click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Old 04-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
eskimo619

10 years in storage, tune-up time.

Hey everyone, new to the page as of today. Just picked up a 2003 yamaha fz1 2 days ago from the original owner. It say in a collector car storage facility for the better part of the last 10 years and hasnt been ridden in all that time. Bike looks like It just rolled off the showroom floor with only 3,042 miles. Gas tank was drained by the storage place and looks perfect inside. Not sure if the carbs were drained but I'm sure either way some residual fuel was left in them and they will need some going through.

I already ordered a new yuasa battery that will be in tomorrow. Would it hurt anything to just throw a gallon of gas in the tank and see if it fires up? Or just get on with figuring out the carbs? I usually stick to fuel injection so not super fond of working on carburated bikes especially 4 of them. I've read and already been recommended to have the Ivan's jetkit installed while the carbs are out. Does anyone know how much it costs if I send them to him and have them cleaned and jetkit installed? I'll have to give his shop a call. I'm sure I could do it but would rather someone that really knows what they are doing especially with drilling out some passageways and whatnot. I looked online for a manual and in the carb section it just says bring to dealer for servicing. Are there any good guides for carb removal/install? Maybe video or pictures as well? I'd want things to go smooth as possible with how nice this bike is and not ding anything up.

Bike has a two brothers slip on and I was told by the previous owner carbs weren't messed with and bike ran great. But I'm sure it can run better with what I've read of these jetkits. I know if I bring the bike somewhere the cost will go up quite a bit so would like to do as much myself with removal and install. Aside from the carbs I'll check the air filter once the tank is off. Probably do plugs, and all fluids. Have an oem oil filter on the way already too. And then tires will be last once the bike is sorted out mechanically. It's still on it's original tires which actually look to be in good shape but are still 17 years old. Cant wait to ride this bike.

Last edited by eskimo619; 04-01-2020 at 03:37 PM.
eskimo619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
okrider

Congrats on your new bike, if it were me, I'd change the oil before trying to crank it up, put in the new battery, hit the starter a couple times to cycle the oil up into the engine. Then use starter spray to start it. Wouldn't try to force fluid from the carbs into the engine before I take the carbs apart and go through them..
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
bradd
Working away

Do everything you said and it also has a fuel filter on the right side under the side cover. If they just drained the tank change that. And I would not try to put gas in and start it until you change the filter. Then you might as well, it will give you an idea how bad the carbs are.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
eskimo619

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
Congrats on your new bike, if it were me, I'd change the oil before trying to crank it up, put in the new battery, hit the starter a couple times to cycle the oil up into the engine. Then use starter spray to start it. Wouldn't try to force fluid from the carbs into the engine before I take the carbs apart and go through them..
That's not a bad idea, I originally planned to get it running then do the oil so it would be warm and flow better but probably worth it to get the old oil out or as much as possible. Should I do the filter too or just oil since I'll probably do the oil a second time after its properly up and running? Or just change the oil and filter and that will be sufficient?

I do have a can of starter spray, too bad the filter setup on the gen 1 isnt like the gen2 and has the filter right up top but it's still not too bad to get to set down low and further back. I'll give that a shot to get oil moving around the motor and at least hear it fire.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
Desmo
Worst Moderator Evah!

Personally I'd put the battery in and some gas and see if it fires up. If it does get it warmed up and drain/replace the oil and filter.

My .02
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
eskimo619

So looks like I'll get a new fuel filter, should be able to pick one up at a local automotive store since I didnt think to order one with the battery and oil filter, and a gallon of fresh fuel. I'll see if it fires with starter fluid and then I'll give it a shot with fuel in the tank. Figure a gallon wont be an issue if and when the tank has to come off. Will pick up some oil tomorrow as the battery and oil filter will be in tomorrow at somepoint. Even if it only runs on spray will be nice to hear it roar to life after it's long slumber.

Last edited by eskimo619; 04-01-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
eskimo619

On second thought I'll just order the correct fuel filter so I know it's a perfect fit. I'm sure one would work locally but they arent to pricey OEM. I also pulled the tank and took a look at the air filter, doesnt look to be in bad shape but for $22 can get a new OEM filter. I should have waited and ordered everything at once but jumped the gun and ordered the battery and oil filter yesterday, no biggie though. I'm sure the carb will need some gaskets and orings but I'll worry about that when it comes time to mess with them. Spark plugs and oil can be had locally.

Last edited by eskimo619; 04-01-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
eskimo619

So quick update as I worked on the bike a bit today. Installed the new OEM fuel filter and OEM air filter. Also an oem oil filter and changed the oil with rotella t6. Oil that came out looked new, guessing it was done prior to storage. Drained and flushed the coolant and refilled. Put a gallon of 93 and couple ounces seafoam in the tank. Bike fired up after a few tries with choke. I was very surprised and quite happy that it did start up after as long as it sat. I let it run for a couple minutes to look for any leaks. Brought it outside and let it run a bit longer, with choke on full and even half it runs well. Turn the choke off and it wants to idle very low and almost die unless I play with the theottle. Figured I'd take it up the road just around my side street make sure it wouldnt leave me stranded. It did okay, I left the choke on a little. Brought it back, checked for leaks again. Oil level light was comming on and off, I know this is common on these. I put in the amount the manual calls for plus a couple ounces. Will see how the level looks after it sits overnight. Gas gauge also appeared to not be reading but I may not have hooked up the harness.

Started it back up using half choke and went for a longer ride, did about 10 miles in total and bike goes good for as long as it sat. Once I'm going I can shut the choke off and it rides good, throttle response seems decent. When comming to a stop at a light it wasnt to idle real low still so i play with the throttle or just give it a little choke. Tomorrow I plan to ride a bit more see if it will clear some of the cobwebs. On decel it gets a little poppy but no more than other bikes I've had, not backfiring or puking or anything. I didnt open it up much due to being a little chilly out and didnt want to go crazy with its first ride after its slumber. Also with the old tires didnt want to test them too much but they did grip well.

Would be amazing if I didnt have to pull the carbs, will see how it does after I put a few more miles on it. But already in love with this bike. Its everything I've been told. Comfortable, I'm 5'10" and 185lbs and fits me great. I'm not quite flat footed sitting on it but doesnt feel too big. Feels nimble, brakes work great. And its fast, actually faster than I thought and I didnt even hammer on it. Cant wait to really put some miles on this thing.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:13 AM   #9
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Requiring choke to run/idle says pilot jets are clogged.

While you have the carbs out, replace the float needle valve seat O-rings (hit Search, plenty of info ) as these will surely be hard and ready to leak.

Great buy, BTW ... enjoy!
Old 04-06-2020, 04:21 AM   #10
eskimo619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
Requiring choke to run/idle says pilot jets are clogged.

While you have the carbs out, replace the float needle valve seat O-rings (hit Search, plenty of info ) as these will surely be hard and ready to leak.

Great buy, BTW ... enjoy!
I'm not going to pull the carbs quite yet. It will idle without the choke just a bit low, I'm hoping with a little more run time the seafoam can help clear out whatever may be left in the carbs. For it to even be running the storage place must have drained the tank then run the bike till it died and carbs emptied because I'd have assumed it wouldnt of started at all. So it was a great feeling that it started. I'll see how it does over the next couple days, plan to put a few miles on it since the weather will be really nice. Itching to get on it just writing about it haha.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:36 AM   #11
Falcon 269
Just passing through

If you can get away without removing carbs for a while, that's good. However, those pesky O-rings will be an issue at some point, so if the Seafoam mileage doesn't clear them completely, make sure to do them while you're in there.

Have you tried increasing the idle speed on the adjuster? Set to 1200rpm, a little higher than what the manual says. Helps with pick-up and with oil pressure at idle.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:59 AM   #12
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

If you think there are some stubborn deposits in the carb jets, forget the Seafoam. Find some Berrymans B12. It is quite a bit stronger, just don't let it sit in there for more than a week.

Also, if you do end up going into the carbs, highly recommend breaking the bank apart and replacing all the rubber bits in there. After this many years, they're all shrinking and will leak. It would really suck to replace the common stuff, reinstall, then find there are more leaks.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #13
eskimo619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
If you can get away without removing carbs for a while, that's good. However, those pesky O-rings will be an issue at some point, so if the Seafoam mileage doesn't clear them completely, make sure to do them while you're in there.

Have you tried increasing the idle speed on the adjuster? Set to 1200rpm, a little higher than what the manual says. Helps with pick-up and with oil pressure at idle.
I did try to turn up the idle but it seemed to make it run just a little rougher so I left it alone and used half choke when comming to a stop. I've had good luck with seafoam in the past so hoping a tank run through can get the bike running well.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
eskimo619

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
If you think there are some stubborn deposits in the carb jets, forget the Seafoam. Find some Berrymans B12. It is quite a bit stronger, just don't let it sit in there for more than a week.

Also, if you do end up going into the carbs, highly recommend breaking the bank apart and replacing all the rubber bits in there. After this many years, they're all shrinking and will leak. It would really suck to replace the common stuff, reinstall, then find there are more leaks.
I've heard of berryman B12 but never used before. I've had good luck with seafoam in the past and it's already in the tank so going to run it and see how it does. Just in the short ride yesterday I noticed it run a little better as I went.

If the carbs do come out I will have all the rubber replaced. Definitely want to do it right. As well as have an Ivan's jetkit installed at the same time.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #15
eskimo619

Another update, rode about 20 miles today total. Bike started right up again with choke, let it warm up and took off. Shut the choke off once I was going. First red light I hit came to a stop and bike was idling much better than yesterday. Sitting around 1000rpms, decent throttle response and gets up and goes pretty well from a stop now. Hit the highway to open it up a little really get the fuel flowing and damn does it get up to high speeds quick lol. Guess it's been a while since I've been on a fast bike. So already in 2 days its running much better and everything feels smooth. I've never ridden one of these prior to this one so I can't say for sure if its completely good to go or not. But it's more than rideable as is. Also topped off the oil and no more oil light comming on and off like yesterday. Bike is an absolute blast. Having to resize photos absolutely kills the quality lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage-1.jpg (252.7 KB, 117 views)
Old 04-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #16
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Gorgeous! (I hope you're not ripping too hard if you haven't yet put on new tires!)
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #17
okrider

I'm wondering if adding some seafoam in the gas tank would help clean up the carburetors.. I'm not well versed in the benefits of it, maybe someone else can chime in
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #18
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
I'm wondering if adding some seafoam in the gas tank would help clean up the carburetors.. I'm not well versed in the benefits of it, maybe someone else can chime in
I think he's using it.

IME, the Seafoam seems to improve things over the course of a couple weeks. It seems running alternating between running some gas through (i.e. during a ride) and letting the spiked gas soak in the carbs overnight while not running does the trick.

I'm interested to hear if any rubber components, gaskets, seals etc develop leaks over the next few weeks and months. Hopefully all remains well and the seemingly careful indoor storage has paid off!
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #19
eskimo619

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFZ1guy View Post
Gorgeous! (I hope you're not ripping too hard if you haven't yet put on new tires!)
I've gotten on it a little bit but taking it real easy on the turns. The outer layer is wearing off and revealing some better condition rubber underneath but I need to have them replaced. Not much for shops open so may be tough getting them replaced until the craziness settles down and places open back up. I did go much to fast on the highway today though lol.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #20
eskimo619

Quote:
Quote:
I think he's using it.

IME, the Seafoam seems to improve things over the course of a couple weeks. It seems running alternating between running some gas through (i.e. during a ride) and letting the spiked gas soak in the carbs overnight while not running does the trick.

I'm interested to hear if any rubber components, gaskets, seals etc develop leaks over the next few weeks and months. Hopefully all remains well and the seemingly careful indoor storage has paid off!
I do have several ounces of seafoam in the tank and have run the bike 30 miles so far. Definetly running better today than it did yesterday and actually idling properly on it's own so the pilot circuit must be in alright shape. I've got maybe 2 gallons in the tank although the fuel gauge was reading real low and light came on, maybe I have less in than I think. But I'll rock this tank till it runs low and hope the seafoam keeps doing its thing. As of now no leaks of any kind that I can tell. Hoping the rubber bits in the carbs hold up. Bike was definitely stored properly which is awesome. I do plan to service the exup valve tomorrow, I read they come dry fitted from the factory and can sometimes get sticky even at low miles especially when they sit. Just need to pick up some copper grease. Bike has been easy to work on as of now. Excited to get more familiar with it.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance