register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #21
SCROOOSE!!
What the.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@DBF View Post
Get the Fren Tubo brake lines from PJ. I dont have them because my bike already had braided lines, but I saw the Fren Tubo lines on a bike and the fit is amazing.
PJ??? Oh hell.

I used to have a long sig but then Desmo stopped talking to me.
SCROOOSE!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #22
Big_Dave
Gratefully Deadicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCROOOSE!! View Post
I definitely need to get the brake lines updated. Still shopping and reading on em. I am pretty sure I have galfers on the gen1.

And I have found that I just canít stand the stock pads. I have ran an upgraded pad for most of the Gen1s life and have gotten used to the better bite. So that will be ordeeed soon as well.
I ordered Galfer lines front and back and they fit perfectly.
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #23
SCROOOSE!!
What the.......

Galfers are hard to pass up....

Old 05-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #24
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Quote:
I did! On May 5th. I wasnít really even shopping for a bike, I was more or less poking around on the web to see what a couple year old FZ1was going for. And thatís when it happened. I stumbled upon a NEW 2013 with 12 miles. The price was right so I dropped the cash and went and got it.
I got mine on May 5 too, except in 2009. Time to sell it...

2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport
Brock Full Exhaust|GPR Damper|Sato Rearsets|Sargent Seat|Oxford Heated Grips|GBR/Woodcraft protectors|Blue SS Lines|Motodynamics signals

2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP,Rizoma mirrors,Ermax Bellypan,Tecbike CAT,V-stream,Wunderlich Seat,360į LED signals,R&G+Puig Protection

Hepco Becker Luggage System for both

CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #25
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@DBF View Post
Get the Fren Tubo brake lines from PJ. I dont have them because my bike already had braided lines, but I saw the Fren Tubo lines on a bike and the fit is amazing.

This. PJ had them boxed up and ready to ship while we were still on the phone. Also, he is just a great guy.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #26
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
^^^^
I also installed some sort of HH brake pads, EBC or DP, I can't remember.

I use EBC HH and Fren Fubo steel lines from PJ and they are as good as the Brembos on the Ducati and KTM.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #27
SCROOOSE!!
What the.......

Those of you that got the Wren Turbos...did you get two lines or one line and a splitter? I really don’t know if I will be doing any moto gp racing any time soon....will I notice the difference in two lines and a splitter??

Old 05-29-2018, 06:03 AM   #28
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Those of you that got the Wren Turbos...did you get two lines or one line and a splitter? I really don’t know if I will be doing any moto gp racing any time soon....will I notice the difference in two lines and a splitter??
If....... you get all the air out, there's not much, if any, difference in braking force. At least for me, it's always been way easier to bleed separate lines, and I think that reason alone is why separate line systems are so popular. Fortunately on the FZ, there is no stupid line cross-over arrangement and bleeding it shouldn't be a hassle. I find the FZ1 front brake incredibly stout. I have seen some folks here complain about them, but at at least on mine (which still has the original rubber lines), I almost wish it had a little air in it, lol. I have spent a crap-ton of money on the Street Triple (Brembo stuff) to get the short brake lever travel like the FZ has, and now that I have the FZ, I don't like that travel, lol. To me, it's too unforgiving.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:33 AM   #29
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Go with two line kit and be done with it. Sure, the rubber lines work, sure the brakes aren't as bad as people say but, it is worth the money in my mind.
The Fart Master makes a valid point, "too unforgiving", a Brembo master will solve that issue, allowing you to "feather" in more braking power where the stock is crap. Its all about balance. You want the stainless lines and an R1 master (cheap) or stainless lines and the Brembo RCS. ($$$)

WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:48 AM   #30
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Go with two line kit and be done with it. Sure, the rubber lines work, sure the brakes aren't as bad as people say but, it is worth the money in my mind.
The Fart Master makes a valid point, "too unforgiving", a Brembo master will solve that issue, allowing you to "feather" in more braking power where the stock is crap. Its all about balance. You want the stainless lines and an R1 master (cheap) or stainless lines and the Brembo RCS. ($$$)
Yeah, if replacing the lines, at least go s/s for sure!

Is that R1 master a direct swap with the Gen2 OEM (other than procuring an alternate reservoir)? If I ordered new FZ1 brake lines, would the line length and banjo fittings be good to go, or is there something else I need to be aware of? I'm pretty sure me being bitch-slapped by the pavement was a result of too much front brake.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #31
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Direct swap: Yep, Reservoir: Should come with it. Banjo's will play on..................

o' course since your in Mizzoo..................you hear banjo's all the time...........

By far the easiest way to go. This is of course has been MY experience. I'm running the lines and a Brembo after running the R1. Bought the Brembo from PJ cause it were just so nifty. (and I'm a mod whore)

Anybody else care to share their experience with the braking side of the Gen 2?

Old 05-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #32
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Anybody else care to share their experience with the braking side of the Gen 2?
I have the R1 forks which are shorter than stock so everything fits just fine as far as length. It's a direct bolt on so you shouldn't have any issues. Maybe a slight issue because the brake line connects to the front of the FZ1 master while R1 fits on the bottom. Have to rotate the steel lines a bit which can be difficult.

You'll have to spend a minute fitting everything and brake fluid will go everywhere. Brake fluid is water soluble so spray everything with water to prevent damage. Don't get any water in the reservoir though. Good luck!
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #33
fermic37

I have zero issues with the stock Mc and ss lines. With the stock calipers or with the r1 radial calipers.

Lines are worth the money, keep an eye out for sales. Usually twice a year you can buy a front set and get a rear one for free.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #34
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

If you swap to the R1 MC, you will need longer brake lines as the banjo on the R1MC sits further out on you handle bar than the stock MC. so if you are going to buy new lines get hem 50mm longer then buy an R1 MC off ebay and be done with it.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #35
Nobars

I was fine with 25 mm with my R1 master, but longer is better than shorter.
Nobars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:21 AM   #36
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
^^^^
I also installed some sort of HH brake pads, EBC or DP, I can't remember.
Yes. Call PJ for brake lines and get the Brembo Sintered Race pads.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:05 AM   #37
SCROOOSE!!
What the.......

Soooo....

Iím sitting here on my brains thinking about the mods weíve talked about. And Iím wondering, why didnít I just buy an R1!?!?

I mean I am putting a full exhaust on it, updating the ecu and adding a PCV. I am going to try an sv650 riser to see if I like it ( probably will ). And now we are talking R1 shock, R1 forks and an R1 MC. Almost sounds like I will be a fairing kit short of an R1 when done

Old 05-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #38
val guy
Go Celtics!!!!!

Quote:
Almost sounds like I will be a fairing kit short of an R1 when done
Um.......no; you won't.
val guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #39
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Quote:
Soooo....

Iím sitting here on my brains thinking about the mods weíve talked about. And Iím wondering, why didnít I just buy an R1!?!?

I mean I am putting a full exhaust on it, updating the ecu and adding a PCV. I am going to try an sv650 riser to see if I like it ( probably will ). And now we are talking R1 shock, R1 forks and an R1 MC. Almost sounds like I will be a fairing kit short of an R1 when done
It will be better than an R1 for the street in low and midrange. I have some SV650 risers I can sell.

2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport
Brock Full Exhaust|GPR Damper|Sato Rearsets|Sargent Seat|Oxford Heated Grips|GBR/Woodcraft protectors|Blue SS Lines|Motodynamics signals

2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP,Rizoma mirrors,Ermax Bellypan,Tecbike CAT,V-stream,Wunderlich Seat,360į LED signals,R&G+Puig Protection

Hepco Becker Luggage System for both

CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #40
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

SCROOSE, all of these mods your talking about are tried and true as well as inexpensive. If you went full zoot, it'd be wayyy more than the bike itself. I know, I have 2 FZ1 Gen 2's with a s%$t ton of stuff.
All mods mentioned that come from an R1 do what Yamaha should have done from the beginning however, price point I'm sure was their goal. For the money, IMHO, there is no better all around bike to be had. Also IMHO, no more underrated bike to be had.

Best of luck.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion