register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 03-06-2019, 04:56 AM   #21
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Suspension upgrades are ALWAYS the way to go. Especially on bikes built to a price point, like all FZs ade

Suspension upgrades > power upgrades.m
Old 03-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #22
ctfz1
corner carver

When I had an 01 in 02 I changed fork springs and had the rear shock rebuilt with gold valve. Ivan's jet kit.

Very happy result!
Current bike (02) has R6R shock kit and fork springs

Minor changes I've used the 99? R1 shifter shaft arm. Not available I believe I found a newer swap in the threads. Shorter shift shaft arm reduces shifting movement.
Changing bars to "perfect for you helps too. LED bulbs ?
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #23
rdcusmc

R1 shift arm is a MUST

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #24
04skunk

UPDATE: I've been in contact with Dean and I think i'll be ordering my R6 shock kit soon.

I'm looking into this kit for re-valving the forks: https://www.solomotoparts.com/Race-T...or-FZ-1-01-05/

I've seen it listed anywhere from ~$150 -> $190 so i'll do so some shopping around to find the best price.

I'm also looking into replacing the springs along with the valves and thinking of these ones: https://www.solomotoparts.com/Race-T...for-FZ1-01-05/

Also going to install SS brake lines on the front and rear, as well as clean the calipers plus replace the pads all around.

I've heard mixed opinions on doing the fork rebuild yourself vs taking it to a shop. I'd like to do it myself to save on labor but is there anything I should look out for and is it worth trying to do yourself?

I really appreciate all of the help and will keep you all posted on my progress!
04skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #25
rdcusmc

You are definitely on the right track and will love these mods when complete. Strongly encourage you to add the R1 shift arm to the mod list. It is stupid cheap ($30 give or take) and makes shifts much more positive.

Let us know your progress.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #26
longeze

R1 shift arm... great bang/$ ... listen to ur OA'rs ;)
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering