register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 05-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
Blake0116
Lets Ride

Could a louder pipe potentially save my life?

I just recently acquired my second 1st gen FZ1. So far I have been enjoying the heck out of it and I planned to leave everything mostly stock.

Yesterday I rode the bike down to my local Walmart to pick up a couple of things. I pulled my bike into the parking lot and parked in one of the motorcycle specific spots.

A guy pulls his compact car in several spaces away from me. As he gets out of his vehicle and I'm removing my helmet he engages in conversation with me and this is what was said -

"Hey man that's a really nice bike but you've gotta change out that exhaust, it's way too quiet. I was driving next to you and I couldn't even hear your bike unless i turned my radio all the way down." I then proceeded to tell him "Oh really?" He says "Yeah man, that quiet exhaust could get you killed out here man, people don't pay attention for shit around here." I then said "Well, I'm not a big fan of obnoxiously loud exhaust systems. I hate it when some of these guys just cut their exhaust and run a straight pipe it's loud enough to make your ears bleed." He then says "Oh yeah those guys are just assholes, you don't need to do anything ridiculous like that just get something that actually makes some noise while you're riding."

I asked the guy if he was a rider himself he replied "No, just trying to look out for somebody who obviously enjoys riding his bike but wants to do it safely."

I assume he said this because I was wearing my helmet, jacket, gloves, and long pants. Which it is actually getting pretty rare to see people even wearing a helmet around here anymore.

With that being said, what is you guys opinion? Was the guy being nice but a bit over the top about how *quiet* the bike was or is it really too quiet?

I live really close to Tampa, FL. Motorcyclists get killed all of the time over here, so I am giving this some serious analysis to find out if I should get an aftermarket slip-on that allows her to purr a bit more.

Sorry for the long post if you even made it this far lol.
Blake0116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

<-- commuting in Los Angeles traffic for many, many years. IMO no.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
bradd
Working away

Based on the number of people in traffic that didn't pull over on my trip home yesterday for an ambulance with siren on and honking its air horn I am of the opinion that more noise will not get the average dumbass drivers attention.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #4
fermic37

Nope. Just a shirt "those guys" like to wear.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Blake0116
Lets Ride

So three of you are saying exhaust volume don't mean squat haha.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
Blake0116
Lets Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
Nope. Just a shirt "those guys" like to wear.
So loud exhaust = squid?
Old 05-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
_Will_

Use to ride in Tampa traffic all the time, originally with a stock exhaust on my FZR600 and then a D&D that would make my apartment feel like it had reverb if I ran it pointed at a the door. I never saw a difference in the way I was treated and most people aren't great with sound anyway and freely damage their hearing without concern.

Maybe it's a FL thing, I once had an elderly woman walk up to me at the CVS at the corner of Fowler and 56th and told me real men wear helmets before patting my Shoei and walking off.
_Will_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
ZX-Dominance

No.

But a Nautilus Airhorn or the like can and will.

Ive had SO MANY wonderful experiences watching cagers swerve away from me, after they started that typical "I'm-changing-into-your-lane-without-looking" maneuver and got hit with what sounds like a train 4feet from their window.

Tapping it for a quick "hey buddy dont you pull out of that parking lot" works well too.

aaaaaaaand it's really good for shaming and trolling/enraging anyone that decides to roll their window down and give you a piece of their mind. Nothing shuts people up like having every car in 1/4 mile radius looking at them as the anonymous motorcyclist wailing the horn points to them to let everyone know why the horn is on.
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * AK20s * Elka Elite* Yosh R77 * Flashed * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * PCV+Ign+Autotune * TechSpecs * Carbon all over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
ZX-Dominance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake0116 View Post
So loud exhaust = squid?
"those" = harley riders (whoops)
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * AK20s * Elka Elite* Yosh R77 * Flashed * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * PCV+Ign+Autotune * TechSpecs * Carbon all over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
Blake0116
Lets Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Will_ View Post
Use to ride in Tampa traffic all the time, originally with a stock exhaust on my FZR600 and then a D&D that would make my apartment feel like it had reverb if I ran it pointed at a the door. I never saw a difference in the way I was treated and most people aren't great with sound anyway and freely damage their hearing without concern.

Maybe it's a FL thing, I once had an elderly woman walk up to me at the CVS at the corner of Fowler and 56th and told me real men wear helmets before patting my Shoei and walking off.
Now that is hilarious!

And I am definitely not looking to alert the local media every time I fire the bike up. I am also currently living in an apartment complex, so I will probably steer clear of the D&D if I do decide to change the can. The consensus seems to be that the D&D is too loud for most.

Last edited by Blake0116; 05-18-2017 at 01:43 PM. Reason: cuz i wanted to!
Old 05-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #11
Blake0116
Lets Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
No.

But a Nautilus Airhorn or the like can and will.

Ive had SO MANY wonderful experiences watching cagers swerve away from me, after they started that typical "I'm-changing-into-your-lane-without-looking" maneuver and got hit with what sounds like a train 4feet from their window.

Tapping it for a quick "hey buddy dont you pull out of that parking lot" works well too.

aaaaaaaand it's really good for shaming and trolling/enraging anyone that decides to roll their window down and give you a piece of their mind. Nothing shuts people up like having every car in 1/4 mile radius looking at them as the anonymous motorcyclist wailing the horn points to them to let everyone know why the horn is on.
Hmmm. I like this idea. The stock FZ horn is weak.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
motomania

Think about this for a second (or two):

1) How many people notice or even care about car alarms
2) How many people pay any attention to all the lights and sirens of police, fire trucks and ambulances?
3) Notice the complex mix of sounds and pitches in sirens
4) Notice how the outlet of the sires are directed forward and up high

There is a TON of science built into making sirens the best possible way to get driver's attention.

And yet, the vast majority of drivers STILL don't hear them OR give them the right of way OR, in general, respond to them in the correct way.

Why on earth would you, even possibly for 1/2 a second, think your motorcycle exhaust, which is aimed low and behind you, would even remotely get a useful response from the, at best, ambivalent drivers out there?

You can't be that dull in thinking as you can type...
2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 MC, SSL lines, custom tail, raised Sargeant seat, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130119

Last edited by motomania; 05-18-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: corrected some typos...
motomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #13
loosenut
Now where did that come from?

I most cases I can't hear loud bikes until they are right next to my car. That's a bit late for safety.

2007 Yamaha FZ1
2005 GasGas EC300 (with plate), 2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #14
aeg

After observing a driver crossing path of the big red fire truck with lights and sirens blasting at full volume (on two separate occurrences) I conclude that the only life saving device is inside your helmet. The best part is one can constantly improve its performance.
aeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #15
Blake0116
Lets Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania View Post
Think about this for a second (or two):

1) How many people notice care about car alarms
2) How many people pay any attention to all the lights and sirens of police, fire trucks and ambulances?
3) Notice the complex mix of sounds and pitches in sirens
4) Notice how the outlet of the sires are directed forward and up high

There is a TON of science built into making sirens the best possible way to get driver's attention.

And yet, the vast majority of drivers STILL don't hear them, give them the right of way, in general respond to them in the correct way.

Why on earth you you even possibly for 1/2 a second, think your motorcycle exhaust, which is aimed low and behind you, would even remotely get a useful response from the at best ambivalent drivers out there?

You can't be that dull in thinking as you can type...
You are right! Thanks for clearing that up bud!
Old 05-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
dschult2

Loud pipes aren't safer. The only people that will really hear you are the ones most likely to not hit you, meaning the people behind you.
dschult2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
Blake0116
Lets Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
I most cases I can't hear loud bikes until they are right next to my car. That's a bit late for safety.
Fair enough.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #18
fermic37

Always liked this shirt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9509.jpg (50.7 KB, 161 views)
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #19
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

on the shirt above. I have the orange and the blue.

Excessively loud pipes, whether straight pipes on a big V twin or shorties on screaming I-4 Jap bikes, are annoying as hell.

Do they help in traffic? Sure, if you just want to piss off all the cagers.
Do they get you noticed? Yes, as you'll see when the blue lights are flashing in your rear view mirror after that kewl 11k rpm blast around the minivan.
Do they prove you're an idiot? Not concrete proof, but a very good indicator.

Kidding aside, the best tool in traffic, as stated above, is located in your helmet. Use it wisely.

Sounds like the car driver was trying to be nice, but doesn't have a clue about riding motorcycles in traffic. Best to just smile and say thanks.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #20
Dean Dinnetz

One of the best things i did about a year ago, was install a 113 decibel horn, on my 2002 FZ1.

And said horn was used last Saturday, in San Juan Bautista. There is a place at the end of town, that i like to ride to, for a large cup of decaf coffee. The place has a nice patio. I usually give my girl friend in Portland, Oregon a call from there.

Anyway, was in the parking lot at the place on my FZ1, with a large truck ahead of me. He stops, and i see the white reverse lights come on! He is about to start backing up, to get into a parking slot, he missed. He does not see me! At that instant, i hit my 113 decibel horn. His brake lights come on, and THEN he looks in his rear view mirror. He waves, and continues forward.

Obtaining that horn, was one of the best things i ever did, on my FZ1. It only cost me $12.99 with free shipping. Fits in the same spot as the useless o.e.m. horn. Comes with a steel mounting bracket. Uses the o.e.m. wire connectors and has been fine for over a year, and ten thousand miles.

If anybody is interested in this horn, contact me by p.m., and i will tell you where to find it. Not making any money off of this, just trying to help people stay alive.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion