot to distance ratio of the pyrometer. Most of the inexpensive ones are either 10:1 or 12:1, meaning at 12" distance the spot diameter is 1" for the 12:1. So at 12" you're measuring that 1" diameter spot, not just the little laser spot.

Flat black objects tend to have very good emissivity, usually above .90, with 1.0 being a perfect blackbody emitter.

Your relative measurements should be taken at the same distance down the tube from the flange and at the same distance between tubes and sensor. That said, if the bike seems to be running smoothly and the Morgan indicates they are in sync, I would
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
Waculjr903
Twisted One

I do really appreciate everyones input. I just wondered if this was something to tackle in a different way, or if it is safe to flog the shit out of it... That being said, I will just swap in the new TPS . I got one of the newer ones 2D 8858-00 because it jumps from 1800 rpm to 2200 barely moving the throttle back n forth. After that I’m going for a burn! Thanks peeps!
Old 05-09-2018, 04:31 AM   #10
Waculjr903
Twisted One

Also, just to let you know what started this all was #3 was running 100* more than the rest. Thats what started this all. I do quite a bit of reading different posts on the Gen ll for knowledge in case of having similar issue. Yeah, would have been a simple task, I had it dialed in with the motion pro tool, then checked it with a gauge to see if it was at 22.5cm on the #3. It wasnt so I adjusted #3 to spec and attempted to dial in the rest to it like a dumb ass... Then I read a post on the 998 forum and FZ1 in Texas from Austin, Tx said he done exactly what I did. He talked with Ivan and his instructions were: 1) turn all four brass screws in to full depth 2) back them all out precisly 2 full turns each 3) start the bike let it warm up and using the center screw visible from the center between #2/#3 thats verticle, adjust #’s 2/3 4) finish dialing #1 to #2, and #4 to #3. Now that was quick and easy and how mine is adjusted with the Morgan Carb Tool.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance