click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 02-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #41
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

I haven't taken the FZ1's carbs apart yet, but it's on the list.

For a stuck small fuel inlet pipe bracket screw I'd use an impact screwdriver. Barring that I'd use a regular screwdriver and smack it with a hammer while pressing down and torquing it. Once the corrosion is broken it should come right out.

'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #42
ORBlackFZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I haven't taken the FZ1's carbs apart yet, but it's on the list.

For a stuck small fuel inlet pipe bracket screw I'd use an impact screwdriver. Barring that I'd use a regular screwdriver and smack it with a hammer while pressing down and torquing it. Once the corrosion is broken it should come right out.
Longboardr:

Thanks for the suggestion. I hit my Vessel a couple of times with a light hammer and the screw never budged, but the good news is the fuel inlet pipe moved enough that I could gently twist it out.

Eric
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #43
oldjeep

This is where getting an actual FSM is helpful. Got mine off ebay for under $40

Here are a couple of the pages that identify the parts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carb7-4s.jpg (82.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Carb7-5s.jpg (71.7 KB, 35 views)
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:32 PM   #44
ORBlackFZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
This is where getting an actual FSM is helpful. Got mine off ebay for under $40

Here are a couple of the pages that identify the parts
Chuck:

Thank you very much. I have a hard copy of the Yamaha FZ1 Service Manual. I purchased the manual from the dealer when I purchased my FZ1 in 2002. It is very helpful up to a point.

The real trouble is these old eyes...readers + magnifier + bright LED light helps a lot.

Yea!!! I finally did find the Pilot Air Jet (2). I knew it had to be on the air intake side, but it is so tiny that it looks just like one of those other holes with brass fittings in them. Especially with the black build up on it.

Now the question is how to get the Pilot Air Jet out without damaging it. I am going to have to grind one of my small screwdrivers to fit the Pilot Air Jet slots. My screwdriver is just to wide and binds on the sides.

Boy...am I learning a lot....good thing I don't do this for a living!

Keep those answers coming. They are appreciated.

Eric
Old 02-27-2020, 11:40 PM   #45
ORBlackFZ1

I figured out where the starter plunger (1) is. It looks like a 14mm wrench/socket should fit, but they don't. My 14mm socket walls are too thick and so is the open end box wrench. I tried the Spark Plug wrench, but it is 15mm.

Is there a thin walled 14mm socket available to remove the starter plunger? I hate to use pliers....What is the trick to getting the starter plunger out?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 02-28-2020, 05:13 AM   #46
oldjeep

For the jets you want a jet screwdriver, the little kind. To get the plunger out, I had the same issue and broke it loose with a pliers.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:30 AM   #47
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Do you have any tools that might work in 9/16"? It's is 14.27mm
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Old 02-28-2020, 06:23 AM   #48
oldjeep

Quote:
The issue is that the socket would have to be paper thin. I like to think that I've got every tool known to man, but couldn't find anything in my sets that was skinny enough and I didn't feel like slicing 1/4 of the side off one of my sockets.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #49
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
The issue is that the socket would have to be paper thin. I like to think that I've got every tool known to man, but couldn't find anything in my sets that was skinny enough and I didn't feel like slicing 1/4 of the side off one of my sockets.

I get it, just throwing out an option.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #50
oldjeep

Quote:
I get it, just throwing out an option.
There may be some sort of socket out there that actually fits. Would be curious to know what the factory tool is.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:57 PM   #51
ORBlackFZ1

Quote:
There may be some sort of socket out there that actually fits. Would be curious to know what the factory tool is.
Chuck:

I am going to return a little information back to you, for all your help you have given me. https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...set/570652_0_0

$10 and I got two (2) extra spark plug sockets that I will never use.

The 6-point 9/16" socket worked perfect! The outside diameter is just under 47/64", probably closer to 93/128".

I bought the last one my local Autozone store had.

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0691_Shrunk.jpg (173.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0690_Shrunk.jpg (139.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-28-2020, 11:00 PM   #52
ORBlackFZ1

Quote:
Longboardr:

Thanks for keeping me on the correct path. You are correct, 9/16" is the correct size, not the 14mm that I thought. See the previous post for the socket I found to fit it perfectly.

Thanks again for your help,
Eric
Old 02-28-2020, 11:16 PM   #53
ORBlackFZ1

Quote:
For the jets you want a jet screwdriver, the little kind.
Chuck:

Thanks for the tip on the jet screwdriver. I did some Google searching and didn't find anything specific for the FZ1 jet sizes. I probably could have measured the slots and then tried to figure out if the jet screwdriver would work, but I didn't.

Instead, I decided to use a metal file on one of my 1/8" Craftsman screwdrivers, since the screwdriver was only tight in the hole by a small amount. I filed very little off both sides of the blade on the wide side and make sure the edges were rounded. It took me about 10 minutes with two (2) tries to make it fit like it was designed to be a Jet screwdriver.

The first photo shows the deep hole the Pilot Air Jet is in. The second photo shows an original screwdriver (on the left side of the photo) with the original angle on the edge. The modified screwdriver (on the right side of the photo) shows that the angle has been reduced by a few degrees.

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0689_Shrunk.jpg (126.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0688_Shrunk.jpg (128.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-28-2020, 11:25 PM   #54
ORBlackFZ1

I think that Carb #1 is ready for the Ultrasonic Cleaner. I have attached three (3) photos on this post showing Left, Engine & Right sides of Carb #1. The next post will be Air, Top & Bottom sides of Carb #1.

Can anyone see anything else that I need to remove before cleaning in the Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Do I need to remove the cover on the left side with the two (Phillips screws)? Does anyone know what that is? I don't see it called out in any of the Yamaha parts diagrams.

Thanks,
Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0692_Shrunk.jpg (154.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0693_Shrunk.jpg (127.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0694_Shrunk.jpg (162.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-28-2020, 11:27 PM   #55
ORBlackFZ1

I think that Carb #1 is ready for the Ultrasonic Cleaner. I have attached three (3) photos on this post showing Air, Top & Bottom sides of Carb #1.

Can anyone see anything else that I need to remove before cleaning in the Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Thanks,
Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0695_Shrunk.jpg (144.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0696_Shrunk.jpg (162.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0697_Shrunk.jpg (136.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #56
arkie6

The air cut-off spring and rubber diaphragm is under that cover held on by two small screws. See image below.

Also, the brass pilot mixture screw (bottom photo - right side) is still installed. That along with the small spring and o-ring needs to be removed. See image below.

Last edited by arkie6; 02-29-2020 at 08:12 AM.
arkie6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #57
ORBlackFZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
The air cut-off spring and rubber diaphragm is under that cover held on by two small screws. See image below.

Also, the brass pilot mixture screw (bottom photo - right side) is still installed. That along with the small spring and o-ring needs to be removed. See image below.
Arkie6:

Thank you very much. I will remove those parts before I put the carb in the Ultrasonic Cleaner. Then I will clean the parts.

If I remember correctly, the number of turns on the mixture screw is very important. I have Ivans kit installed from 2003. I will make sure to count the turns and record them.

This is exciting! My first Carb is almost ready for a bath! Yeah! I might have the FZ1 done in time for spring riding! That would be amazing!

Eric
Old 02-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #58
ORBlackFZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Arkie6:

Wow! What a idiot I am...I just went back and looked at the Yamaha parts diagram
https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oe...f25/carburetor. I have been focusing on carb #2 in the diagram, which doesn't show the part breakdown of the air cut assembly. Of course, carb #1, 3 & 4 all show the part breakdown.

Thanks for prompting me with your post, to go look again.

Eric

Last edited by ORBlackFZ1; 02-29-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #59
ORBlackFZ1

Ultrasonic Cleaner - Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner-DK SONIC Sonic Cleaner with Heater and Basket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Liquid Cleaner - Master STAGES CLEAN2020/1G Clean 2020 Washing Compound for Ultrasonic and Immersion Washers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8 cups of water per 1/2 cup of CLEAN2020

Heat setting 59C
Time 15 min
Degas setting

I will experiment with other settings on carbs 2, 3, &4.

So far results look pretty good.

Here are photos of Left, Engine & Right sides of Carb #1. The next post will be Air, Top & Bottom sides of Carb #1.

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0705_Shrunk.jpg (176.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0704_Shrunk.jpg (131.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0706_Shrunk.jpg (169.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #60
ORBlackFZ1

Here are photos of Air, Top & Bottom sides of Carb #1.

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0702_Shrunk.jpg (167.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0703_Shrunk.jpg (170.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0701_Shrunk.jpg (157.6 KB, 36 views)

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance