click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 05-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #21
arkie6

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyone View Post
Had to have a look today. Here's a new video of current status:
https://youtu.be/lj7wqua6ato
That is obviously leaking from the bowl drain. You might have a cracked bowl. In the past, other's here have cautioned against tightening those drain screws too tight or you could crack the bowl in that area. I'm not sure if that is the case here, but you are definitely going to have to pull those carbs and see why that bowl drain is leaking.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #22
energyone

That makes sense to me. The nature of the fuel leakage has changed substantially from the first video, to the second video.

The theory I'm currently considering is this: if o-rings do swell slightly with exposure to automotive fuel, then perhaps leaving the drain bowls empty and open over the winter caused the fuel inlet o-rings to stop sealing effectively; and when they were exposed to fuel for the last 2 weeks, perhaps they came back into effective sealing condition--hence the massive leakage of 2 weeks ago stopped.

I may well have damaged the float bowl when initially re-tightening the drain screws, or perhaps when replacing the carb parts 2 weeks ago. I'll check for any apparent cracks, and also to see if the bowl holds fuel, when I next pull the carbs.

If the bowl is indeed cracked, rus23 had a post from 3/11/12 (http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=120216) that makes pro seal aircraft fuel tank sealant (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ages/ps890.php) look like a good choice for sealing the bowl. I'd gladly buy a new #3 carb bowl if they were available.

If the bowl is cracked, my 2 primary concerns with a sealant are: 1) adhesion--some forum members have noted that the coating on the float bowls my inhibit adhesion; and 2) longevity of the sealant, particularly when exposed to fuel. Some members have cautioned that JB Weld, for instance, might not be good over the long haul. If anyone knows of a sealant besides pro seal that looks like a good choice, I'd love to hear about it. I don't want anything that would corrode and foul the jets, nor fail to seal effectively for the long haul.

I won't be touching the drain screws again regardless, due to the troubles others have noted previously.
energyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #23
arkie6

If the bowl is cracked, I would try to find a used bowl or set of carbs. Someone on the forum here might have what you need. If you can't find one, I would try JB Weld.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #24
energyone

Resolution

Thank you all who responded to my initial inquiry to help guide me along in resolving the carb leaks I was experiencing!

It seems that there were 2 different issues, as the nature of the leaking was so vastly different from the first video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYAa...ature=youtu.be ) to the second video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj7w...ature=youtu.be).

I didn't realize o-rings might need to moisten up and expand, but that seems to be the case with most of the leaking in the first video. I think the o-rings along the pathway from the fuel inlet to each of the 4 carbs needed to expand, hence the change from the massive leaking from all 4 carbs (video 1) to the leak from only float bowl 3 (video 2). Big shout out to Ron at rdcusmc for opening my eyes to this possibility.

Yup, I did crack float bowl 3. I'm surprised that I did, as I was having a mind not to over-torque the drain screws when closing them back up.

A Denver bike salvage shop had the goods: a carb bank from another '02 for a reasonable price ($125). Not cheap, but I'm rich in extra carb parts now, and I've been planning on keeping this bike a good while.

I don't intend to ever drain the float bowls again. I thought I was being wise in doing so, but think otherwise now.

This is how I feel now:

My daughter is going to be stoked when she gets home and finds out tonight!

I also feel like I could be on a carb pulling pit crew now: got my removal/installation time way down, and am learning hacks to make it go much more smoothly.

Many thanks to all who responded to the initial mayday call!

Tom
energyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #25
rdcusmc

Tom
Thanks for the props but I really didn’t offer much more than a little common sense. Super happy this worked out for you and that you were back on the road. Keep the shiny side up!

Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues