click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 09-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #41
BSR-1
Performance Master Joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnd111
Not true. When my bars go to none showing and i fill up it never holds more than 3.7 gal. Remember our tank is only 4.7 total on Gen 2's so that is 1.0 for the reserve which is about average...
I just saw a similar thread on another forum (R1) & the guy insisted that he was filling it. after having the fuel pump/sending unit replaced under warranty & getting no change he finally listened to advice & filled it to the neck. problem solved.

my R1 leaves less than a gallon in the tank when the light comes on.

so I was thinking he may be having the same problem???
Old 09-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #42
gnd111

Maybe but things don't always act the same. I know for sure i fill mine til i can touch the gas with my finger so it is full when i do it. I do believe that the FZ1 sending unit reads a little lower than the level in the tank actually is...

USN Retired
IYAOYAS

gnd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #43
MARK BYRD
crash dummy

Guys I checked my speedo and its dead on at 60 70 and 80. I checked my mileage and I'm getting 40 42. Last tank 149.7 miles light came started blinking and put 3.6 gals to the top of the tank. 41.58 miles per gallon Just wanted to share some info with you guys.
MARK BYRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:11 PM   #44
stan_lemieux

I understand fuel consumption efficiency is very much dependent on HOW you ride and WHERE you ride. If you're hitting the cities and keeping it in the lower gears moving through traffic I reckon you'll be expecting some shitty FC.

Heres a thought though... Does the run-in/break-in process make a huge impact on FC? Could an improperly ran-in engine be less efficient thereby consuming more?
stan_lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:58 AM   #45
MARK BYRD
crash dummy

Custom tune by a great tune make a big difference. My bike was get 35 at best I also have all the bolt on mod you can buy and 3 up gearing. If I run at 80 mph on the hwy it will get 40mpg. And better at 70 to 60mph
MARK BYRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #46
leo67

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
120-125 riding the way I like to.

Maybe because you don't have all the mods your supposed to have and are running Ivans map. I'm sure it is running rich as hell.

I have his latest slip-on map that gina e-mailed me according to them it's pretty much a stock map and i went through the specs modded box, pipe, etc.
my leo vince CF should be here this week, I'll see what happens after the install
leo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #47
leo67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1
my guess is that you're not filling the tank when you refill.
let me guess; you put the nozzle in & when it clicks off it's full?
i fill right to where it's supposed to be,, no clicks, I pull the sleeve back to get a visual
Old 09-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #48
leo67

Quote:
uno mas,

are you filling it to the filler neck plate?

cause if you're only getting 3.5 gallons in with each fill that's leaving a lot of gas still in the tank or it's not being filled.
yes right to the plate, with me sitting on the bike, not leaned to one side
Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #49
BSR-1
Performance Master Joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo67
yes right to the plate, with me sitting on the bike, not leaned to one side
thanks for the reply.
I had just read a thread on another forum where that was the problem.

so maybe you've got a heavy throttle hand???
Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #50
Itaride
Hungry for the END

I noticed that if you remove the fairing, put on a pipe, gear it down install dirtbike handlebars and ride it like a 1000cc dirtbike mileage drops considerably, any clues?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #51
leo67

Quote:
thanks for the reply.
I had just read a thread on another forum where that was the problem.

so maybe you've got a heavy throttle hand???
possibly,,guess i have to learn to back off on the throttle once in a while,, anyway the can will be here on fri will install that day and hopefully I'll get improved readings sat. do you think a better flowing filter will have some benefit w/o doing the airbox mod
Old 09-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #52
BSR-1
Performance Master Joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo67
possibly,,guess i have to learn to back off on the throttle once in a while,, anyway the can will be here on fri will install that day and hopefully I'll get improved readings sat. do you think a better flowing filter will have some benefit w/o doing the airbox mod
I was just kidding about your hand!
I don't have first hand experience with this bike but on the R1 with the same motor, the stock filter works best. so I don't think an after market filter will do any good unless your going to modify the box & even then it depends on what mods you'll be doing.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #53
Bing44

I got here looking for wtf an FCE is and saw the mileage thread. FWIW, I got 196.9 miles on a tank and when I filled it it took 4.73 gallons. Not bad considering it holds 4.76! lol I took an 800 mi trip last week and avged around 40 mpg. We didn't twist the grip off and kept our speed btwn 65-80 mph.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #54
foey

I picked my bike up last Saturday & got 162 miles before the Ftrip came on, we were averaging 75-80mph with bursts of up to 90.
foey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #55
upinsmoke
What ya gonna do about it

It was windy the other night and I was riding down the interstate at 80 mph and when I left I had 4 bars showing and they started disappearing every 10 miles. With the 16T it was turning 5.5k at 80, I hope it was just the wind but this was the first long interstate run I have done since the mods.

2014 Triumph STR
upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 AM   #56
Raven7
In search of Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by foey
I picked my bike up last Saturday & got 162 miles before the Ftrip came on, we were averaging 75-80mph with bursts of up to 90.
Raven7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #57
RICKFZ1GSXR

Re: Gas mileage

Well, I was wrong. Here is the report.
OK the facts

Because the Mileage is much closer to the norm than what I reported, I won't got through temperature, tire pressures etc. ( I have them for those who would like to know) One major notable is this. No real difference in mileage when taking it easy on the throttle or winding it through the gears.

I did some highway just to see if the mileage would improve. So, I pulled into the gas station, put the bike on the center stand and filled it right to the top, ( something I have not done before on this bike) I zeroed one of the trip meters and headed out. I did 31.5 kms and just stayed ahead of the traffic. No 10-11 k shifts. I tried to keep the throttle at 1/4 turn and under. Also kept the rpm around 5.5 to 6k 95% of the time. Like I say, highway driving for the 31.5 kms.

I pulled back into the gas station, back on the center stand and filled her up. 2.67 liters of gas. I zeroed the trip again and headed off.

I was now off the highway and back on side roads. It was 2:30 in the afternoon, so there was little traffic on the country roads. I turned it up a few notches. I did 96 kms and put 7.98 liters of gas in the tank. ( to the top of the tank, bike on the centerstand)

If I double the 96kms and double the 8 liters, I would have traveled 192 kms using 16 liters of gas, with 2 liters still on reserve. If I go back to the 31kms using 2.67 liters of gas on the first trip, I can pretty much figure what I could get. To make it simple, I could get 15 kms for sure from the reserve gas. So 192 + 15 = 207 kms or 128 miles.

My error was 2 fold. 1, filling up as soon as the light would blink and 2, only filling the tank to a level well below the top. Filling to the top is something I always stayed away from. Maybe it was the dirt bikes from long ago, or some of the street bikes from the 1970s, but I recall filling up to the top way back when, only to see the gas come out of the top of the gas tank while going through a corner leaned over.

I apologize to everyone on the board for the prior incorrect information.

Rick
RICKFZ1GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #58
patricjft
Yo, smile, it's a good day!!

No apology needed. Glad you got it sorted. Enjoy the ride.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #59
natrat

after correcting for odometer error of roughly 5% because of the speedohealer my bike with flys,pc3,fce,16t,slipon with the mid cat still in place and ivan's map is getting 31 mpg. I was getting 85 miles to the light and that was kind of lame but now there is a whole half gallon more from the first click to the top of the tank.Bike runs great though
natrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #60
driller

Mileage..

Last year I misread the guage and 52 miles later I spluttered to a halt on a motorway (freeway to you guys). The trip normally switches at about 110/120 miles so I guess that makes 170 or so as the absolute max.
driller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance