click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 08-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #41
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

The mark has moved over time in terms of compression ratio. Optimization of combustion chamber etc.

87 with 5-10% ethanol (in all octane levels round here) for the last couple decades hasn't grenaded my vehicles or peace of mind.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #42
Fozzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
If you ride enough to keep fresh fuel running through the system, there's no gain in spending more than that what 87 E10 costs. Zero.
Well for one, better fuel economy. Ethanol mixed fuels don't go as far. I'm just gonna call it quits on this thread. Everyone has their own beliefs and what I've found is for the majority, people only want what they believe as true to well, be true. I have my own real world experiences with many different types of fuels in many different types of engines.

Key things is, get out on your bike and have some fun. Cheers 🍻
Fozzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #43
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Blue View Post
If you don’t, the gains are huge, IMO. Ethanol sucks. Corn is for eating.
I may be the lone Gen I owner with OEM carbs that haven't been attacked by corn. Nor my weed-eaters, blowers, 12 year old Honda push mower, 32 year old JD rider, or well never mind. No sense looking in the mouth of the gift horse. Lucky is good.

Seriously, I don't have any ethanol related issues. As long as we're not talking bourbon anyway.

I have been running pre-mixed fuel in all the new Stihl equipment though. Simply for the pure convenience of not having to mix it up myself, plus it requires high octane which my other gas powered stuff doesn't. That would be even more inconvenient keeping various fuel grades around.

I'll also keep running 87 E10 in the FZ since the horsepower is there, and the cost per mile is lower than other fuels. Over 200 miles per tank is excellent.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #44
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Quote:
I may be the lone Gen I owner with OEM carbs that haven't been attacked by corn. Nor my weed-eaters, blowers, 12 year old Honda push mower, 32 year old JD rider, or well never mind. No sense looking in the mouth of the gift horse. Lucky is good.

Seriously, I don't have any ethanol related issues. As long as we're not talking bourbon anyway.

I have been running pre-mixed fuel in all the new Stihl equipment though. Simply for the pure convenience of not having to mix it up myself, plus it requires high octane which my other gas powered stuff doesn't. That would be even more inconvenient keeping various fuel grades around.

I'll also keep running 87 E10 in the FZ since the horsepower is there, and the cost per mile is lower than other fuels. Over 200 miles per tank is excellent.
I stand corrected. Corn is also for drinking.
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #45
oldjeep

Quote:

You are not the only one that has no E10 issues. I store over 100 gallons of fuel with no additional stabilizer in seasonal power equipment, boats, snowmobiles, cars, bikes, etc and have not had any fuel related issues. Park them with whatever is in the tank and start them up the next season. E10 has been a fact for 25 years in MN and the fuel related issues that people seem to have is related to buying gas with water/crap in it already - not some magical issue that the alcohol causes.
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #46
sloowpoke

Yep, I really appreciate not having to buy a pint of ethanol to add to the gas in winter, when I go north. Of course, now that I've outlived all my northern friends, that's no longer a problem :-)
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #47
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy1 View Post
Well for one, better fuel economy. Ethanol mixed fuels don't go as far.
Well that’s partially true, but lower octane fuels are more efficient. Ideally, you would run the lowest grade fuel possible, while still avoiding detonation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy1 View Post
Key things is, get out on your bike and have some fun. Cheers 🍻
I can get behind that
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #48
fermic37

I don’t thing mr fozzy boys mind is going to be changed. Time to drop the topic.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:50 AM   #49
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
I don’t thing mr fozzy boys mind is going to be changed. Time to drop the topic.
I figured out long ago you can't change someone's mind, only promote thought and desire to know more so they figure it out for themselves. When I read incorrect information that may lead others astray, especially if it is bullshit that is held as true only because it is popular but still incorrect, I tend to post in hopes of actually helping someone.

Still, I am wrong on occasion. Sue me.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #50
longeze

Quote:
..you can't change someone's mind, only promote thought and desire to know more so they figure it out for themselves. When I read incorrect information that may lead others astray, especially if it is bullshit that is held as true only because it is popular but still incorrect, I tend to post in hopes of actually helping someone..
Right on point! When the bullshit is on an octane(or exup) thread, it doesn't matter much. But when someone is in real trouble - with their tit in a wringer and without the knowledge to separate bullshit from fact, that's when the bullshit needs to be called out directly for what it is. Nothing worse than being fed up & frustrated with a broken machine or a pile of parts in front of you, then getting bad advice that makes it 10X worse than where you started, because you followed it. I think we've all been there.

Still, I am wrong on occasion. Sue me.

Last edited by longeze; 08-10-2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Brevity
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #51
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Pot meet kettle. Everybody loves the smell of their own brand of bullshit.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #52
longeze

I'll defer to your expertise on that. At least my "bullshit" has hard data to back it up.
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #53
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Oh settle down, y’all acting like children!
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #54
glory racing

Quote:
...especially if it is bullshit that is held as true only because it is popular
Welcome to the interwebs!
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance