click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories

Old 12-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
Fz1_2613

Aftermarket Gauge Cluster Help

I am trying to install an Ace Speedo and I cant seem to be able to get the fuel, speedometer, tachometer or neutral light working. I have tried many different wire combinations with no luck. Does anyone have experience with this. I would even be willing to pay someone to walk me through it?
Fz1_2613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
Schlumpf

What exact type/version is it?

First study the correct pinning diagram for the original cluster.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=128264

Locate ground and connect it to the ace. Same for the two 12V lines (battery/permanent and switched).
Connect neutral and power up to check.
If this basic installations makes any problem you might have already fried your neutral switch?..

Disconnect neutral wire from loom and tie it directly to 12V. On the ace-side only! Never connect the neutral switch directly to 12V.

Do you have any voltage/multimeter at hand?

Apart from the trouble to get it started you should be aware to solve the cooling fan problem at the end. The fan is controlled by the original cluster. None of the aftermarket dashs is able to provide this function. Check the forum search for "koso" or "gauge+swap" to find more hints.
Schlumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
Fz1_2613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlumpf View Post
What exact type/version is it?

First study the correct pinning diagram for the original cluster.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=128264

Locate ground and connect it to the ace. Same for the two 12V lines (battery/permanent and switched).
Connect neutral and power up to check.
If this basic installations makes any problem you might have already fried your neutral switch?..
I just tried this. Since the connector from the fz1 loom did not match the Ace, I cut both connectors and installed butt connectors on both looms. Then I connected the fz1 ground to the ground on the Ace speedo, I connected the red green wire from the fz1 to the 'clock power' and the brown wire from the fz1 to the 'key switch'. Nothing happened the screen on the Ace didn't even turn on.

Here is the wiring diagram for the Ace

Quote:
Disconnect neutral wire from loom and tie it directly to 12V. On the ace-side only! Never connect the neutral switch directly to 12V.
I dont follow what you are saying here.

Quote:
Do you have any voltage/multimeter at
Yes
Fz1_2613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:22 AM   #4
Schlumpf

I've wired this exact model to a friend's gen1 (about 12 years ago.. ). It's not plug-n-play..

Your power cabling looks right, check the fuses to be sure. Solve the power-up issue first before proceeding.

Please have a look to the appended picture for reference.

For RPM you have 3 choices:
- use the Y/B cable from the original dash connector
- connect Ace/Yellow directly to one of the coil's primary, either orange or gray
(For info, the FZ1's CDI switches the ground line. The Ace diagram is a bit misleading)
- apply the 3-5 turns on the high voltage side.

The original FZ1's speedo sensor provides a far too high signal rate. The Ace is not capable to decode it. Use the extra sensor that is delivered instead (guess it works with a magnet at the disk).

Neutral should work directly.
My statement from before's thread was only a warning. The neutral switch will get damaged if tied directly to 12V. Be careful.
But it's save if you put the Ace/purple solely to 12V or ground for testing.

For oil I'm not completly sure (I don't remember every detail). Guess the signal is inverted as the FZ1 has a oil-level sensor. The Ace expects an oil-pressure sensor.

Fuel level should work directly.

Just my personal opinion: This Ace is not the best choice for the FZ1 as there are too many modifications required. And remember, the fan is still out of function.
The best match for replacement is the R1 RN04 dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACE2853_to_FZ1.jpg (67.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
rdcusmc

Christian,
Which year model is the RN04 from?

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Schlumpf

Should be 2000 - 2001.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories