click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 09-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #41
wpd736

super anti spyware is very good also removed antivirus 2009 and personal antivirus
wpd736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #42
tigershark1
Time To Hit The Road

Hey, just wanted to Thank dipps, and everyone, for all these valuable links, and information. I really appreciate it ! steve

03 FZ1
silver, stock
tigershark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #43
Cruzman
ATGATT It's the only way 2 fly

Of course. I get a redirect bug on my machine and try and try to remove it. Then I finally give up and reformat and rebuild. Now my machine is as clean as a whistle. However now I find this thread and realize I probably didn't have to do what I did. Oh well at least she is as fast and clean as she can be.

2001 FZ1000 "Stella" Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, 07 R1 Fork Swap with BrianG stem and AK20s, mini led turn signals, K&N filter, R6 rear shock conversion,Gauge of Eternal Coolness, 4 degree advancer mod, SS Brake-Lines
DanMoto Rearsets, Akrapovic slip-on [/color]
2014 BMW S1000R "Trixie"
Cruzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #44
dipps
administrator

reformatting and "rebuilding" is the best path to go anyway, especially if it's been 2 years since done last.
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
dipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #45
pep

TheRepairMan, great stuff. I recently rec'd an e-mail congratulating me for subscribing to blah, blah, blah... they had links to view the program and a link for unsubscribing... you see where this is going... Loaded the Advanced Security Tool 2010 malware... MF rendered my PC useless... utilized your site and wallah - no more virus... THX

Oh, one thing - I couldn't run rkill to stop the linkages that rendered my PC useless in Normal boot up mode - I had to boot up in safe w/networking mode to enable running the scan/removal tool... Then once cleaned, I logged on in normal boot up mode and ran a restore point to earlier to hopefully ensure any remnant is gone...
Old 10-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #46
PFG
Like that when I found it

I got hit, hard. My laptop started throwing strange spooler errors, I started getting browser hijacks. I didn;t think it was that big of deal, I've dealt with virius problems before. I started getting worried when I opened AVG and it was spoofing Security center to show it was running, but no active compnents were installed.

No malware or antiviral programs would even run, and I couldn't install new ones. In safe mode they would run, but find nothing. Re-naming their .exe's would get them running, still no finds. Using system restore (which it had hidden, and I had to use the "Run" command to find) did nothing. I sleuthed around and found Combofix, which cleaned up enough for me to get Microsoft security essentials installed. Running that after about 15 other antiviral programs found a virus, and deleted it.

I'm still quarantining the machine, and think it might be time to do a dump and fresh install to win7. I hate new os's.

I'm also looking for a good password app, hopefully one that I can use on my touch and a pc, maybe web based? I used firefox to store my passwords, and although my master is complex, and I think I caught it quickly, this virus scared me. It has been over a year since I got anything even minor. I'm a pretty savvy surfer, and still don't know exactly what got me.

I'm about to go the full sanboxy route and minimal installs on my surfing laptop.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #47
Desmo
Hello ladies...

MSE is the shit.

After such a nasty encounter you really gotta nuke and pave.

LastPass is this shit for passwords. All data is encrypted locally, and then
synced to the cloud automatically. The iPhone/Ipod app is $1 per month. Well worth it.
I use the iphone app frequently.

Cross browser support too.

BTW - The firefox password thingy is not very secure. I would never use it. Lots of
info on the web about how to hack the main password.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #48
aeronaut

Linux.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #49
PFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
MSE is the shit.

After such a nasty encounter you really gotta nuke and pave.

LastPass is this shit for passwords. All data is encrypted locally, and then
synced to the cloud automatically. The iPhone/Ipod app is $1 per month. Well worth it.
I use the iphone app frequently.

Cross browser support too.

BTW - The firefox password thingy is not very secure. I would never use it. Lots of
info on the web about how to hack the main password.
$1 per month, what am I, Rockefeller? I can't afford that!

Yeah, the FF password was used more for convenience for forums and whatnot, not anything really critical.

Linux? I tried to put Ubuntu on this laptop when I got it (needing repair). There was a thread on here about it. Huge pain in my ass with drivers and what not. Not interested in wearing that big of a propeller on my hat.

Off to find the best deal, and which version of 7 I need before the nuke from orbit.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #50
Desmo
Hello ladies...

The $1 per month thing is only if you want the iphone app. The basic version is free.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #51
PFG

Quote:
The $1 per month thing is only if you want the iphone app. The basic version is free.
Free I can afford. Barely. Looks like the base version of Win7 is all I need, too. I'll still have another system running XP if I need that platform, and that seems to be the only difference between the lowest two.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #52
Desmo
Hello ladies...

You want Home Premium.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #53
PFG

Quote:
You want Home Premium.
Yup, that's the base one, from what I'm finding.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #54
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Righto.

It's more simplified now. There's no more "Basic" and the Starter version is not available as a retail product.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #55
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Wow, looking at those prices now. Ugh. Too bad you weren't up to speed last year when you could get W7 HP for $30.

There's a 3 pack for $150. Do you need 3?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20018693-58.html
Old 10-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #56
PFG

Quote:
Wow, looking at those prices now. Ugh. Too bad you weren't up to speed last year when you could get W7 HP for $30.

There's a 3 pack for $150. Do you need 3?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20018693-58.html
I saw that. Not really, I could continue to run XP pro on my other laptop, and have a platform for stuff that win7 home doesn't support. Considering how long it takes me to switch OS's, I'd probably be ready to switch to Win23 by then.

Hell, I've got a desktop running win2k.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #57
dipps
administrator

lastpass is nice, as is keepass.

MSE is good too, but i still like my avast, and the latest version is really nice. at home, i use avast on my xps system, MSE on my kid's computer. i usually put MSE on friends computer due to it's ease of use.
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
dipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #58
PFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipps View Post
lastpass is nice, as is keepass.

MSE is good too, but i still like my avast, and the latest version is really nice. at home, i use avast on my xps system, MSE on my kid's computer. i usually put MSE on friends computer due to it's ease of use.
I put avast5 on, and had to download their special removal tool to uninstall it.

I used it for awhile before with no problems, then switched to AVG for a reason I've forgotten. Neither could find the virus I had, Alureon.h, and MSE did.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #59
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Someone I know thinks he may have had his PC compromised intentionally. My gut feel is that any deliberately-placed tool will be able to clean itself and all traces of it's presence from the file system, but he is wanting to know what options he has. I suggested he start with these spyware tools in the OP, but any other thoughts or suggestions?

I work in the security business, but on the enterprise product side - not forensics - and don't really have a clue where to begin..
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #60
PFG

That seems beyond my scope, for sure, but a program like Hijackfree can be useful to show exactly what is running while your computer is.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry