click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 06-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #81
V10KLZZ71S
Ford Lover

Location: Gretna,Louisiana/Tennessee Colony, Texas/Lower Alabama
That was awesome, that guy has some skills. I like that kind of stuff. I am a bit of an oddity I guess, I love jazz, bluegrass,old country,old funk especially James Brown and also hardcore stuff. I used to play drums in a full gospel church. Hey if you havent heard this guy, I have seen him perform a few times and he is awesome slide player.
http://www.sonnylandreth.com/
Old 06-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #82
lowtone9
WWQD?

Me too, I like it all, but only stipulate that the music must at least fool me into believing that it comes mostly from the heart. The problem is that I`m not very easily fooled, so most pop styles are not interesting to me, although sometimes I can appreciate the awesome musicianship.

Do you make the heritage fest this year? What kind of form was Dr John in, if so? He`s getting on.
lowtone9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #83
V10KLZZ71S
Ford Lover

Location: Gretna,Louisiana/Tennessee Colony, Texas/Lower Alabama
I was offshore on a drilling rig like I am now.Missed the jazz fest.I heard the Allmond Bros[sp?] jammed.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #84
COfz1

okaugust-If your daughter is playing alto she should really check out Cannonball Adderley. Most any of the stuff that he did with his brother Nat (coronet) is really good.

Don't worry, some music teachers (myself included) actually listen to A LOT of music. It's too bad her teacher can't help out more.

There's also an all female big band named "Diva" that is an absolutely smokin' band. I've never seen them in person, but they have come through Colorado a couple times.
COfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #85
lowtone9
WWQD?

My first alto sax was a King Zephyr Special with a silver neck and bell, just like Cannonballs`horn. He was my teacher, sporadically, for two years.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:50 AM   #86
Blueliner
Shaken not stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I find the commercialized soft "jazz" ("The River", "The Breeze") just too soporific.
I agree. Coltrane, Davis, Brubeck. Radio jazz has lost its edge and become soft and weak.
Blueliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #87
okaugust
Goddamn bluebird of happiness

Thank you for the suggestions COfz1. I think she is at a crossroads right now. Her situation is the regular band class is a much more fun bunch, but the band instructor is a flaming dork who loves marches and flute solos. In jazz band they learn music she enjoys, but being the only girl with seven boys wears on her, and the jazz teacher is good, but not really motivating or engaging them in competitions or performing outside of school.
Unlike Fairview HS in Boulder where they have more than one jazz band, "chairs," they compete and have one kid signed up for Julliard, Broomfield HS is like the other end of the spetrum, eight kids just sitting around learning to play and not taking it anywhere. One seems over the top to me, for jazz styling, and the other is way under par.
She isn't old enough to get around on her own to concerts or to get into bars where you find good jazz. And putting together a band outside of school that isn't a standard garage rock band probably isn't in the cards.
But I keep encouraging her and hope she can hang with it thru high school because I think she'll find when she gets to college the opportunities open up with what she can do with it. Even back when she was practicing the standard regular band tunes three years ago, she would open up something she just felt like playing, and it is beautiful. I don't want her to lose that.
I'm always trying to show her more links and history and great performers, etc. Thanks for keeping the thread alive!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #88
lowtone9
WWQD?

Quick, find her a private teacher. In Denver there should be many. I know it`s an expense, but you must do this.

Another option is to send her to one of the many short summer jazz camps. Great experience for her, she would be completely immersed in jazz for a week or so. Jamey Aebersold runs a very good one, this from personal experience.

Listen, this is important.

Found this in a second: http://www.denverpost.com/saunders/ci_4595352
Old 06-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #89
Alley Oop
Proof That Man Rode Dinosaurs

Teaching my daughter photography, she caught me trying to play jazz trumpet yesterday.

I played trombone but always wanted to play trumpet and saxophone.

As I understand it, you're actually supposed to have your pinky finger on top of the finger hook while playing and hook it in only when needing one hand to flip music, drink beer, etc. I obviously have little idea what I'm doing just yet. Fun to noodle around, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 023w5_070602.jpg (40.3 KB, 238 views)
Alley Oop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #90
Alley Oop

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust
Thank you for the suggestions COfz1. I think she is at a crossroads right now. Her situation is the regular band class is a much more fun bunch, but the band instructor is a flaming dork who loves marches
Funny, I still hum the trombone parts to marches in my head. I always looked forward to playing them.

I second the suggestion for some outside lessons to challenge her. One-on-one mentoring with someone better works wonders.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #91
lowtone9
WWQD?

Old 06-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #92
okaugust

THANKS to all of you to get me moving. As I typed this morning and had to time to think about it further during our 200 mile ride in canyons in the rain behind 10 cars both ways going slow, I'm calling this place tomorrow...
Colorado Conservatory for the Jazz Arts
http://www.jazzarts.org/?site_id=179...2&page_id=1922
Time to enlist.

She says she doesn't want to quit playing jazz and the sax, she wants to be in a class there the boys don't pick on her and wrestle each other in their spare time. Ah, teenage boys...
Old 06-04-2007, 02:14 AM   #93
lowtone9
WWQD?

Last edited by lowtone9; 06-04-2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #94
okaugust

I remember when file sharing (or stealing as the recording industry calls it) started gaining ground. I was blown away by the amount of music out available out there that you just couldn't go in and buy anymore.
Youtube, while it now has to pay royalties I believe, or is getting there, is serving a similar purpose. Sure, there are billions of clips of morons on youtube, but there is also a wealth of things like what we have shown here that will contribute to keeping a genre like jazz alive. Clips of forgotten people, songs, shows. Incredible.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #95
COfz1

I was going to suggest CCJA also. Rocky Mountain Center for Musical Arts (RMCMA) used to do a summer jazz workshop and maybe a band. I'm not sure if they still do though. It's in the "downtown" area of Lafayette. The guy who built the jazz program at Fairview ran it. It's not a "competition" situation though.
COfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #96
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

low, you have exquisite taste.

There's a classic jazz station here I listen to. Nothing under 40 years old.

That's the stuff I like. The new stuff goes right by me.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:13 AM   #97
lowtone9
WWQD?

Well thanks Black, but I`m afraid you have me wrong, I like the new stuff too, unless you`re talking about this "smooth jazz" radio format.

In fact, i was trying to argue the point that the form is still alive in my first post, by showing a clip from a brand new recording by Wynton Marsalis. Now when we speak of Wynton, we should operate under the premise that, while technically more than competent, his work usually seems to lack a certain depth of feeling that we associate with someone like Miles Davis. It is, BTW, unfair to compare anyone to Miles who is of course a giant. So, continuing, I hoped to demonstrate that in this particular situation, ie a very small club with an appreciative and slightly rowdy crowd and a very good set of musicians, even Wynton can transcend his normal MO, and create spontaneous music that can be very moving.

Normally Wynton`s recording are so thematic, and kind of dry. This however is just a no-pressure "blowing session" and really illuminates what I think of as the essence of good jazz, which is of course improvisation and interaction live on the bandstand in real time. Interaction, is key, the musicians don`t just back each other up, they should react to and inspire each other.

Etc...
Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #98
okaugust

I called CCJA yesterday. I told them I am interested in about everything they offer, starting with the summer boot camp. The problem with that is it is at DU during the work day and starts at 9:30. That means three days of four trips in rush hour traffic back and forth across town. So they are trying to find some other kids coming from the NW part of Denver she can hitch a ride or car pool with!
They do have a fall program at CU that will be easier to get to and from.
I just did a search for RMCMA - their summer jazz class falls right on the weeks before and after our wedding, (after the kids will be in Idaho with my parents while Mike and I are in HAWAII!)
Thanks to all of you for your help and advice!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #99
Alley Oop

I like this one:

Miles Davis Live in Rome (1969)

Fast-forward to 1985. Electronic Miles Live in Montreal, Putting His Unique Spin on "Time After Time"

Old 06-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #100
MONGOOSE
Rat Bastard

Its all good, music is a gateway to the soul. This is a great thread.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion