click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #21
Desmo
I'll take a Corona!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
$5600 !!

It was $4500 Msrp as i recall. Well good luck to him! I imagine there are a lot of 650 Stroms out there for less that are far better machines.

Quote:
I have owned close to 15 Transalps in the last 20 years where this will be the last one I am owning

This dude has serious issues.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #22
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

He did say "OBO".

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #23
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Quote:
Originally Posted by old77zrider View Post
Glad to see you have the itch to ride again. Hopefully we will see you at the Spring Rally.
Thank you sir. Never know.........I sure do miss Tennesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust View Post
Or in Wyoming!
Hmmmm.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
This was at the local Honda shop last week when I pulled up. Just over 10k miles.
Wow, is that thing immaculate! Hope your well Brian.

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:54 AM   #24
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Cycle World reviews the 2020 AT

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/buy...l-africa-twin/

Actually it’s more like an update than a review

Last edited by Stella Blue; 01-30-2020 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Not a thorough review
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #25
Wonger

Depends on if you are wanting an on-road only adventure bike. It's a great idea, as they are extremely comfortable and capable.
S10 for on road is good. AT is also just fine on-road and a little better off-road. The KTM 1x90's are FAR better as off-road machines. Suspension travel and grunt being the biggest factor. They carry their considerably less weight better as well.

There are a few good deals to be had on 1190's and even 1290's as people are going smaller, but if you want a road-focused bike, I'd be searching for an 1190 Adventure S. 150 hp and all the character you want. They've had a few issues over the years, but there are so many in-service, they've been well worked-out. 1290 if you want to blow your socks off. It's every bit as fast as my S1000XR with way more grunt down low.

1190 Adv would get my vote as there are deals out there.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:12 AM   #26
organ donor

That's one good looking bike. I love that menacing look.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #27
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Love the updated TFT screen on the new Honda AT. The LCD dash on my Super T could be from the movie "Aliens" looking like old school sci-fi military tech. It is functional and easy to read/navigate and always legible, even in direct sun.

Be that as it may, I want that pretty new Honda dash - gimme gimme
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash.jpg (173.9 KB, 148 views)

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:19 AM   #28
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Love the updated TFT screen on the new Honda AT. The LCD dash on my Super T could be from the movie "Aliens" looking like old school sci-fi military tech. It is functional and easy to read/navigate and always legible, even in direct sun.

Be that as it may, I want that pretty new Honda dash - gimme gimme
Yamaha didn't improve on the ST's dash with the new T7. It's very basic, but so is the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t7 dash.jpg (104.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 01-31-2020, 06:42 PM   #29
regder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
Yamaha didn't improve on the ST's dash with the new T7. It's very basic, but so is the bike.
On a basic bike like the T7, the dash is perfect. I even like the 80's dash on my S10, though it's embarrassing for a 2020 model at it's MSRP.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:52 AM   #30
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Seems the T7 is pretty darn capable right out of the box. Check this Aussie out. I doubt one could ride faster over that terrain on a DR or KLR 650, and the T7 would be way better on the highway. It is quite a bike for the cash. I agree, for the T7's mission, that dash is perfect. Small, light informative and no BS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVu3...Zb2mShGPZ457uE

I can tell watching the video that the shock needs a stiffer spring for the speeds he is going, but the forks look pretty darn good out of the box. It really does look like with proper springs front and rear and maybe a revalve, the T7 can go at a really good pace off road in rough terrain. The shock is a good remote reservoir part, and the forks are full cartridge inverted units. They may not be high end components, but the T7's suspension bits are way ahead of the KLR/DR.

Big ADV bikes have a different riding style than lightweight dirt bikes - they are so heavy that they do not "get up on plane" and skip over things, they plow through them like an ocean going freighter vs. a speedboat. I suppose the big KTMs are a bit of an exception to this, but all those videos of the big KTMs are pros riding borrowed bikes, and they don't mention all the stuff they break while riding a 1290 like that. The T7 responds to being ridden like an actual dirt bike, hopping and skipping over stuff while standing and on the gas, and that is super cool.

It would be sweet to have my Super T and a T7 in the garage. Sell the FZ1 and my plated Husaberg FE450 to get a T7, for a Super T, T7 and 300XC stable? Doing that would give me a touring barge, a sweet day tripping street capable bike for exploring Colorado and Utah's many jeep and forest service roads, and a serious dirt bike. That would make sense, but I just can't do it

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M

Last edited by Duken4evr; 02-01-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #31
jared p
^ guy

Quote:
That was a great video and just reaffirms that the T7 is gonna be one of the best bikes for me out there
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:11 AM   #32
Wonger

Quote:
It would be sweet to have my Super T and a T7 in the garage. Sell the FZ1 and my plated Husaberg FE450 to get a T7, for a Super T, T7 and 300XC stable? Doing that would give me a touring barge, a sweet day tripping street capable bike for exploring Colorado and Utah's many jeep and forest service roads, and a serious dirt bike. That would make sense, but I just can't do it
Don't do it. The well set-up FZ1 is very difficult to replace without a significant outlay of cash. Experience talking here.
FE for the T7, eh. Depends on if the XC will do the real offroading you want to do, and if the T7 can do the exploring you want to do.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #33
bmidd
Throwing $$ at a BMW now.

Got to spend 30 minutes on a 2019 AT at a demo ride today. I'm sort of mad I didn't ride one until now, because I would own one. I don't know what the actual wet weights are of the AT vs S10, but the AT feels so much lighter. I didn't think I would like the little skinny 21" tire on the road in the mountains, but it felt just fine at a comfortable pace. Power was good, easily wheelies in 2nd gear and rolls down the highway comfortably at 85. The little stock windshield isn't the greatest for long torso tall guys, but that can be addressed. The stock exhaust sounds good enough and I wouldn't even buy a slip on for it. Overall a great little bike.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #34
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

My research has led me to believe that the t7 suspension is probably a little soft, as is the case with most Yamahas. I've had my eye on it, though. The dash is not a selling feature; reminds me of "pong" or the Nokia "snake" game, in an era where CGI is life like and VR is practically a reality. I'm sure those electronics were basically free for yamaha.

I had a s10, as you'd probably remember. It was a fun bike. VERY comfortable for all day touring. Much better on dirt roads with aggressive tires than, say, the vstrom 1000 I had before, due to a low center of gravity. But it's still a very road-biased bike imo.

I've really been looking at the AT. It seems it is of the best machines out there that can handle long days in the saddle and can manage in just about anything you can throw at it; i.e. mid-difficulty ohv double or light single track (key word is "manage," not necessarily "excell" or "dominate").

The bike that really has my eye right now is the KTM 790 Adventure R. It's pretty awesome. Again, not a mx or anything, but very capable. And it has (reportedly) excellent suspension, color tft dash, and needs little in the way of accessories out the box. The downside? About $15k give or take with fees and taxes. That's a lot of money for a relatively small bike.
BruinFZ1guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #35
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFZ1guy View Post
The bike that really has my eye right now is the KTM 790 Adventure R. It's pretty awesome. Again, not a mx or anything, but very capable. And it has (reportedly) excellent suspension, color tft dash, and needs little in the way of accessories out the box. The downside? About $15k give or take with fees and taxes. That's a lot of money for a relatively small bike.
And then, once you make partner at the law firm, you can add cone valve forks, a better shock and other upgrades to make the 790 fully awesome.

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-product...ro-suspension/

Regardless of what they did to the 790 below, this is definitely a pro rider on a borrowed motorcycle situation. I would hesitate to do that drop on my 300. Pride being what it is, would have no choice but to send it if I was out with a guy on a 790 and he did it though. Afterwards I would inevitably wonder why I hesitated, as the 300 always laughs at anything "hard" I throw at it, as long as it is attempted with proper commitment. Speed may be scary, but it smooths the landing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 790.jpg (103.4 KB, 52 views)

Old 02-26-2020, 11:56 PM   #36
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
https://www.advpulse.com/adv-product...ro-suspension/

Regardless of what they did to the 790 below, this is definitely a pro rider on a borrowed motorcycle situation. I would hesitate to do that drop on my 300. Pride being what it is, would have no choice but to send it if I was out with a guy on a 790 and he did it though. Afterwards I would inevitably wonder why I hesitated, as the 300 always laughs at anything "hard" I throw at it, as long as it is attempted with proper commitment. Speed may be scary, but it smooths the landing
Ya, I'd like to get one and go out in the OHV areas and play. But it makes little sense for me to take a $15k bike to the dirt to play. Maybe it'd be fine. But that is an awful lot of money.

On the other hand, now that I've sold the WR250R, I've been feeling the loss and looking at the KTM EXC-F 350 and 500. They are pricey, and not too many used at much below what they can be had for new. But I think either would be quite a bit more snappy than the Yammie. Apparently KTM has come a long way with reliability also.

The committment to the tough stuff, though, that is something I'll have to just decide to acquire. I do not know how some people do what they do on MX bikes. Or on dual sports. That drop on the Adventure R you posted is a good example. I don't think I'm ready to do that on a dirt bike, even.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:41 AM   #37
Wonger

Bruin, where are you shopping? I see tons of 350's and 500's for sale here in the SE. A 500 for a weekend trip out to the desert would be pretty epic. For around here, the 350 is plenty as you are traction-limited.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #38
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
Bruin, where are you shopping? I see tons of 350's and 500's for sale here in the SE. A 500 for a weekend trip out to the desert would be pretty epic. For around here, the 350 is plenty as you are traction-limited.
Southern California. Inland Empire/San Diego/LA areas. The riding is Big Bear mountain/Mojave Desert.

There are some around. The used ones I recall seeing seem to be priced pretty close to new, though. To be fair, I havent looked all that diligently.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion