open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 07-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #21
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Your first post says you are looking for a jacket that is both Mesh and Adventure Touring.

I've got the FirstGear Adventure Mesh. Best of both worlds. Somewhat substantial for a meshjacket, excellent quality, and still will be cooler than a non mesh.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...cket_2014.html
Thanks for the writeup WDD. I ended up buying a used Klim Badlands jacket in black/hi viz yellow from an inmate on ADV.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
2006 sv 650 race bike
2007 CRF450X
2008 Honda Ruckus
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #22
grommet
kinetic mentality

HiVizJohn

They now have one with dark khaki accents. I like it.

I'm interested to see how it works for you in the high heat and humidity. I've used it in every other kind of conditions and would definitely buy another if I was in the market.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #23
Lickety Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Heh. Yeah Furnace Creek. $300 motel room to go with it

I'm half-serious about black. Motoport makes other colors but there's some basis in science for black being cooler than other colors if there's any air flow whatsoever. It's why some desert tribes use dark colored robes.
$480 when Jred and I rode through there in May. I've stayed there before. It's nice, has 3 restaurants and that crappy liquid soap/shampoo you find in European hotels. Seriously though, I'm looking for a new jacket as well. Good thread...
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #24
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

The Milk/Klim brand stuff is top notch but really really heavy. I was able to demo the Air? badlands jacket months ago and found it to breathe well but all those flaps caught air and moved around. I decided against 3/4 jackets for my riding, if doing the ADV thing in varied climates this would change.

Advise the OP to use a seriously mesh kit for stupid hot muggy city days, my Joe Rocket is just protective panels held on and around my body by mesh. Nothing is good when the dew point is 74 and the temps reach 85. Pavement temps at 4pm are 126.....

The Rukka base layer compression shirt works OK to wick away moisture, Zilla has them on closeout sometimes.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #25
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety Split View Post
$480 when Jred and I rode through there in May. I've stayed there before. It's nice, has 3 restaurants and that crappy liquid soap/shampoo you find in European hotels. Seriously though, I'm looking for a new jacket as well. Good thread...
Im pretty sure it would be hot no matter what you wear.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2006 sv 650 race bike
2007 CRF450X
2008 Honda Ruckus
Old 07-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #26
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
HiVizJohn

They now have one with dark khaki accents. I like it.

I'm interested to see how it works for you in the high heat and humidity. I've used it in every other kind of conditions and would definitely buy another if I was in the market.
Here is a pic of the new (to me) jacket...I don't think it will work well when the heat index is above 100.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2006 sv 650 race bike
2007 CRF450X
2008 Honda Ruckus
Old 07-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #27
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
The Milk/Klim brand stuff is top notch but really really heavy. I was able to demo the Air? badlands jacket months ago and found it to breathe well but all those flaps caught air and moved around. I decided against 3/4 jackets for my riding, if doing the ADV thing in varied climates this would change.

Advise the OP to use a seriously mesh kit for stupid hot muggy city days, my Joe Rocket is just protective panels held on and around my body by mesh. Nothing is good when the dew point is 74 and the temps reach 85. Pavement temps at 4pm are 126.....

The Rukka base layer compression shirt works OK to wick away moisture, Zilla has them on closeout sometimes.
I'll check out the Rukka stuff, thanks! It is very heavy but once your are on the bike apparently you don't notice it - Grommet?

This will be ADV jacket for me. I don't ride locally much except for the track. If I do, I have a Hein Gericke sp? that I use. It is a mesh well armored sport bike jacket but event is hot as hell here in the furnace.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2006 sv 650 race bike
2007 CRF450X
2008 Honda Ruckus
Old 07-15-2017, 03:21 AM   #28
faseljd

I just bought the Klim Induction Jacket. I am here in Hell's neighbor, Arizona and bought it because of the great reviews I had read. It is a quality product, nicely made, and supposedly the mesh is like 700% stronger than other materials if you do have to asphalt test it. It is the newest generation sans rain liner. Well this thing does not breathe well at all, feels like it has a full impenetrable liner built in. Still going to keep and wear it for the protection it affords me over my 15 year old Buell Mesh jacket.
faseljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #29
grommet
kinetic mentality

The weight of the jacket has never bothered me a bit.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #30
rd400racer

I'll throw another good word in for Revit jackets. I just bought an Outback and it's probably the nicest jacket I've ever owned. I also have a First Gear Kilimanjaro which is a fine jacket as well, but more suited towards colder temps.

Now I may be a tad weird, but I buy my jackets used on the ADV forum. I actually prefer something already broken in, and there are killer deals to be found on all brands. Typically they are slightly used by the previous owner and sometimes as cheap as half off.
rd400racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear