click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 04-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #121
Desmo
Are WE the baddies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Ha. I’ll believe chiropractic doctrine before I believe doctors and general medicine in the US is “best for the patient” and not profit driven big pharmaceutical.
Fun facts - The guy who invented it believed in healing with magnets, and that ALL forms of illness came from vertebral subluxation. Everything! Diabetes, cancer you name it. He also believed that he "Got chiropractic" from a dead guy. Yep. Oh, and of course, he was strongly anti-vaccines.

This history of this practice is littered with quacks and frauds. There's a good reason it's categorized as pseudoscience.

Now back to Car Talk with Click and Clack.

Last edited by Desmo; 04-08-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: “He got” Not “the got”
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #122
Sam9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
I don't think she has went yet, but I'm sure she has an appointment. She is a big believer in the chiropractor.
Hmmm. I thought she was pretty smart for her hair color.
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #123
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam9 View Post
Pretty shitty thing to say about someone's spouse, let alone one who's been in an accident..

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #124
arkie6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam9 View Post
She gets migraine headaches periodically and when they are really bad, about the only thing that gives her some relief is the chiropractor doing something to her neck. She went yesterday and said that it helped her neck and shoulders also.

I have always considered chiropractors questionable especially when they claim to be able to fix things that aren't muscle/skeletal related. One time ~10 years ago I got down in my back and could barely move. I was desperate and decided to give a local chiropractor a try. The chiropractor worked on me about 10 minutes and had essentially no effect on my lower back pain. He then flat out said there was nothing he could do for me. I don't think he even charged me. At least he was honest. That was the first and last chiropractor I have ever been to.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #125
arkie6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Pretty shitty thing to say about someone's spouse, let alone one who's been in an accident..
Oh, that's all right. Its all in fun. She's used to dealing with the humor on here. I seem to recall some back and forth banter on here between them when she was active on the forum. If she reads that, I'm sure she will come back with a zinger.

Hell, she even has her own emoji here
Old 04-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #126
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

My father was a big believer in chiropractic therapy. He even became good friends with the Doctor and his friends. It added some quality to my Dad's life. I recall being at a Party where I overheard his Doctor talking about refusing to do an adjustment on a patient just days after a major Automobile accident.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #127
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Fun facts - The guy who invented it believed in healing with magnets, and that ALL forms of illness came from vertebral subluxation. Everything! Diabetes, cancer you name it. He also believed that he "Got chiropractic" from a dead guy. Yep. Oh, and of course, he was strongly anti-vaccines.

This history of this practice is littered with quacks and frauds. There's a good reason it's categorized as pseudoscience.

Now back to Car Talk with Click and Clack.
Yeah everyone believed a lot of crap at the beginning of the century. Good thing medicine and science have come further along than blood letting and having nice bloody surgeon gowns! The bloodier, the better!
Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #128
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
I can see why the idea that magnets could be used to alter health would be credible. A healthy human has lots of rust doing it's job in our arteries. However nothing practical has ever emerged, other than the diagnostic use of magnets.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #129
Desmo
Are WE the baddies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Yeah everyone believed a lot of crap at the beginning of the century. Good thing medicine and science have come further along than blood letting and having nice bloody surgeon gowns! The bloodier, the better!
Do you dispute the statements I made about the inventor of chiropractic?

And yes. Science based medicine has come a long way. But Chiropractic has no basis in science and never has.

And anecdotes ("I tried it and I feel better") aren't evidence to support anything.

Maybe check out Homeopathy or the "power" of crystals for your next medical issue, or Cupping or Reiki perhaps.

There are loads of "doctors" who will gladly take your money. And they aren't part of "big pharma"
Old 04-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #130
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

There’s plenty of merit and science. My roommate and best friend is currently in chiro school. I feel like dogshit after working in the oilfield and I go on my week off. His adjustments relieve pain, give back range of motion, and fixes nerve pain I get in my hands (last time, my ulna was locked up and wasn’t rotating with my forearm) So how is that bad? How is that not real? This ain’t your granddaddy’s chiropractor. It’s constantly evolving just like regular medicine. But shame on them for not believing a pill can fix everything and writing prescriptions like candy!

Did you know they have to study many more curriculum hours in very important portions of human anatomy and movement than “real doctors”? They also take 5 national board exams before getting their degree. Med students take 1.

And even the placebo effect can be considered effective medicine.

Anyone can drink whatever kool-aid they want. But the US health statistics suck.

Im ready to accept my ban like an honorable samurai. I appoint Wiley to chop off my Avatar’s head to honor my family

Last edited by YamahaMan444; 04-10-2019 at 08:56 AM.
YamahaMan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #131
Desmo
Are WE the baddies?

Ban? Don’t be such a drama lama. Maybe put some healing crystals in the house. People swear they help all sorts of ailments.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #132
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Being in construction I thought my back out about once a year. My chiropractor is a God send. I limp in and can walk out 80% better. He also used to work for the Detroit lions keeping players on the field. I know the guy who came up with Chiropractic was a whack job, but that doesn't mean he was on to something.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #133
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

You'll have to be more specific about which Wiley gets to cut your head off. I use a chainsaw btw, not an axe.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #134
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Coyote gets the head chop, you use the chainsaw to rip up my stomach. Eternal honor achieved.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #135
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Ban? Don’t be such a drama lama. Maybe put some healing crystals in the house. People swear they help all sorts of ailments.
drama llama nice.

This forum is my healing crystal
Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #136
Keytickler
Causative Factor

Arkie, I'm glad Nina is beginning to feel better. That's great news. I hope the new wheels give her and you many miles of good and safe service.

I'm with Desmo on chiropractors, though. In grad school (I have a masters in health care administration) I did a fairly extensive paper on chiropractic. It was invented by a fish monger named Daniel Palmer I think. His theory is that all diseases are the result of a misalignment of the vertebrae (subluxation), and that the impingement on nerves causes all diseases. There is no scientific basis to chiropractic theory and there have been scientific studies measuring nerve impingement due to extraordinary pressure on the spinal column. No linkage to disease processes. I'm not going into "straights" and "mixed" chiropractic practice here. But, IMHO, if you are having problems of this nature, you are safer and much better off going to an osteopathic physician, who has four years of medical school and takes the same licensing board exams as allopathic physicians with an additional understanding of the physical therapy issues with the spine. Or, go to a physical therapist, all of whom are now doctors.

Keytickler
Old 04-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #137
Bittzz

That car really looks sharp in that color. If nothing else good comes from this at least you were able to get into a nicer vehicle. Congrats. Hope the wife and daughter mend quickly. How easily this could have been so much worse. you never know what life is going to throw at you.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #138
Desmo
Are WE the baddies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keytickler View Post
Arkie, I'm glad Nina is beginning to feel better. That's great news. I hope the new wheels give her and you many miles of good and safe service.

I'm with Desmo on chiropractors, though. In grad school (I have a masters in health care administration) I did a fairly extensive paper on chiropractic. It was invented by a fish monger named Daniel Palmer I think. His theory is that all diseases are the result of a misalignment of the vertebrae (subluxation), and that the impingement on nerves causes all diseases. There is no scientific basis to chiropractic theory and there have been scientific studies measuring nerve impingement due to extraordinary pressure on the spinal column. No linkage to disease processes.

Keytickler
Exactly. The entire basis for it is patently insane. But maybe that's because the REAL evidence is being suppressed by BIG PHARMA!!

BTW - For those who say "There's no harm in it!!" Sorry, but there is. Especially "straight" chiros who actually believe what Palmer preached. People with serious illnesses go to them for help and they make spinal adjustments. They are incredibly dangerous quacks who can and do cause people suffer from lack of actual treatment.

Excellent website that covers this and other pseudoscience. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/

I promise, that's my last comment about pseudoscience. (In this thread at least)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #139
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Exactly. The entire basis for it is patently insane. But maybe that's because the REAL evidence is being suppressed by BIG PHARMA!!

BTW - For those who say "There's no harm in it!!" Sorry, but there is. Especially "straight" chiros who actually believe what Palmer preached. People with serious illnesses go to them for help and they make spinal adjustments. They are incredibly dangerous quacks who can and do cause people suffer from lack of actual treatment.

Excellent website that covers this and other pseudoscience. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/

I promise, that's my last comment about pseudoscience. (In this thread at least)
I think going to a chiropractor to FIX an illness or disease is horsesh**. Guess I didn’t clarify. I think those chiropractors are far and few in between. Mostly the older ones I would guess.

I believe when it comes to putting bones, ribs, and the spine and cervicals back into alignment so the body has its natural alignment and pathways is beneficial. As well as correcting neck curvature. The American posture and sedentary/sitting lifestyle wreaks havoc on neck curvature. Our bodies also develop natural muscular imbalances that create issues as well. For instance my right hip muscles are weaker than my left. This causes my right leg and foot to be about an inch or more higher/shorter than my left. Very easy to see that when laying down. That is fixed with my adjustments. Buddy also adjusts my feet/ankles/hands and wrists. My wrists are really messed up. He provides better ROM and less pain. Also since we have been best friends for 10 years now, I don’t have to pay. So winning.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:11 AM   #140
arkie6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
...One consideration before getting a lawyer is the other driver may have minimum coverage, which is 25K per person, 50K per accident and 25K for property damage in AR. The ER bills can potentially eat most of that that up quite quickly - ERs tend to view auto accidents as winning the lottery. They tend to go insane and light 'em up like a Christmas tree with expensive diagnostic tests. I suppose some of the incentive is to make sure the patient is OK, but frankly a lot of it is profit driven.
Holy Moly you were right. We just saw my wife's ER itemized bill and it far exceeds the liability insurance minimums for bodily injury. But the hospital hasn't yet filed the bill with my health insurance. My health insurance typically gets a much lower negotiated rate than hospitals and doctors typically charge, typically >50% off the billed cost. This highly inflated hospital bill will get filed through my health insurance, correct? We did talk with an injury attorney on the phone and even he was floored by the hospital bill.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion