click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 02-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #41
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFZ1guy View Post
He addresses the swing arm/small sprocket issue

I normally run 12/52 on my bike. Telling me to go back to a 14 on front when I'm already running the biggest rear sprocket I could find isn't a solution, it simply shows his needs are different than mine. Now I could get rid of the chain guard, put on a longer chain and get a custom sprocket cut (assuming there really isn't a sprocket bigger than 52 available off the shelf), but then I'd be looking at a 58 tooth which is getting awfully big. Just no goldilocks zone I can find to get first gear as low and torquey as I want it.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #42
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
I noticed the phenomenon you speak of, also, with few DRZ posted and most at a price higher than the year would suggest. I guess that's a good sign for reliability. It did seem to be the case for most dual sports.

I found this WR page the other day. I was looking for luggage options. His page is an interesting read. He addresses the swing arm/small sprocket issue, and also posts instructions for a useful soft bag mod.
https://www.bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm
Cool read, thanks for posting. That guy really rides the SH&T out of his WR.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #43
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
I don't know if he still has it if you're interested.
Thanks for the info Gary.

I was about to say I'd be in the same boat with the legal problem of registering in KS with that bike like many others I'd like to have.

Then I had an idea. I think I'll try the South Dakota route with this KLX, and see how it goes. If it ends up working here for a while, it may well open the horizons for a lot more bikes that are currently off-limits for me. Worst that can happen is I'll get some talking to and possibly a failure to register ticket, but that would be worth it to find out if I can get away with it.

Quote:
I found this WR page the other day. I was looking for luggage options. His page is an interesting read. He addresses the swing arm/small sprocket issue, and also posts instructions for a useful soft bag mod.
https://www.bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm
Longboardr thanks for that link. I'll check it out for the info.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:45 AM   #44
grommet
kinetic mentality

Holy yellow background, Batman.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #45
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I normally run 12/52 on my bike. Telling me to go back to a 14 on front when I'm already running the biggest rear sprocket I could find isn't a solution, it simply shows his needs are different than mine. Now I could get rid of the chain guard, put on a longer chain and get a custom sprocket cut (assuming there really isn't a sprocket bigger than 52 available off the shelf), but then I'd be looking at a 58 tooth which is getting awfully big. Just no goldilocks zone I can find to get first gear as low and torquey as I want it.
Definitely not a one-size-fits-all. Just pointing out the site. Ya, you'll need to work out something else.

He definitely appears to be a long-haul rider. He's got some good info there, though.
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #46
grommet
kinetic mentality

I read most of that. Some good stuff in there.

A couple of notes:

I would never wire heated grips to high or low beam lights. Makes no sense. On all my bikes I run an auxiliary power setup with a 30 amp automotive relay. The relay coil can be connected to any switched line - tail light, ignition, whatever. Most new bikes have some dedicated accessory lines available under the seat somewhere. The coils only draw about 100mA, so it's no big deal to piggyback them off anything else. Then add the high power line from battery through the switched part of the relay to a fuse block. You can buy this kind of setup ready made or put it together from inexpensive parts available at most auto parts store or Home Depot for a few dollars and some time. I make the relay accessible and always carry a spare because they do fail now and then.

I like the trash can in the saddlebags trick. Somebody here mentioned how they suck when empty. Boom, there's your solution.

Don't waste big money on moto-specific LED aux lights. You can get them for $6 each on ebay. Take the side covers off and check for good seals on the rubber gaskets, and they will last a long time in flooding rain.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #47
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Ya, the trash can idea was something I liked. That was my fave takeaway, aside from the testimony as to longevity and some maintenance tips.

Good info on the wiring and aux lights. I'll keep an eye when the time comes for more in another bike. Moto aux lights are priceeeeey!
Old 02-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #48
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
Whereabouts would this XR400 be located?
Phoenix Arizona

Although it does not have the same tank and fake radiator shrouds and front # plate on it.

I put on a IMS 3.5 gallon tank, Front headlight and rear tailight with brake switch and license plate holder. It was STREET legal in AZ.

Oh and I put on a 1 tooth larger front C/S sprocket like I do ALL MY off-road bikes for increased top-end, fuel mpg and not revving the engine as high on the pavement.

It was a great bike and air-cooled XR's are bullet-proof.

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday
G_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #49
grommet
kinetic mentality

Kalixa has a new home.

She came with:

SUMO and stock dirt wheels. Large wave rotor on the sumo front.
Titanium Yosh exhaust
Hand guards
Radiator guards
Vapor speedometer
aftermarket headlight
stock headlight
top rack
carbon fiber frame covers
larger footpegs
axle sliders
engine case protectors
3.7 Gallon Acerbis tank
Stock tank
A set of white plastics, minus the tank shrouds
stock exhaust
2 boxes of other random parts
dope monster stickers

I had not looked closely the first time I went to see it, and did not realize it had as much extra stuff with it. Looks like all I'll have to get are:

seat
side racks
panniers
skid plate
suspension rework
aux lights

That's all about $1050. So when done I'll have a completely set-up light adv bike for $3550.

In addition to the AZBDR, I'll be able to take it to the track, and the Gap, and the dirt roads in Arkansas, and have a blast on it in all those places.

Not a bad deal.

The garage is getting full.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:09 PM   #50
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Nice!
2008 Yamaha WR250X
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125
2020 Kawasaki KLX110L
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:11 PM   #51
glory racing

A blast on 123 as well. Woo hoo!
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:17 PM   #52
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Congrats! Sweet deal!
Old 02-19-2020, 10:55 PM   #53
grommet
kinetic mentality

Things have a way of working out.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:45 PM   #54
G_man

"Things have a way of working out."

Ain't that the truth I am so glad you didn't have me go and check out that roached out WR!

Congrats you did really good and it looks like the guy took good care of the Bike. That is the most important thing when it comes down to it on buying used bikes.

Only thing I would advise also getting is a one tooth larger countershaft sprocket those bikes (best $20 you can spend) have plenty of torque and will actually make first gear usable and you will get more top end and better fuel mileage. Hopefully the chain adjusters reverse like on KTM's, otherwise you might have to get a longer chain but you have plenty of time to look into that.

My God I thought I was bad with the adult toys!!

I guess I haven't kept up with your recent purchases.
Where is the KTM? I need a bike status update.

Oh and it's obvious you have a really good wife!

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday
G_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:43 AM   #55
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
"Things have a way of working out."

Ain't that the truth I am so glad you didn't have me go and check out that roached out WR!

Congrats you did really good and it looks like the guy took good care of the Bike. That is the most important thing when it comes down to it on buying used bikes.

Only thing I would advise also getting is a one tooth larger countershaft sprocket those bikes (best $20 you can spend) have plenty of torque and will actually make first gear usable and you will get more top end and better fuel mileage. Hopefully the chain adjusters reverse like on KTM's, otherwise you might have to get a longer chain but you have plenty of time to look into that.

My God I thought I was bad with the adult toys!!

I guess I haven't kept up with your recent purchases.
Where is the KTM? I need a bike status update.

Oh and it's obvious you have a really good wife!
I'll probably check out a couple of different gearing setups. May change them for different rides. Would like more top end at the track or street, more low end off-road.

The SD is in the lower left of the last pic above. Scooter trunk mounted as usual for commuting. BBRRAAAAPPPP Currently has 42K miles. I got the 05 FJR from hotboot and the 07 Retro FZ1 from Lickety Split, both last year.

Yes my wife is great. She went out of her way to take note that I did not yet have a bike for my trip in May, and volunteered the kitchen pass to go buy one the other day. She was reasonable so that's why I was looking for something not too expensive. Happy wife happy life.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:07 AM   #56
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Congrats! The fun:$ ratio is right on point.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Old 02-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #57
jredford
Musical Metal

Congrats Patrick! Looks like a sweet ride. Can’t wait to see it.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:49 PM   #58
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
That is quite the gear ratio. I hadn't checked the teeth on my bike, but I found out the other day it was 13/47. I found that ratio quite good, actually; enough torque to blast up a steep incline in first, but enough drive to open it up without revving the snot out of the bike too too much.

I wound up selling my WR250R a couple days ago. With hesitation, as always. But, there's always another bike...
Old 02-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #59
Wonger

Quote:
290 kit is the best option for that, but then you are starting to eat into part of the reliability that makes the WR so good. The Japanese 250's just don't have the grunt to do both. If you can live with the higher maintenance, the 2019 KTM/HQV 250's are selling out quickly now that they have been discontinued. Wouldn't be a terrible purchase as they get terrific mileage. If it's a commuter though, it won't be a great fit due to the frequent 10 minute oil changes and 30 minute valve checks. I regret selling my 350 except for the tall seat height.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:17 AM   #60
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
That is quite the gear ratio. I hadn't checked the teeth on my bike, but I found out the other day it was 13/47. I found that ratio quite good, actually; enough torque to blast up a steep incline in first, but enough drive to open it up without revving the snot out of the bike too too much.

I wound up selling my WR250R a couple days ago. With hesitation, as always. But, there's always another bike...
When I'm running 12/52 it's purely for off-road with an eye to small wheelies for double blipping. Definitely no bueno for above about 70.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion