register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 06-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #201
aeronaut

I bought an assortment from 2 places, and I'm not 100% sure which ones I used where. But...I do know that for the upper, I used bronze bushings from asbbearings.com, part number ZMB 1012-08. (Which is 10 ID, 12 ID, 8mm long), they're $4.20 ea.

For the lower, I used 2 15mm long bushings (steel backed PTFE). I bought some of these from both mcmaster carr and asbbearings. One them was a few thousanths longer than the other, and the shorter ones JUST fit. A piece of sandpaper would have made the longer ones fit. But anyway, part number from asbbearings.com is
ZU MB1015ZU, $0.98 ea.

Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with steel back PTFE in the uppers also, simply because they're so cheap (from asbbearings):
ZU MB1008ZU, $0.45 ea.

I hope I got all the above right! Because I ordered 2 types of bushings from 2 different places, and just pulled from that supply, I'm only 90% sure.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #202
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post

And yes, a stock Gen1 FZ1 is said to be prone to headshake, especially if heavily loaded. A too-soft rear spring would exaggerate that tendency.
that is especially true when they've been modified witha full exhaust, proper jetting, advancer & airbox mod and WFO is applied in any of the bottom 5 gears @ high rpms

Don't ask how I know...
ZachD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #203
CBXR

many thanks for the info on the bushings This is my next project. i have just had a cycle lift delivered. My knees need some TLC.
CBXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #204
citystar777

Hello everyone,
after reading this post I found a cheap BMW shock on ebay, however my weight is 285 lbs. I was wondering would I be able to get away with the yellow CBR Spring (I can find easily on ebay, not so with the hayabusa spring)? Also is there a link or some online info on how to change the spring for BMW shock?
citystar777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #205
stretch160

Hey citystar I've been away from the forum for a while. I think the Yellow CBR spring will work well for you. the spring is removed from both the CBR and BMW shocks by compressing the spring and sliding the C shaped pring perch out from under the spring. Then carefully releasing the pressure on the spring. Assembly is the reverse procedure.
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #206
Bruce in Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by citystar777 View Post
Hello everyone,
after reading this post I found a cheap BMW shock on ebay, however my weight is 285 lbs. I was wondering would I be able to get away with the yellow CBR Spring (I can find easily on ebay, not so with the hayabusa spring)? Also is there a link or some online info on how to change the spring for BMW shock?
My only concern about a much stiffer spring on the BMW shock is a possible lack of rebound. I run the 1000rr shock with the stock spring rate (475lb/in) and longer dogbones for normal ride height and have noticed that the first 4-5 clicks on the rebound are worthless. I run 6-7 depending on if I'm just cruising or riding more aggressively. It does appear that 8-10 on rebound gets lots of damping quickly, ie it really gets aggressive quickly. You may be able to get enough rebound with an approx. 600lb/in spring but my experience shows you'll be running close to the full stiff rebound on the shock.
Bruce in Tucson
'03 Bumblebee, etc.
Bruce in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #207
FJ Fun
Grouchy old squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
Hey citystar I've been away from the forum for a while. I think the Yellow CBR spring will work well for you. the spring is removed from both the CBR and BMW shocks by compressing the spring and sliding the C shaped pring perch out from under the spring. Then carefully releasing the pressure on the spring. Assembly is the reverse procedure.
Stretch,
I haven't read the whole thread, but can you tell me the Center to Center length on the BMW shock? My application is not an FZ1, but a FJ 1200. I have put a K 1200 RS shock on it, but it is too long & the spring rate too low.

Joe

Last edited by FJ Fun; 09-19-2013 at 06:20 PM.
FJ Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #208
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by citystar777 View Post
Also is there a link or some online info on how to change the spring for BMW shock?
Hey citystar, try googling "ghetto spring compressor".

I used straps and a board. But the smarter way to change springs is to take the shock to a bike shop.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #209
Bruce in Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ Fun View Post
Stretch,
I haven't read the whole thread, but can you tell me the Center to Center length on the BMW shock? My application is not an FZ1, but a FJ 1200. I have put a K 1200 RS shock on it, but it is too long & the spring rate too low.

Joe
1000RR shock thru 2012 is 314mm += or- a couple mm, hard to measure exact with the spring on. Supposedly 2013 RR shock is 4mm shorter. And stock RR spring is 475 lb/in.
Bruce in Tucson
'03 Bumblebee, etc.
Bruce in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #210
citystar777

Thanks you Stretch and Captain, I see a lot of of great ways under "Ghetto Spring Compressor" (some not so safe) but I will let you guys know how it comes out
citystar777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #211
FJ Fun
Grouchy old squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in Tucson View Post
1000RR shock thru 2012 is 314mm += or- a couple mm, hard to measure exact with the spring on. Supposedly 2013 RR shock is 4mm shorter. And stock RR spring is 475 lb/in.
Bruce in Tucson
'03 Bumblebee, etc.
Bruce,
Thanks for checking on those dimensions and specs for me. Greatly appreciate it.

Joe
FJ Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #212
m singer

Which adjuster does the hi and low speed compression damping? Do you simply put a socket on the knob and turn it to adjust the black adjuster? I take it that the rebound is on the bottom and higher numbers are more damping?

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." Frederic Bastiat
m singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:07 AM   #213
fazernoob66
gen1 enthusiast

Hello all I tried the S1krr shock mod last year, but was ripped off and sent a bad shock. But yesterday I picked up a 2008 r6 shock in great shape. I already had the new dog bones machined for the s1krr setup, they are 145mm center to center. I see the suggested length for the r6 mod is 130mm. Are these lengths different to compensate for the overall shock lengths?
Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #214
82packer
Shoe King

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazernoob66 View Post
I already had the new dog bones machined for the s1krr setup, they are 145mm center to center. I see the suggested length for the r6 mod is 130mm. Are these lengths different to compensate for the overall shock lengths?
Yes. With 145mm you'll have a low rider. Keep the long dog bones for trips to the drag strip.
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #215
fazernoob66
gen1 enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82packer View Post
Yes. With 145mm you'll have a low rider. Keep the long dog bones for trips to the drag strip.

Awesome thanks. I read a bit deeper, I am going to make 127mm bones and raise the tail a bit. There is a r1 front end local on craigslust, I may jump on that soon and do the whole bike over.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #216
mikey998

The R1 conversion is a great upgrade. I did mine last year and have a BMW shock on the rear. Completely transforms the bike.

Let me know if you have any questions about the mod. I have some lessons learned, the hard way.
mikey998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #217
fazernoob66
gen1 enthusiast

Picked up a super nice condition 08 shock, machined some bones and installed that sucker! I made the bones to 127mm between centers and the free suspension is 1/2" higher than stock. The handling improvement is incredible! Now the front end feels like my xrL, I have to get a USD front end this year.
https://plus.google.com/112221190077...ts/78NvEGVXsFu
Old 05-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #218
Whaler

Anyone have a CBR1000RR yellow spring they did not use and want to sell? I will purchase a full shock if needed, but figured if someone bought one and did not use it I would help them move it.

Engage Brain Before Operating Mouth!
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #219
isleoman

Did this mod on my spare Gen1 about a month ago. Pristine 2012 S1000rr shock off the bay, but utilized a 700 lb. Eibach spring I had from a stock shock upgrade/re valve by Curtis a dozen years ago.

Bought some of those $30 Asian spring compressors. They did the job but struggled with both springs, of course more so with the 700 lb spring.

I'm sure the sag isn't right. I rotated the threaded spring pre-load collar as far out as it would go. Put all the other settings on 7. I weigh about 230.

Stock dog bones, bike sits a tad higher, but not much.

I know folks will say the spring is too heavy without re-valving but I have to say it performs almost as nice as the Penske/650lb. I have on my main Gen 1.

So in summary, I'm too lazy to set things up right but very happy with the results I got. I guess the question is will the heavy spring prematurely blow out the other components. We'll see, I got less the $75 into so not too worried.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #220
davidji

I've posted this in another thread, but I installed a 2013 S1000RR shock on my bike with the yamaha linkage and BMW spring (which is stiffer than the Yamaha spring).

The rear of the bike is raised about 12mm. I assume it has the stock S1000RR spring, but not certain--it's pretty common for people to switch to stiffer springs, and of course the shock was second-hand.

At least it works fine--I've bought a second-hand shock before that leaked from the minute I first installed it, and continued to do so after having it rebuilt--twice.

Ride is a bit better than stock, but still way too harsh. I could go to a softer spring like the 475 pounds/inch recommended for my weight by penske--that's the stock FZ1 spring rate, right? But with the shorter travel of the BMW shock, I'm afraid that might not work.

I wonder if I'll need a custom linkage to get a suitable solution. I'm not a machinist, so it's not something I can fab myself, and I doubt anything more complicated than modifying an existing linkage would be worth having a pro do.

I'm thinking of switching to an R6 kit, or maybe even an aftermarket shock.

But before I do that, do y'all have any suggestions?
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering