click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 07-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #201
Allan P.

Very nice
Old 03-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #202
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Spring has sprung and a geezer's fancy turns to thoughts of roads racing. Or making meat helmets.

Regardless, here's some great news. One of the all time greats Bruce Anstey has battled back from cancer and got back on the track today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZqzzQbbmIw
Old 03-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #203
Racer Boy
I'm married to a Norwegian!

Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #204
Allan P.

I was a bit slow to see this post but it's great news.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #205
gotfz1

TT time is coming. But before that there's the Northwest 200. US rider Patricia Fernandez, who Allan P and I got to meet last year, is going to be riding her first Northwest 200 and BBC interviewed her:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/north...eland/48283375

In the paddock at last year's Ulster GP

Last edited by gotfz1; 05-15-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typos
gotfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #206
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

Love that picture!

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #207
Allan P.

I love that picture too and wish there were more American's and more women riders like Patricia in the sport.

The NW200 is a cool race. Looking at it on a map the course seems a bit bland, but its bumpy, very fast and having a good drafting strategy is vital. The final dash from Metropole to the finish line is hilly, fast, blind and slippery, and it takes real guts to make a winning pass. Wish I was there
Old 05-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #208
Fitty

Some cable channel, NBC Sports maybe, used to carry the NW200 on a delay, but I haven't found it in the upcoming listings yet. Maybe it will show up.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #209
gotfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
Some cable channel, NBC Sports maybe, used to carry the NW200 on a delay, but I haven't found it in the upcoming listings yet. Maybe it will show up.
CBS Sports Network (CBSSN) had a repackaged/delayed series of UK road races called "Real Road Racing" for a couple years that included the NW200. Unfortunately even with DirecTV (which I no longer have) it would rarely record properly because for some reason it would show up with different titles from week to week. Some of them came up as "Bicycle racing". If you have CBSSN you might want to look through the listings. But they were delayed months.

With the NW200 BBC Northern Ireland does live coverage some days, and I've been able to stream it live online for free. Can't recall if I had to use my VPN or not. And, of course, time difference, but if you're up early worth a shot: https://www.northwest200.org/nw200-r...ing-listening/

The BBC packaged highlight shows will be on in UK 17th-26th, I'll often just snag a torrent of those after the fact.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #210
Fitty

Thanks! I remember I previously found them by accident, because the weren't labeled correctly in the guide.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #211
Allan P.

GotFZ1 and I sat in the stands with Horst Saiger's family and team at the NW200 a couple of years ago. We never actually spoke with Horst but it was great to see the involvement of his family and frends and since then its been fun following his progress. I'll be following him at the NW200 this year too, and even got myself a Twitter account to do it

GotFZ1 and I wanted to find a way of staying closer to real roads racing and as an experiment, I've been coordinating a small sponsorship for a rider in this years IOMTT. The rider is called Sam Johnson who will compete in both Supersport races with #63. Sam has a solid racing background including successes in the Irish Nationals but is a relative newcomer to the TT. He did actually enter the TT last year but equipment failures reduced him to only 5-practice laps and DNF's in both of the Supersport races he entered.

He has a whole new team and new equipment this year, but just like all of the other privateers, money is really tight. The TT is very expensive and as one example of this, Sam will get through 5-6 sets of tires for the event.

Finishing in midfield would be a huge accomplishment given his lack of experience but I think he would settle for an actual finish. The cash support was raised from members of a track organization here in the US called the Texas Motorcycle Academy and Sam will have one of their logo's on his bike. This will be a learning experience for me but it's already becoming apparent that help in the US other than with cash could also be very valuable. I leave for the Isle of Man tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

Here's a picture of Sam at the Armoy races in Northern Ireland last year.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:11 AM   #212
gotfz1

Live streaming of the Northwest 200

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/north...eland/48187693
Old 05-18-2019, 06:37 AM   #213
Allan P.

Doesn't sound good. I'm not there but racing in weather that bad is risky.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:00 AM   #214
gotfz1

The folks at start/finish say they can see Donegal now, time to go racing
Old 05-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #215
gotfz1

Jonny Rea is there... wonder if Bautista's seat is better? ;)

Old 05-19-2019, 04:18 AM   #216
Allan P.

No win for the We Wizard this year but good wins for Lee Johnson in Supersport and Jeremy McWilliams in Supertwins.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:46 AM   #217
gotfz1

TT practice and qualifying has been underway this week but severely limited due to weather. Because of that the first race day has been pushed back from tomorrow to Sunday. Tomorrow will be practice and qualifying.

In the US Motor Trend TV coverage is scheduled to begin with highlight shows Saturday 8p pacific.

There's also live audio streaming at manxradio.com. Today's afternoon practice was cancelled for weather. They'll try again this evening at 6:20pm BST (GMT+1).

When you do get video keep an eye out for Allan who is there as a marshal this year
Old 06-02-2019, 07:21 AM   #218
gotfz1

After days of bad weather quali is a GO! Sidecars on the course now.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:52 AM   #219
Allan P.

The TT is over for another year. Poor weather for almost the whole of practice and race week so the number of laps in both was severely reduced..

I took one day off but did the rest of the two weeks as a course marshal. Marshall's are not allowed to use cameras during the events so not many pictures. They do get to stand right on the corners and other critical parts of the course however, so I have some spectacular memories to take home.

If you ever get to come to the TT you should consider doing a few days of marshal's duty. There is a lot to learn but it helps the event to take place and your time spent with a lot of other people who have been part of the TT for decades is priceless.

One of my marshaling poss was Cronk-y-Voddy. Bikes pass this post flat out in 6th gear and very, very close to the edge of the road where you stand. The marshal's have a number of jobs, such as keeping the spectators from getting clipped by a rider, but they also have another really hair raising duty. During the sidecar event, one of them has to turn his back to the passing bikes 3-4 ft away and watch the outfits as they head towards the next bend to make sure they have not lost their passenger. It does happen and sometimes they are not aware of it which could be a problem going round the next inside bend. If a passenger is missing, this is radioed to the next post and the sidecar driver is black-flagged.

The marshals do this duty in short shifts because it goes against every instinct you have to stand with your back to a bike screaming past flat out at arms length

I mentioned in an earlier about sponsoring a young rider called Sam Johnson. He only manage a few practice laps because of the weather but completed the first shortened supersport race also in bad conditions. He also got to race in the second supersport event which fortunately took place in better weather. Sadly he did not finish this one going out of the race on the second lap due to a failed tire.

Many riders had similar stories to tell this year, but Sam did complete an IOMTT and had the medal to prove it. These are a few pics of him in the event.

Sam on the start line, total concentration.

The clutch is out and the race is underway at last.

A professional photo of Sam entering Creg-ny-Baa where GotFZ1 and I watched from the last time.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:25 AM   #220
fermic37

two of my friends went over for their anniversary.

watching all their fb posts made me quite envious

https://www.motorcycle.com/features/...019-10-meeders
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion