register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance

Old 08-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
okrider

Question about fork seal replacement

I have a question for the people who change their own fork seals here.
So I've replaced seals on stock FZ1 forks and on a couple right side up forks as well. The right side up forks require you to unbolt the bottom to take the inner and outer tube apart, the upside down forks don't.

In every video I've watched about upside down forks, people always take the fork internals apart starting at the top, take the spring off and so on. Can't we just unbolt the bottom, get the internals out as 1 piece and bolt it back on when seal is replaced? This eliminates the need for a fork spring compressor.

I am asking because I'm about to do this again on the set of 04-06 R1 forks I just got for my bike and I am wondering if I can get around compressing the spring by just removing the internals altogether by removing the bottom allen bolt. I understand that the level has to be set with the spring out, but I know how much fluid it's supposed to have so I'm just going to pour that much in instead of putting too much and then taking some out later.

Also, when doing the R1 forks, does the adjustment on the bottom (near the axle) require anything special if I was to take the internals out, even just to inspect them?

Sorry for the long post. It's just that I have a cheapo spring compressor that requires a second person and I have no friends
YouTube Channel - OK Rider
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Not sure if that will work, but a pair of tie downs on the spring compressor works really well. Just pull them evenly and don't bend the rod.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Not sure if that will work, but a pair of tie downs on the spring compressor works really well. Just pull them evenly and don't bend the rod.
I have some minions who can help out but I'm trying to revolutionize fork seal replacements here
Old 08-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
Satan666
Call 9-1-1

Location: Black Hills, SD ~ Lake Forest, IL ~ (Storage Only) Morro Bay, CA
I love to make tools . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Living alone in the forest has some drawbacks so I fabbed this cantilever tool to compress the spring. Sorry, I don't have a fork around to show it in action. Not patented, so feel free . . .

My first rule: Drain the oil!

WOW: Short cuts require special bandages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01999.JPG (133.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02000.JPG (147.4 KB, 97 views)
Wisdom is the fusion of truth, knowledge and experience.
Satan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
okrider

So good news for those who tackle this job alone, you don't have to use the spring compressor at all. Just undo the bottom bolt (I used an electric impact driver) and the internals come out as one piece. Separate the tubes, replace the seal, bolt the internals back on, add the right amount of fluid. Done.

Make sure to compress the internals a bunch of times to get all the fluid in it out. I used a measuring cup to put the right amount of fluid in it.

Definitely beats having to fish the internals through the spring to put the cap on.
Figured I'd share with you guys.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Did you happen to make a u toob vidyah?
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: Aprilia Tuono, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000, '02 XR650L THE TRACTOR
My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 AM   #7
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Did you need to drain the old fluid from the damper tube? If so, how did you do this with the internals in one piece?

I ask because any old fluid left in the system would be added to the total you added by measuring and would change the air gap from the ideal figure.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:15 AM   #8
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Did you happen to make a u toob vidyah?
I didn't unfortunately, I was in a hurry but will next time.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:17 AM   #9
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
Did you need to drain the old fluid from the damper tube? If so, how did you do this with the internals in one piece?

I ask because any old fluid left in the system would be added to the total you added by measuring and would change the air gap from the ideal figure.
Yes, I drained the damper tube after taking the internals out. I put the internals in an oil pan on an old floor mat. Compressed the internals by pushing down from the top until no more fluid came out.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Good info, many thanks for clarifying.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #11
okrider

No problem, hope it helps someone

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance