register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #1
firefly
2004 FZ1

Chain length with a 47 rear sprocket

I am finally replacing the chain and want to use a 47 rear sprocket & leave the front stock size, should I cut the chain with 3 extra links to compensate for the additional 3 teeth of the sprocket?

Thanks
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #2
firefly
2004 FZ1

bump
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #3
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Bumping after 7 minutes?

Remember most of our peeps are in the east. It’s 11pm.
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM   #4
firefly
2004 FZ1

Sorry about that, My chain is almost going to break & I need to use the bike tomorrow for work so I am replacing it now I already broke the chain on the bike, was hoping to get a quick answer so I can cut the new chain & instal it. by the time I finish its going to be 1:00 am here.
now I know the bumping rules here, never bumped before.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #5
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

No worries. There’s no rules. Just seemed odd with no context.

Maybe try searching. I’m not sure many are awake currently to answer such a specific question.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM   #6
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Yes, you will need a longer chain with the 47-tooth rear and the stock front sprocket.

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/4...tallation.html

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #7
firefly
2004 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Glenn View Post
Yes, you will need a longer chain with the 47-tooth rear and the stock front sprocket.

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/4...tallation.html

Pat
how many links longer? to keep the wheelbase the same.
Thanks
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #8
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Why not run the chain through and line it up with the wheel in the middle of the travel of adjustment (not too far forward or back). That will give you a pretty good idea. You can mark where the links line up with a marker and then cut the right length.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM   #9
firefly
2004 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
Why not run the chain through and line it up with the wheel in the middle of the travel of adjustment (not too far forward or back). That will give you a pretty good idea. You can mark where the links line up with a marker and then cut the right length.
That's what I am planning to do now but first I have a lot of cleaning to do, I wish I pressure washed the swingarm before diving into this, the wheel hasn't been cleaned for at least two years, good I have a gallon of WD-40 & rags.
this is my first time riveting a chain.

Thanks
Old Today, 12:11 AM   #10
Tigerman
Intelligence Is Optional

I ran the 17/47 for awhile with 124 links. Www.gearingcommander.com can help with any questions on configurations.
2009 Black/Granite with Healtech Quickshifter Easy, Traxxion AK-20 Cartridges and .95 springs, Nitron R3 Shock, Convertibars, RSC Adjustable Clutch Lever, MotionPro +2.5" clutch & throttle cables, Vortex Rearsets with Vortex brake light switch, Venhill brake lines, Mivv GP Carbon Slip On, Ivan's ECU Flash, PC V, Air Box Mod, Gutted Cat, 12-O'clock Labs Speedo DRD and EXUP Simulator, Datatool gear Indicator, Motech Mirror Extenders, California Scientific windscreen when cruising.
Tigerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:12 AM   #11
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

How many links you add just depends on where you want the final tire position to be. I like a shorter wheelbase. A 16/47 clears on the gen 2 with stock chain, and 17/47 just baaaaarely makes the tire touch the swing arm.

An extra link or two should be sufficient. For confidence when ordering, get 3 links above stock. It’s much easier to cut links off, than to run 2 master links. Use the rivet type master link ofc.
MichaelFZ1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:34 AM   #12
firefly
2004 FZ1

Thanks, everyone, I cleaned the wheel, lubed the bearings, installed the 47 sprocket than goofed around & decided to finish the job in daylight, will aim just before the middle to get a smaller wheelbase for more agility, the swingarm is really dirty so I'll need to clean it with a degreaser and water, I'll check for any play before I put the wheel on.
unfortunately, the new front sprocket did not arrive from partshark so I'll replace it later in the wkend. Pat's site is extremely helpful for getting the job done right, your input was great too.

Thanks again
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #13
ZX-Dominance

I def ran 17-47 on a stock chain. Could not get 17/48 and using 17/49 im at 124.

At 17/47 on 120(I believe) I was nearly or all the adjusted in, and it felt good. TBH a little unstable/more sketchy in the corners with the front dropped 12mm. Just a head's up
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * AK20s * Elka Elite* Yosh R77 * Flashed * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * PCV+Ign+Autotune * TechSpecs * Carbon all over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #14
ZX-Dominance

also...

www.gearingcommander.com
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * AK20s * Elka Elite* Yosh R77 * Flashed * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * PCV+Ign+Autotune * TechSpecs * Carbon all over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering