register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #21
Sam9

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
Yes this is the case on my Kubota they are bushings not bearings but I didn't know that you can over grease bearings. I wonder how the extra grease makes them fail.
Bushings, or something like universal joints with boots?

You can definitely over grease bearings. Too much grease = increase in friction = increased heat. People naturally think that more is better and want to pump in an extra shot or two. Lol
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #22
organ donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Mine might be bigger than hers.

No, I didn't mean my man boobs.

Dammit, if you would have taken the time to put on the same outfit you would have been a forum board legend, the greatest American ever, and my personal hero. I'm not sure what that says about me, but let's leave that to a professional mental health expert.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:28 AM   #23
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam9 View Post
Bushings, or something like universal joints with boots?

You can definitely over grease bearings. Too much grease = increase in friction = increased heat. People naturally think that more is better and want to pump in an extra shot or two. Lol
Well until this moment I was one of those people. Thank you once again!

I think they are still called bearings at least I call them that but they are just a shaft or pin going through a sleeve fit into the joint. Think of KY Jelly for tractors.

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:40 AM   #24
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
All I ask..... is just for 1 ride.
Neanderthal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:30 AM   #25
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
Dammit, if you would have taken the time to put on the same outfit you would have been a forum board legend, the greatest American ever, and my personal hero. I'm not sure what that says about me, but let's leave that to a professional mental health expert.
My jorts are at the cleaners.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #26
longeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
..a regular grease gun gives you a feel for what is happening, whether you are square on the fitting, or whether it's coming out around the fitting...
I love power tools, but I'm with you on this. There are those instances though, where I find I'm balancing the hand gun on 1 knee, holding the hose on the zirk with 1 hand and trying to work the pump with the other, wishing I had one of those powered guns or a pnuematic gun.

I feel your pain Quazz. It's a total PITA going around the machines before I can get to being productive. For me, I think the worst of it is the mess cleaning all the fittings without getting on my hands or clothes which it seems is inevitable.
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #27
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by longeze View Post
I love power tools, but I'm with you on this. There are those instances though, where I find I'm balancing the hand gun on 1 knee, holding the hose on the zirk with 1 hand and trying to work the pump with the other, wishing I had one of those powered guns or a pnuematic gun.

I feel your pain Quazz. It's a total PITA going around the machines before I can get to being productive. For me, I think the worst of it is the mess cleaning all the fittings without getting on my hands or clothes which it seems is inevitable.
Do they make something to keep gear oil from running down your arm to your armpit? Thatís about the worst vehicle chore I can think of.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #28
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by longeze View Post
For me, I think the worst of it is the mess cleaning all the fittings without getting on my hands or clothes which it seems is inevitable.
Yeah it can't be done. I put on my overalls and latex glosve unless I am being an idiot which happens too often. "This time I will be really careful" lol

Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #29
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Do they make something to keep gear oil from running down your arm to your armpit? Thatís about the worst vehicle chore I can think of.
I just had a hydraulic hose break on the backhoe of my tractor and one connection it was underneath and the only inaccessible spot on the whole tractor. I was on my back in the mud in the pouring rain with water and hydraulic fluid dripping on my face by putting them in a place where one hand would be cramped while I scraped my hands with two wrenches no less. The worst of it is that it was my fault. I saw that the hose was rubbing for the last year or so and kept telling myself that I would do something about it but I didn't and as soon as it started leaking the rain came. I can't wait for my mechanic girl preferably robotic with a mute switch and an on/off.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #30
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
If I have to reach up and do something where oil is going to run down my arm, I tie a shop rag around my arm tourniquet style. Sometimes I'll stick a rag into the sleeve of my t-shirt for backup as well.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #31
longeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
.."This time I will be really careful" lol
It's almost like a testimonial at an addiction meeting(raising hand now to testify..)

Quote:
It's the worst - for sure! I hate it most when it gushes out unexpectedly & goes down the side of your ribs - lol. Ahhh good times... good times.. Then you have to walk around & work with an uncomfortable oil soaked shirt the rest of the day.. serving as stinking testimony to your own idiocy -ugh!

I finally wised up and learned to keep my hand/wrist bowed up, fingers down when removing the plugs. If I have to use a wrench I keep my hand on the topside of that.

Yours in oily sludge,

Capt. Obvious..
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #32
slammermd
Where's my pirating outfit?

Quazz is cheating!

My dad made me grease his old International tractor as a kid. There was something so satisfying about finding the point and then pumping until it was full. Like popping a zit.
slammermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #33
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammermd View Post
Quazz is cheating!

My dad made me grease his old International tractor as a kid. There was something so satisfying about finding the point and then pumping until it was full. Like popping a zit.
I cheat whenever possible. You still get that zit popping satisfaction with the electric grease gun but you can be a bit farther away and don't have to pump it. It is still a shit job but if you cheat the shit is of less duration. Some still like to give truckers and hand job (see LS comment above) but it is not my bag, baby.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #34
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Mine might be bigger than hers.

No, I didn't mean my man boobs.

You're holding it wrong.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #35
organ donor

I noticed that too, but I didn't want to say anything to upset a man with his big ass tool in hand.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #36
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

I’ve got her beat on wrench size easy, one day at work I found a 6.5ft long 4.5inch open end wrench for tightening ammonia line coupling bolts.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion