click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance

Old 05-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
AFM674
Getting into turn 4 at Sonoma

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
All good now...thanks guys.Mystery starting problem

My 09' has 15k and has never giving me any problems. It's been starting almost immediately upon hitting starter button. Never needed to hold the starter button more than a few seconds max. So the other day I took it for a spin like I do every few weeks and it started right up no problem. Got back and decided to disconnect my Shorai negative cable until I rode it again in a few weeks.

Went out yesterday and hooked it up for a quick ride...small spark when connecting to battery terminal...I've done this many times and I'm told it's no biggie as long as you not hitting the frame or something with the lead. So I'm told by Shorai that when you first turn on the ignition it's best to wait a few seconds after headlight come on to hit the starter button. I think this is more for really cold weather and gives the battery it's best cranking power. They even said these batteries get more power on the second try if you hit the starter for a few seconds and it doesn't start right up do to really cold conditions etc. The battery warms a little and generates more cranking power...yada yada yada.

Anyway I for some reason thought I would turn the kill switch off and just give it a short crank over. I thought it would crank as much or as long as you held the starter down. I'm no idiot...I wasn't going to keep it turning for more than 1 maybe 2 seconds just to give the battery a little wake up. Well when I hit the button with kill off it just did a really quick mini turn of the motor...it seemed weird to me. I thought the motor would keep turning when kill is off...know that I'm thinking about it this is probably a normal thing. I turn kill switchback on and hit the starter button and the motor is cranking for an unusual amount of time and isn't starting. I try again and crank it for way longer than it's ever took...she finally fires up and is idling high like it always does. I let it warm for a few seconds...then as usual I put it in gear and proceed down the block to let it warm up more...don't let pissing off my neighbors.

I've done this many times before...well when I let the clutch out a little it dies real quick and sudden...then won't restart again...I had crank it for longer than normal a few time...finally starts up. I decide to go ahead with my short ride. As I'm riding in traffic I notice it's acting a little funny at idle and when I go to let the clutch out it felt like it was going to quit on me...this isn't normal...I know my bike. I take it home and leave it idling in the driveway while I go to open my garage. I wanted to see if it would stay idling. I came out and it wasn't running.

I know we have some extremely knowledgeable members on this forum...so I'm asking for ideas as to what may have happened after a simple negative battery disconnect?

I'm thinking it threw off something in the tps or something like that. Strange it would idle and was hard to start. It ran pretty good when I was on the freeway going through the gears. Help...I need my beloved FZ1 back in action for some summer fun. Thanks Fizzers. Cheers!

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.

Last edited by AFM674; 05-22-2019 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Problem solved...changed title to main thread
AFM674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Disconnecting the battery does nothing to the ECU, your problem almost certainly is unrelated.

That said, there is no way the engine should crank with the engine run switch turned to "off". That switch kills power to the starter cut-off relay assembly, which is where the starter button gets power to activate the starter solenoid.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Disconnecting the battery does nothing to the ECU, your problem almost certainly is unrelated.

That said, there is no way the engine should crank with the engine run switch turned to "off". That switch kills power to the starter cut-off relay assembly, which is where the starter button gets power to activate the starter solenoid.
Yep.

When I had issues with my #3 coil I had long crank issues, and it finally started but not running on all 4.

You check for codes? Mine sometimes throws a 19 and 20
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
AFM674

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Quote:

Thanks...I bet if I hadn't disconnected the battery or turned off the kill switch and turned the starter a little it would be fine...so WTF happened? I guess it's time to do some debugging with my mechanic when I get back in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Yep.

When I had issues with my #3 coil I had long crank issues, and it finally started but not running on all 4.

I have no check engine or anything on the dash. I have Rich or maybe Crazy Biker will help me with this. Thanks Michael

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
AFM674

Quote:

Well, I feel like an idiot...good news though...she's running like a champ again. So I have a Annitori QS shifter and it has a pos & neg connectors. My QS was working great at my last trackday. One day I was riding and I realized my shifter wasn't working anymore...I thought that maybe some how the connection was lost when I left it sitting for a long time. But the other day when I said I disconnected the negative...I was pretty darn sure the QS negative wasn't hooked up to the main negative terminal. Anyway...the qs neg cable was not hooked up when I was trying to start it. The funny thing is that it actually started with this not connected. It ran good once I was going, but acted funny at low idle and when letting the clutch out. I'm going to call the guy at Annitori and see what he says. She's ripping now...that's all that counts.

09' FZ1
Old 05-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Yep.

It wasn't the coils...it was my silly oversight.

Well, I feel like an idiot...good news though...she's running like a champ again. So I have a Annitori QS shifter and it has a pos & neg connectors. My QS was working great at my last trackday. One day I was riding and I realized my shifter wasn't working anymore...I thought that maybe some how the connection was lost when I left it sitting for a long time. But the other day when I said I disconnected the negative...I was pretty darn sure the QS negative wasn't hooked up to the main negative terminal. Anyway...the qs neg cable was not hooked up when I was trying to start it. The funny thing is that it actually started with this not connected. It ran good once I was going, but acted funny at low idle and when letting the clutch out. I'm going to call the guy at Annitori and see what he says. She's ripping now...that's all that counts.

09' FZ1
Old 05-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
sloowpoke

> I'm told by Shorai that when you first turn on the ignition it's best to wait a few seconds
> after headlight come on to hit the starter button.

I question the validity of that advice. Just turning on the ignition switch doesn't turn on my headlight. My headlight comes on after the engine starts.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:49 PM   #8
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloowpoke View Post
> I'm told by Shorai that when you first turn on the ignition it's best to wait a few seconds
> after headlight come on to hit the starter button.

I question the validity of that advice. Just turning on the ignition switch doesn't turn on my headlight. My headlight comes on after the engine starts.
Same. Also a power commander draws its power from the fuel pump circuit. So if you wait for the fuel pump to finish priming and turn off, the power commander won’t cycle the injectors to start until the fuel pump kicks back on.

I always start mine shortly after I turn the key.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance