click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #1
loosenut
Now where did that come from?

Withdrawals

OK, I am without any motorcycle. It's a horrible feeling. I can't wait till I'm cruising the SC upstate roads and the surrounding states. The first bike purchased bike will be comfortable for both rider and passenger. That way, my wife and I can explore in comfort.

2007 Yamaha FZ1 SOLD
2005 GasGas EC300 SOLD, 2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 PM   #2
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Whatcha thinking? VFR1200? FJR1300? Connie? S1000XR?

Yeah, motorcycle withdrawal sucks. I’m gonna be having those while I find another to replace my Gen 2 that was stolen last Friday. (Gotta wait for my claim $$$ too)
Old 07-12-2019, 04:17 AM   #3
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Have you looked at an FZ1?
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

I had to ride my cousin's 2013 Gold Wing last week while following hum on his Triumph. I was a little shocked at how comfortable (and stable) his Wing is at speed. If I carried a passenger (I never do) it would be right up there.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:25 AM   #5
glory racing

I went to a 1 bike only situation a couple years ago. I feel your pain.

There are several bikes out there that can comfortably handle 2up twisty duty. A larger and heavier machine will provide room and comfort that is desirable. They can still romp through the twisties but varying degrees of additional effort will be required. All of them require suspension upgrades if solid performance is desired.

Regarding the wing, they are great machines. And with thousands of dollars of suspension upgrades Yellow Wolf, and others, are able to tame the dragon with them. If touring is on your agenda it is an excellent choice. However, just for weekend runs it would be substantially more machine than necessary IMO. I wouldn't want to wrestle it around. I spent a morning test riding the new 'smaller' wing and it is still a lot of machine for twisty duty.

We recently went through the decision process for a new 2up machine. When you start researching/looking for a ride I will be glad to share some input. I say 'we' because the pillion should be involved to some degree. For example, I liked the S1000 XR but the rear seat and riding position is similar to a sportbike. My pillion would not be comfortable for an all day ride. It's out.

Jake: your bike was stolen?
glory racing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
V10KLZZ71S
Ford Lover

Location: Gretna,Louisiana/Tennessee Colony, Texas/Lower Alabama
I have daily withdrawals!! I have been bikeless for a couple of yrs now at least.Its horrible, my best riding buddy has a newer Bandit 1200 now. I would most likely get a ZRX1200R as my next bike. I still have all of my riding gear just waiting to be awoken. I live in so much arthritic pain that riding might be just short rides only.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
old77zrider

IMO the FJR would be the first choice then maybe a Kaw Concours.
old77zrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #8
fermic37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
Have you looked at an FZ1?
I second this. Great bike for sport touring. I hear it’s highly recommended.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
jared p
^ guy

And you're in some seriously good riding areas too. You need a bike asap
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #10
glory racing

Just my experience only so YMMV. My pillion did not like the FZ1 as a 2up machine. May not be fair as it was being compared to an FJR but the fact remains. The rear seat was small/uncomfortable and do to the overall light weight, any of her movements had a dramatic effect. Similarly, we test rode the MT09/FJ09 whatever it is called at a Yamaha demo day. It was awful. Just not enough there to handle 2up duty. Felt like we would break it if we rode hard. I test rode the FZ09 by myself and it was a blast.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
Just my experience only so YMMV. My pillion did not like the FZ1 as a 2up machine. May not be fair as it was being compared to an FJR but the fact remains. The rear seat was small/uncomfortable and do to the overall light weight, any of her movements had a dramatic effect. Similarly, we test rode the MT09/FJ09 whatever it is called at a Yamaha demo day. It was awful. Just not enough there to handle 2up duty. Felt like we would break it if we rode hard. I test rode the FZ09 by myself and it was a blast.
We were talking of the far superior Gen1 of course. Pillion approved!
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #12
isleoman

Quote:
Our experience varies.

My wife has no problems with Sargent seat on Gen 1 for 200-300 miles for 6 to 8 hours. We've been doing two up for 250K miles. Neither of us is petite.

Does your FJR have stock seat?

If I were going to be doing more overnight type rides I might consider something larger. Problem with larger and two up is putting foot down wrong and falling over at slow speeds or parking.

The other problem for older passengers is getting that leg over the seat or worse yet over the hard bags without scratching body work.

My wife goes with me maybe 20% of the time. I really don't want to buy something for that situation and be frustrated most of the time I'm alone.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
glory racing

Yep...I had a gen 2. The gen 1 would certainly be better for 2up duties.

On the FJR we had a Corbin with backrest. Currently on a VFR1200. The first one also had a Corbin and now #2 has a custom seat. All were/are all day comfortable.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #14
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

After having put nearly 150,000 miles on a GL1800 I wouldn't hesitate buying another. Plenty agile, powerful and the perfect passenger hauler.
But I think I'm going down the new FJR path next year. I love all of the recent updates and cruise control!
Torchsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #15
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Any feedback from the Tracer GT forums on 2 up riding yet ? I have not had time to research a feejer replacement yet.

Don't wait too long loosenut
Old 07-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
We were talking of the far superior Gen1 of course. Pillion approved!
Ditto. Two-up, potentially loaded with all three bags, Sargent seat, and rear extended pegs by 50mm. Excellent all day SPORT touring machine. The Gen I FZ1 excels at being one of the best all-around sport tourers, with a slight bias towards sport. No, it doesn't have cup holders or arm rests.

Buy a primo low mileage unit for dirt cheap then add proper mods to customize to your liking. Still a most excellent value.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #17
grommet
kinetic mentality

Mike take a serious look at the FJR. I recently got hotboot's 2005. Even with 70k miles it is a strong, great-running machine. It has suspension upgrades (AK20s up front, Penske rear). I am amazed at how well it handles. I was expecting a workout in the twisties but it may actually be the easiest bike to ride fast I've yet had. Including my 2014 Super Duke. I haven't ridden 2-up with it but even so for me it's been a surprisingly nimble and yet, extremely comfortable machine.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:22 AM   #18
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Lets go riding before you leave. I have a spare bike for you.
RACE ECU|CRG Levers|Red RSV4 Bellypan|GBR/Graves/Woodcraft Protection|Evotech FE|Rhinomoto Barend Mirrors|EBC HH Pads|EVAP delete|LED Lights|R&G CF Tank/Tail sliders|Radiator Guard|PB Airflow Screen|Koso Heated Grips
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP|Ohlins Damper|Ermax/Tecbike Bellypan|Bestem CF Fender|V-stream Screen|Wunderlich Seat|Barend Mirrors|360°+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection|H&B panniers
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM   #19
Wonger

Quote:
I went to a 1 bike only situation a couple years ago. I feel your pain.

There are several bikes out there that can comfortably handle 2up twisty duty. A larger and heavier machine will provide room and comfort that is desirable. They can still romp through the twisties but varying degrees of additional effort will be required. All of them require suspension upgrades if solid performance is desired.

Regarding the wing, they are great machines. And with thousands of dollars of suspension upgrades Yellow Wolf, and others, are able to tame the dragon with them. If touring is on your agenda it is an excellent choice. However, just for weekend runs it would be substantially more machine than necessary IMO. I wouldn't want to wrestle it around. I spent a morning test riding the new 'smaller' wing and it is still a lot of machine for twisty duty.

We recently went through the decision process for a new 2up machine. When you start researching/looking for a ride I will be glad to share some input. I say 'we' because the pillion should be involved to some degree. For example, I liked the S1000 XR but the rear seat and riding position is similar to a sportbike. My pillion would not be comfortable for an all day ride. It's out.

Jake: your bike was stolen?
The Sargent seat with a top case (preferably a wider one with the backrest) works wonders on the XR. My wife is good on the HP tall seat with a top case for an hour or so before a quick leg stretching break. That's better than I'd do on a pillion seat.
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM   #20
glory racing

No doubt bikes can be made better with an aftermarket seat. Over the last 8 bikes I changed seats on all but one. But you know the saying, "If mama aint happy". It was easier, and less expensive, for me to just move on to the next option.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion