click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 08-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #21
Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcusmc View Post
I have test ridden and wanted to love the bike but engine buzz killed it for me. It's there and would be hard to dial out.

Best,
Ron
Thanks Ron, appreciate your feedback here. I guess I'm just tripping out, that it's almost 2020, I'm riding an almost 15 year old carbureted bike, and having a hard time finding something that really beats it.
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #22
Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer5280 View Post
Suzuki GSX-S. No cruise control, though.

Triumph Speed Triple?
LOVE the speed triple. But honestly it's quite one dimensional (to me). No wind protection would rule that bike out for me. Really dig it though!
Old 08-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #23
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
... like I said a sport touring bike without cc is no Bueno for me...
Same goes for the Kawasaki Concours 14. I like that bike but lack of cc turns me off.
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125 ("track" bike )
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:10 AM   #24
rdcusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
Thanks Ron, appreciate your feedback here. I guess I'm just tripping out, that it's almost 2020, I'm riding an almost 15 year old carbureted bike, and having a hard time finding something that really beats it.
I am in exactly the same boat but I am not fighting it. My FZ as you probably know is extensively modded with the 07 R1 forks, 140 rwhp, Penske, GOEC, large fuel tank, Givi luggage, etc... I think the bike is brilliant. The carbs don't bother me because they work so well. I'd love FI for the no worries start, etc... but my carbs are smooth as silk and return excellent fuel mileage. I can't find anything else that combines the power, economy, range, comfort or versatility of this bike. And the price can't be beat.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:02 AM   #25
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcusmc View Post
I am in exactly the same boat but I am not fighting it. My FZ as you probably know is extensively modded with the 07 R1 forks, 140 rwhp, Penske, GOEC, large fuel tank, Givi luggage, etc... I think the bike is brilliant. The carbs don't bother me because they work so well. I'd love FI for the no worries start, etc... but my carbs are smooth as silk and return excellent fuel mileage. I can't find anything else that combines the power, economy, range, comfort or versatility of this bike. And the price can't be beat.

Best,
Ron
Same boat here. I'm currently trying to find a Concours 14 to ride. I've had the Concours itch for a couple of years now. I found one locally to try out at a dealer, but it has a horrible seat on it and I didn't want the seat to spoil the ride. The search will continue.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #26
FUP
I crashed the swing too

I installed electronic cruise to my 2006 FJR and it was no big deal.
It makes it easier if the bike has ABS (to read speed) but that can be worked around also.
The cost was less than $150.00. It truly does spoil you ---
ATK 605SM
WR450
FUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #27
RIDER1

Ninja 1000 is 518 Lbs wet, heavier than a Gen I FZ1. 2nd gen FZ1 is 485 Lbs, something to consider anyways
RIDER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #28
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER1 View Post
Ninja 1000 is 518 Lbs wet, heavier than a Gen I FZ1. 2nd gen FZ1 is 485 Lbs, something to consider anyways
But it feels 30# lighter than a Gen1 when riding it.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #29
KBay84

When my 2010 FZ1 got stolen out of my garage in a break in, I went looking for a replacement. Was not happy at all with the FZ-10, and after some research, went with a brand new in crate 2017 Ninja 1000 ABS. Outside of the fact that I had to get a custom seat so I could get my feet down, I love it. All the electric gizmos and bottom/mid umph that the FZ-1 never had, and in a useable range. I got the factory hard bags added on last year and did a nice ride from Yuma, Az up to Billings, Mt and my buddy who lives up there took me to Beartooth, Chief Joseph, and then out west to the Missoula area. I see that some folks say there's engine buzz, but I have not had that experience. Having the three power settings is very nice 3 for wet conditions, 2 which I use for around town and slab, and 1 for some peel your eyelids back solid acceleration. Traction control, wheelie control...and a 5 gallon gas tank. On the way home from that trip, the last leg I did just moderately over the speed limit, and got home with 186.4 miles on the tank, and 22 indicated miles left.Hands and feet never went numb from vibrations like would happen with the FZ from time to time. It actually has a hole plumbed in the fairing in the cockpit and wiring already in place so you can install a USB port, I bought a RAM cell phone holder, so no extra GPS needed.

So....my dos centavos.

[IMG]098 by Paul Steinhoff, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]100 by Paul Steinhoff, on Flickr[/IMG]

“Try to fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not prove they are a citizen.”

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum
KBay84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #30
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Good to read a positive review.
That exhaust tho...
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125 ("track" bike )
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #31
KBay84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
Good to read a positive review.
That exhaust tho...
I know, it sounds shweet, but it's the next mod, it's gotta go. One can on the right side. Yosh has a nice full system, and from what I read I won't even need a reflash to swap it out.

“Try to fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not prove they are a citizen.”

Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #32
KBay84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMttiNVMbho&t=243s

Old 08-13-2019, 09:53 PM   #33
killer5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
But it feels 30# lighter than a Gen1 when riding it.
Yes, but it's not.
My Gen 1 feels super light and responsive, although I know what it weighs.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:35 AM   #34
Wonger

Quote:
Yes, but it's not.
You'll lose 14 of those pounds with the aforementioned Yosh single-sided exhaust. ABS, Traction control and mounting points and support for luggage are worth the additional 15 or so pounds to me.
The Ninja was definitely on my short list when getting rid of the FZ10.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #35
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Yes, but it's not.
Mine doesn't feel heavy, and I've ridden lighter bikes that felt heavier. Wolfpen gap is still fun on this bike, although a sumo really rips in tight stuff.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #36
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Quote:
Yes, but it's not.
2011 Ninja weighs 503# wet, which is less than a Gen1. My neighbor and riding partner has 2 CF cans that weigh 2# each on his, so drop another 12# off the the 503#.
Feeling is subjective, the way it rides is not. My Gen1 is properly set up and well suspended and his N1K makes a Gen1 feel like a slow steering fuel tanker, and that is with stock suspension dialed in for his weight.

The vibes is a deal killer for me, maybe I'm more sensitive about it than most, but it is pretty bad on his bike. When the 2015 Versys 1000 came out(same engine), the vibes from the engine kept me from buying that bike and pushed me to the FJ-09.

To update more on the vibes, I have another friend that works at a dealership that just purchased a 2018 N1K, he says the vibes aren't bad at all on his bike. Maybe I'll get with the neighbor and see what we can do about his particular issue.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #37
organ donor

When ever someone starts splitting hairs over the weight of bikes I always wonder how much the rider in question weighs.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #38
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Quote:
When ever someone starts splitting hairs over the weight of bikes I always wonder how much the rider in question weighs.
I know right! I was pointing out how it feels and could really not give two shits how much it actually weighs.

Back to vibes....it appears that Kawi added a secondary balancer to the crankshaft in 2017 to quell engine vibes. Appears to have worked according to what I have read.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #39
KBay84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
I know right! I was pointing out how it feels and could really not give two shits how much it actually weighs.

Back to vibes....it appears that Kawi added a secondary balancer to the crankshaft in 2017 to quell engine vibes. Appears to have worked according to what I have read.
Guess I got lucky with the 2017, then. Good thing my FZ-1 didn't get stolen in 2016!

Even with the hard bags packed for a 9 day trip, it didn't feel like it was a hog wallowing in the mud, and I'm not a tall guy by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #40
Gorilla

Quote:
Buzzy at 5k-6k rpm and no cruise control caused me to walk away which is a shame since that engine is a gem.
Also, what year did you ride? I've heard that the latest version (2017 and later) had some improvements...

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion