register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 2 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 03-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #21
MetricMuscle

So, has anyone used 2004-2006 R1 forks successfully?

Looks like they have a different "Offset" than the GenII FZ1 or the 2007 and up R1.

Is this the wheel spacing offset?

Any reasonable way around this issue?
Old 03-02-2016, 06:24 AM   #22
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

You might want to start a separate thread for that question.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #23
MetricMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
You might want to start a separate thread for that question.
OY! Is that to say no one has used the 04-06 R1 forks?

I'd love to use the set I have but not if it means going to great lengths to make it work.

I've found a couple of threads which go into detail on using 07 and up forks, even a chart comparing all years FZ1 to R1.

Is there a thread you know of which has discussed using 04-06 R1 forks?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #24
AndyW

I don't recall ever reading of anyone doing a Gen II R1 fork swap, hence suggesting you start a thread for it.

Gen I all the time, but not Gen II.

Which would you prefer?
Old 03-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #25
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Lots of people have done a Gen II fork swap. I have converted my front end to the 09 R1 (using Ohlins forks). there are a few threads on this forum and onthe other forum on how to do it. I think most people do the 07 - 08 though as that way you can keep all your original brakes, axles and fender etc.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:23 PM   #26
Dicko

Here's a few links for the Gen II R1 fork swap.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...t=r1+fork+swap

This one states the 06 is a direct bolt on for FZ1 Gen II

plenty of reading there for you, this was from a quick search.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Old 03-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #27
AndyW

I stand corrected. Just never remember seeing it in my time on this forum.. perhaps because I did the Traxxion upgrade right away!

Which would you prefer?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #28
MetricMuscle

Well Muchas Gracias.

Not sure why I went a bit paranoid when I saw a comment about "offset" and assumed the worst.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #29
stephenmwyatt
Banned

They have nothing on KYB....zilch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportryder View Post
RaceTech probably only sells a rebound kit for the Gen2 forks because that is the only type of valving that will work in those forks. Let me explain...

Btw, this is top secret sheeot and you are all sworn to secrecy.

Yamaha wanted both rebound and compression adjusters at the top of the fork leg on the Gen2. Probably someone in their marketing dept thought it would be a good way to save some money and impress some potential buyers. You know, that whole MotoGP tech that we've read about. Anyways, since there is no adjuster at the bottom of the fork leg for compression damping (dumb down cost saving move by Yamaha design dept.) then the only way to maintain compression damping adjustability would be to locate the compression valve on the cartridge rod that moves up and down inside the cartridge body. That way, the adjuster can be moved to the top of the fork leg just like normal rebound adjusters on forks.

Here's the problem with using a typical "compression" valve mounted on the cartridge rod. Aftermarket compression valve pistons are different than rebound valve pistons. Rebound valves have a piston band because it generally slides up and down inside the cartridge body. Normal compression valve pistons have O-rings on their circumference. They are not designed to slide or move at all. So, how would you expect to make a compression valve work that slides? Shouldn't it be a piston that has a band on it? Well yeah it should. There already is a piston that has a band on the circumference but it's named "rebound". Now, how can we make that rebound valve piston damp for the compression stroke? hmmmmmmm... Why not invert the rebound valve piston so it provides damping during fork compression? This my friends is how it's done. One rebound valve assembly kit is all that is needed for the Gen2 forks.

Don't even ask me what shim stacks work best. I can't share that information. I've probably already said too much but the questions presented needed to be answered.

Ok, now back to your RaceTech product discussion....
Until you get the Ohlins forks with compression and rebound dampening on both sides with progressive springs for a specific weight rider, the stock forks are unbeatable. The slight mods for real money is just ricer bullshit. You also would need the Ohlins shock, for a specific weight, to match the forks, then the perfect setup on each. If you can't do your own fork tuning, and truly understand it, you should not pay anyone else to lay their philosophy on you. I like my bike setup like a dirt bike, for surprise shitty road conditions, soft springs and big time rebound, on the second to last setting. Other people like hard riding bikes, where you can run over a dime and know whether it was heads or tails. I think a hard setup sucks, Valentino Rossi runs a really hard setup for those smooth and perfect tracks.
stephenmwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #30
stephenmwyatt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
I don't recall ever reading of anyone doing a Gen II R1 fork swap, hence suggesting you start a thread for it.

Gen I all the time, but not Gen II.
That would be good if you found a pair of those forks, and you might need the shock as well, it is WAY better than the FZ1 stock shock
stephenmwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:14 AM   #31
crankpin

Guys I had a quick question. I have read all these posts mentioning how good the 06- 08 R1 forks are. But what if I don't get these forks where I stay?
Now is it possible to use forks of a later MY R1? Like 2009 or 2010 or even later?
So what all will I require for the swap if I keep using the FZ1 wheel rims and brake rotors?
crankpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #32
Dicko

You can definitely use later forks, however, you will also need to buy the following
- front calipers (if you use the FZ1 320mm front brake rotor, you will then also need 5mm spacers). The mounting points change in later years.
- front R1 axle to match your forks.
- front fender of the same year fork for the R1. Again, mounting points changed in later years.

I have this set up on my bike (but Ohlins and Brembo).
Old 04-21-2017, 01:15 AM   #33
crankpin

Thanks man...! and for the rear a similar year R1 shock ? I'll also need that adapter piece right?
crankpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #34
Dicko

You will need to ask Satan about the rear shocks, I just put an Ohlins on there. I know he makes an adapter for certain years, but not all.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 2 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering