register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #21
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Renda View Post
The meaning of a writing should be plain and easy to discern, when writing a brief or memorandum. Never hidden by obfuscation.

Obfuscation is bad.

One should eschew obfuscation.
That's pretty hilarious!
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #22
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
I do, I get bummed as I try hard to avoid any animals in the road. There are some I care less about but, yeah still bothers me.
I think how I could have avoided it, in the chipmunks case, he ran out at me instead of away. Maybe I assisted in a chip a cide? Never know what the little rascal was thinkin'.
Guess I'll eat a couple of popsicles to make the cross for a roadside monument?
I have visited this same issue from both sides. It brings back painful memories, but also valuable lessons. It goes WAY beyond the treatment of animals that we love.

Here's the story.

Once, I am driving the bus at UVa in the 70's. A big, fargin' GMC intercity bus, mind you, as UVa is way too cheap to provide adequate student housing for all of its undergrad students. Corcksuckers. So folks are scattered throughout Charlottesville, and students like me are driving GIANT inner-city GMC busses to and from the campus. YIKES!

I am driving a bus-load of people one day (not hot dogging or anything, mind you - just doing my job) and out of nowhere, a fargin' squirrel runs right out in front of the bus!

Do I think twice about running over the fury little bastidge? No fargin, way. There are real people on board the bus. Graduate students, and Med students,and nurses. NURSES! ( Most UVa nurse in the 70's were really, really hot! I married one).

No way do I wreck the fargin' bus to avoid the little squirrel bastidge. Yeah, I feel a little bad about it. But the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. To this day I feel little remorse. That's life.

Ah, but fast forward (two years or so) to a winter drive down US29 from DC to Charlottesville, after my father-in-law's funeral. Two feet of snow surround the roadway; a veritable wall of concrete ice on both shoulders.

Out of nowhere, a large, beautiful dog, a Lab or a Golden, runs right out into the middle of the road.

I am going WAY too fast. 60, maybe 65. I should be going 45. Or 40. It's my fault.

I hit him. I sure as HELL am not going to kill my beautiful wife over a mistake that I made. Over a dog. It's my fault, but I have to hit him. And I do.

Now I have no problem with this analysis. I have no problem with admitting that I made a very real mistake. A mistake with consequences. I feel badly about it to this day.

Some people, here and elsewhere, have a problem with admitting that they made, or benefitted from, mistakes.

From injustice.

From hereditary advantage.

From outright racism.

Gentlemen, you can edit out my thoughts out all you want. It diminishes you. Not me.

And I will not give up. Ban me if what I say frightens you.

(But I will still go to the rally, mind you. You can't stop me from driving down to North Carolina, or Georgia, or wherever.)

See you all in June!
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
71 BSA Lightning 650
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #23
Bocephous
Romans 6:23

Quote:
Well, to be honest, I was relying on Bocephous for an interpretation of No. 2. I have no earthly idea what "tender mercies" means. And that is the problem.

The meaning of a writing should be plain and easy to discern, when writing a brief or memorandum. Never hidden by obfuscation.

Obfuscation is bad.

One should eschew obfuscation.
No obfuscation taking place here, just the good old fashioned English translation of a Hebrew word. The original Hebrew word used here is "racham," which "expresses a deep and tender feeling of compassion, such as is aroused by the sight of weakness or suffering in those who are dear to us or need our help. Rachamim, as a plural noun, means "bowels; mercies; compassion.""

2011 GSX-R750 w/LSL Superbike handlebar kit
2004 DL1000
2007 Suzuki Vinson
Bocephous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #24
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

Quote:

Some people, here and elsewhere, have a problem with admitting that they made, or benefitted from, mistakes.
Being Canadian I use a hockey example for people that work for me. I tell them that like a hockey player who never gets a penalty you aren't trying hard enough if you don't make mistakes.
You can go too far with this though
Personally I have made so many that they don't bother me too much.

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #25
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Ummmmm Tom?
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: Aprilia Tuono, Ducati996, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000
Was: GSXR 7/11 AIR/OIL COOLED BEAST, 1986 GSXR750,Kawasaki KLR 650, Honda XR650L, ZX9 TopGunBike, BuellX1
First Sportbike 1987 FZ 700, My long lost love.
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #26
WDD

Quote:
I
Gentlemen, you can edit out my thoughts out all you want. It diminishes you. Not me.

(But I will still go to the rally, mind you. You can't stop me from driving down to North Carolina, or Georgia, or wherever.)

See you all in June!
Tom, love you man. But.... what????

Then again, I'm still trying to figure out how a post about wishing all a Happy Easter got into word clarity and hitting animals.......
Old 04-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #27
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

I am not sure where I was going there. I had been working with chemical paint removers and mineral spirits Thursday.

Evidently, without enough ventilation.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
71 BSA Lightning 650
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #28
Cap'n Carl

Quote:
I am not sure where I was going there. I had been working with chemical paint removers and mineral spirits Thursday.

Evidently, without enough ventilation.
I liked it.
Cap'n Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM   #29
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Smart lawyers huffing fumes makes for some interesting writing

Read Hebrews 6:19 the other day. It says (NIV version)
Quote:
We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain.
That is a nice piece of what Easter means to me.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM   #30
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
I have visited this same issue from both sides. It brings back painful memories, but also valuable lessons. It goes WAY beyond the treatment of animals that we love.

Here's the story.

Once, I am driving the bus at UVa in the 70's. A big, fargin' GMC intercity bus, mind you, as UVa is way too cheap to provide adequate student housing for all of its undergrad students. Corcksuckers. So folks are scattered throughout Charlottesville, and students like me are driving GIANT inner-city GMC busses to and from the campus. YIKES!

I am driving a bus-load of people one day (not hot dogging or anything, mind you - just doing my job) and out of nowhere, a fargin' squirrel runs right out in front of the bus!

Do I think twice about running over the fury little bastidge? No fargin, way. There are real people on board the bus. Graduate students, and Med students,and nurses. NURSES! ( Most UVa nurse in the 70's were really, really hot! I married one).

No way do I wreck the fargin' bus to avoid the little squirrel bastidge. Yeah, I feel a little bad about it. But the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. To this day I feel little remorse. That's life.

Ah, but fast forward (two years or so) to a winter drive down US29 from DC to Charlottesville, after my father-in-law's funeral. Two feet of snow surround the roadway; a veritable wall of concrete ice on both shoulders.

Out of nowhere, a large, beautiful dog, a Lab or a Golden, runs right out into the middle of the road.

I am going WAY too fast. 60, maybe 65. I should be going 45. Or 40. It's my fault.

I hit him. I sure as HELL am not going to kill my beautiful wife over a mistake that I made. Over a dog. It's my fault, but I have to hit him. And I do.

Now I have no problem with this analysis. I have no problem with admitting that I made a very real mistake. A mistake with consequences. I feel badly about it to this day.

From injustice.

From hereditary advantage.

From outright racism.

See you all in June!
When I took the driver education classes 125 years ago we were taught to never swerve to avoid an animal because the risk to human lives increases. YMMV...
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line Mod, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil Mod, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #31
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
When I took the driver education classes 125 years ago we were taught to never swerve to avoid an animal because the risk to human lives increases. YMMV...
We have big animals up here that you really don't want to hit..

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #32
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
We have big animals up here that you really don't want to hit..
Yeah, that's true here too. There's a huge herd of elk that grazes about 15 miles out of town. I'd hate to hit one of those!
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line Mod, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil Mod, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #33
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Hey Quazz!!! I met a semi famous dude from Nova Scotia recently and told him I have a friend who lives there. He says oh yah? Where?

Pugwash!

He says. Oh. I'm sorry.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #34
quazz

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #35
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Is there some kind of iceberg glacier invasion in Pugwash ? Saw it on the interwebs. Looks big. Don't hit it with Ol Yeller.
Old Today, 04:32 AM   #36
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
Is there some kind of iceberg glacier invasion in Pugwash ? Saw it on the interwebs. Looks big. Don't hit it with Ol Yeller.
That's how I get ice for my drinks. I pull Old Yeller along side an iceberg and chip a few cubes.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion