register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 09-06-2017, 06:16 AM   #1
Schmitty
Formerly known as CabinBoy

Fuel Drips

Hi all. I have done a search before posting here but turned up nothing, but that could have been just my poor search ability so apologize in advance if there is already a thread covering this somewhere. Due to a few surgeries and medical issues this year my FZ1 has been sitting covered in my garage on a tender since last Nov. I finally was able to get it pulled out the other day but the battery had gone bad even while on tender (it was a cheap knock off from ebay) but it last almost 5 years. Anyway, I got a new battery in yesterday, charged it and this morning the bike fired right up, however I noticed I have fuel dripping from all 4 carb drain ports as well as other openings. I replaced ALL 4 needle O-rings last year when the carbs were apart for cleaning on the advice of the board here so I wouldn't think that would cause this. It seems to drip faster while the bike is running and I guess that makes sense. The bike by the way seems to be running and idling just fine. Seems to be no lose of power or anything, just these drips. So what else could cause this and what should I look for? I'm itching to get out for my first ride as the summer has already passed me by but don't really want to ride with fuel dripping!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170906_074510.jpg (72.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 20170906_074426.jpg (71.6 KB, 147 views)

2001 Yamaha FZ1
2001 Kawasaki ZR7S SOLD
1999 Honda Shadow SOLD
Schmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
isleoman

Not sure what it might be but the fact it's all four has to be related.

Couple dumb questions?
Does it only leak when running?
Did the bike not leak after the carb work?
Did you get much use out of it after carb work?
Is it possible the o rings were not meant for gasoline applications?
Why the two red circles below the drains? Small pics on lap top I'm using.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
grommet
kinetic mentality

Unplug the fuel pump wiring harness.

Use another piece of hose to connect the tank to the fuel filter then to the carbs.

Run as before. If the leaking is reduced or stopped, it's the float valve o-rings. Don't use the same ones you put in last year - they are no good. I have some I can send you, or you can order a bag of 100 from McMaster Carr. Part number 9262K629

The bike will run fine with gravity feed only. The leaking is reduced because the inlet pressure is way less than with the fuel pump. I had this happen out on the road and got back to the stable with gravity only, on very twisty roads with a spirited pace.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Schmitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
Not sure what it might be but the fact it's all four has to be related.

Couple dumb questions?
Does it only leak when running? No, once it's shut off it still drips
Did the bike not leak after the carb work? It did not leak. Carbs were cleaned early last spring and I rode all last spring, summer and fall with no issues
Did you get much use out of it after carb work? see above
Is it possible the o rings were not meant for gasoline applications? O-rings were the ones that were recommended by others on the board. I think Grommet may have given me where he got his and I ordered the same ones.
Why the two red circles below the drains? Small pics on lap top I'm using. Because that is one spot it is dripping from on each of the 4 carbs. I loosened those screws and let some gas drain out and then shut them again thinking that maybe they were loose or just needed to be set again but that didn't help, but the fact the leaks are in other outlets too didn't give me much hope that would work anyway. I also opened the gas cap thinking maybe some how there was some type of pressure built up causing it to push gas out wherever it could but that didn't help - and I really didn't think it would be what the heck...sometimes dumb things will solve and issue.
See above

2001 Yamaha FZ1
2001 Kawasaki ZR7S SOLD
1999 Honda Shadow SOLD
Old 09-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
Schmitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Don't use the same ones you put in last year - they are no good. I have some I can send you, or you can order a bag of 100 from McMaster Carr. Part number 9262K629
Those are the O-rings I used per your suggestion when I did it. I still have a bag of 96 of them!!!

2001 Yamaha FZ1
2001 Kawasaki ZR7S SOLD
1999 Honda Shadow SOLD
Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
grommet
kinetic mentality

oops. lol.

In that case I have no idea.

ps I've sent those same ones to a score of other people. No bad reports so far. Maybe you got a bad batch or something.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
5lv

I had the same problem with an o4, as unlikely as it seems, check the fuel petcock and the spigot where the fuel line connects. Any leak up there will seem like all four carbs. Otherwise bowl gaskets maybe.

5lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
Schmitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
oops. lol.

In that case I have no idea.

ps I've sent those same ones to a score of other people. No bad reports so far. Maybe you got a bad batch or something.
Unless someone else has other ideas I'll dig into it more when I get home from work. I was all excited to get it going this morning and ride to work, only to get all the gear on and then notice the leaks, have to take all the gear off, do those couple of quick things to check it and then jump in the truck to make it to work on time. It just seems odd that all 4 of them would go bad...unless it was a bad bunch of O-rings like you mentioned, but the chances of that seem low to me but who can knows...possibly needing to take the carbs off makes me want to just put it back winter storage mode again!

2001 Yamaha FZ1
2001 Kawasaki ZR7S SOLD
1999 Honda Shadow SOLD
Old 09-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #9
Schmitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lv View Post
I had the same problem with an o4, as unlikely as it seems, check the fuel petcock and the spigot where the fuel line connects. Any leak up there will seem like all four carbs. Otherwise bowl gaskets maybe.
If it was the bowl gaskets though would that not leak through them instead of the drain in the bottom of the bowl and the other outlets? There is nothing leaking out between where those gaskets are. A quick glance under the tank this morning didn't show an issue with the petcock and spigot, but I'll dig into more when I get home after work and take a look at that area again. Thanks!

2001 Yamaha FZ1
2001 Kawasaki ZR7S SOLD
1999 Honda Shadow SOLD
Old 09-06-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
JerseyDiesel

Location: Jersey, Ga a suburb of Loganville outside of Walnut Grove
If it's not the O rings or bowl gaskets, it is not likely trash in all 4 needle seats, so I'm guessing it is the petcock dripping and it only looks like the carbs leak. At least I hope this is what it is. The petcock rebuild kit costs about the same as a new petcock.
JerseyDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
Schmitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDiesel View Post
If it's not the O rings or bowl gaskets, it is not likely trash in all 4 needle seats, so I'm guessing it is the petcock dripping and it only looks like the carbs leak. At least I hope this is what it is. The petcock rebuild kit costs about the same as a new petcock.
Its definitely drips coming out of the carb drains. I dried and wiped everything down when I first noticed it hoping it was coming from a fuel line or something else back up in the system, so the carbs were all dry and the only drips/wet areas were from those, but as mentioned I'll check the petcock again.

2001 Yamaha FZ1
2001 Kawasaki ZR7S SOLD
1999 Honda Shadow SOLD
Old 09-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
grommet
kinetic mentality

The petcock is quite a ways aft of the carbs. If it's leaking, the fuel will be draining down around the airbox.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #13
Schmitty

So I came home and started looking at things. Before I left for work I put a diverter under the carbs to catch any drips and flow them into a container so there wasn't a mess on the bike when I got home. I could tell it had dripped some but there wasn't a lot in the container. So I wiped it all down and fired it up, no drip/leak (It was a pretty steady drip this morning). Let it idle for about 5 minutes, no drip/leak. Took it for a short ride, no drip/leak. So I'm not sure what the heck is going on but as of right now there are no drips/leaks. Maybe the o-rings shrunk a bit sitting but they the bowls had fuel in them so they should not have dried out any...don't know. I'll continue to keep an eye on it but as of right now I guess I'll and keep my fingers crossed.

2001 Yamaha FZ1
2001 Kawasaki ZR7S SOLD
1999 Honda Shadow SOLD
Old 09-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #14
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Maybe you got a tiny bit of trash in one or more needle seats that cleared out. It may also be possible that the actual rubber tip on one or more of the needle valves themselves are deteriorating allowing fuel to seep by.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #15
dschult2

I am definitely no expert on carbs or even know that much about them but it sure sounds like a gasket or ring shrunk a little from sitting and then when you fired the bike up allowed fuel to pass and then swelled up enough to seal again once it was in constant contact with fuel. Like you said if it's not leaking just ride it and monitor.
dschult2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #16
mcequalhp

Anyone have 10 of the Mcmaster o rings that they would like to sell?
Mike
mcequalhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #17
jimco
It's the journey...

PM responded to.

Jim
jimco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #18
Betweentheframe

anyone recommend a source for rebuilt kit for carbs? Am thinking about the KL kit with bowl gasket, needle, seat and O ring, about 18$ per carb on fleabay.
Betweentheframe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues